How much will it weigh (08' Viper)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much will it weigh (08\' Viper)

The press reads 3400 lbs but I keep seeing 3200 floating around. I'm sure Dodge knew what it had to do to beat the Z06 but did they do the minimum? The 90 hp should certainly do it, BUT, did they go the extra mile because everyone knows the new Vette is coming. It doesnt seems to be all that hard, shave some weight with lighter wheels, lighter rotors, maybe the exhaust somehow and for goodness sake, put some race type seats in there like the do the porsches, they are cheaper anyways. screw the leather.

Anyone have any links to a lighter weight and MSRP?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How much will it weigh (08\' Viper)

If I read an other thread right, they started heading that way by deleting the crossover exhaust. Anyone wanna go from there and try to figure out other possible items?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From the MotorTrend article:

Cost: $90k (MT estimate)
Weight: 3400lbs (MT est)
And I wouldn't be surprised to see them wrong on both guesses.

The 3400 pounds is the current weight. Take off for lighter tires (no runflats), crossover elimination, lighter hood (guessing), and who know what else and I suspect that the car definitely lost weight. Many are guessing +/- 200 pounds, but we shall see...

As for price, their guess was based entirely on current MSRP. Given the occasional discounts DC gave on the previous models we can only hope that it stays at - or even below - the current SRT. Again, time will tell!

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe the most important weight reduction is the unsprung weight loss from ditching the runflats..

Years back I had a C5 corvette that I dumped the runflats for non runflats and the handling and ride difference was AMAZING! The ride turned to velvet...the handling much more capable over mid corner bumps...The hard sidewalls on the runflats really was a disservice to the car....

If I had to take a guess what most viper owners {03 to 06 models) will mod up for...

Its the tires....

Those non runflats will truly transform the vehicle both in the press reports and ownership reviews..

(Pls note this is not an insult to the 03 to 06 models as its a fantastic vehicle) I just think that dropping that unsprung weight of runflat tire design will have a dramatic effect on the vehicle.

dropping 50 lbs of unsprung weight is like dropping at least 200 lbs of weight as far as acceleration goes too..

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Add the clutch to the list of lightened objects. The hood may be lighter although it also could be heavier depending on the reinforcement, if any, around the new vents. The new transmission may also be lighter ( Although bigger gears suggests more weight not less). Can someone get the stats comparing the weight of the current transmission with the new one? However, on the weight added side, the engine may be heavier. We know the frame is the same,so no weoght was lost there. We also know that a component was changed out in the rear end. Is it lighter or heavier? I'd say at least 100lbs may have been shaved off the vehicle.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

one of the SRT guys told me it was approx. 80lbs less

This seems more like it. A 200 lb weight reduction would take quite a bit more than losing the exhaust cross-over and lighter wheels/tires. I seriously doubt there is much weight loss in the new trans and rear, if any. Even though 80 lbs may not sound like much, if most of it is unsprung weight, it will make a very noticeable difference.

Some have been voicing disappointment over the '08 specs, but I think DC really stepped up. Assuming the typical 12% powertrain loss, this car should dyno about 528 rwhp. Slap on a set of drag radials and you have a 10 second car in the 1/4 mile. Slap on a set of Khumos or Sport Cups and you have a car that will spank all but the most exotic and expensive cars in the world on a road course.

If the actual sale price comes in around $90k... sign me up!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

one of the SRT guys told me it was approx. 80lbs less

That sounds about right to me.

Lighter:
Wheels and tires; clutch and flywheel; exhaust.

Heavier:
Transmission; differential; some engine stuff

I'm guessing that pretty much everything else was pretty much the same.

80 pounds net loss would be in the ball park. 200 pounds is a bit optimisitic. Without a major overhaul and re-engineering of all of the car's components, I just don't see how you get to a 200 pound loss.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I believe the most important weight reduction is the unsprung weight loss from ditching the runflats..

Years back I had a C5 corvette that I dumped the runflats for non runflats and the handling and ride difference was AMAZING! The ride turned to velvet...the handling much more capable over mid corner bumps...The hard sidewalls on the runflats really was a disservice to the car....

If I had to take a guess what most viper owners {03 to 06 models) will mod up for...

Its the tires....

Those non runflats will truly transform the vehicle both in the press reports and ownership reviews..

(Pls note this is not an insult to the 03 to 06 models as its a fantastic vehicle) I just think that dropping that unsprung weight of runflat tire design will have a dramatic effect on the vehicle.

dropping 50 lbs of unsprung weight is like dropping at least 200 lbs of weight as far as acceleration goes too..

So many are stuck on this tire weight for the run flats. They are only about 2lbs lighter per tire, then Non-run flats. So you save a amazing 8-10lbs. Though I will agree,a non runflat will be much better for how the car tracks down the road and handles.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure about just two pounds. When I changed rims and tires, albeit i changed rims also, the weight difference was at least 15lbs easily. I picked both up while they where being changed.

As for the difference in ride and handling, it was night and day. Much lighter and more nimble.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So many are stuck on this tire weight for the run flats. They are only about 2lbs lighter per tire, then Non-run flats. So you save a amazing 8-10lbs. Though I will agree,a non runflat will be much better for how the car tracks down the road and handles.

It's not just the tire weight, but the wheel weight.

Runflats require a much stronger (heavier) wheel. Non-runflats allow the use of a lighter weight wheel. So, the combination of the non-runflats and lighter wheels adds up to significant weight savings.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If Dodge decided to save weight and cost by building the hood out of a single sheet of CF and have it cam lock to the body it would be fine with me. That would be more "in your face" racing attitude similar to the big tach with offset speedo appearing like an afterthought. :2tu:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It's not just the tire weight, but the wheel weight.

Runflats require a much stronger (heavier) wheel. Non-runflats allow the use of a lighter weight wheel. So, the combination of the non-runflats and lighter wheels adds up to significant weight savings.

Then how do you come to that assumption when the Sidewinder wheel weighs alot less then the 10 spoke or new 06 5 spoke wheel. The savings isnt going to come from wheels/tires.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I remember the white/black ASC viper at 06 NAIAS showcasing 610hp with weight reduced CF use throughout car. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see, based on the extensive weight savings it that 'other car' CF hood & fenders, magnesium & balsa wood floor, etc. It seems possible to be done...

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By the way, I went from my runflat tires to Michelin non-runflat tires and the specs on Tirerack showed that the non-runflats were only 2lbs lighter per tire.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think there will be a 5k+ option "ACR". It will incorporate the ASC Viper weight savings and the previous A/C, radio delete option.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dropped 25 lbs on a C5 corvette by going to non runflats.

The C5 Z06 also showed that it saved 25LBs by going from the runflats to the non runflats. (the viper tires are much larger so theorically the weight savings might be more than the C5 to C5 Z06) HTH

If I remember correctly the multipication of 4 is the value for comparing unsprung weight reduction to sprung weight reduction.

Just shooting the breeze so no flames intended.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey they bored out the block...isn't that a weight savings? LOL!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From this:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_detroit/0702_2007_dodge_viper/

Comes this: "In the power-to-weight game, adding 90 hp while holding the weight gain to three pounds hurtles the Viper a notch up on the Corvette Z06." So did the car actually did gain a couple pounds or is that just a guess from Automobile? Can't wait for Detroit!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I'm guessing the 08 will be about 80 to 100 lbs lighter too.

1 - Lighter wheels - biggest weight saving (compared to OEM 10 or 5 spokes) - 40lbs

2 - Lighter tires - 10 lbs

3 - Crossover delete (like to buy this set up for my SRT) - 30 lbs

4 - Lighter flywheel - 10 lbs

5 - Other items: lighter air box, lighter hood, lighter half shafts, lighter trans, etc.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ive already made my car 70 lbs lighter

35 SRT Sidewinders(still have run flats so i could lose another 10 there)
19 light flywheel
20 cross over(still have stock cats so i could lose another few there 10 lbs)

change to two piece rotors and lose anther 10

thats almost 100 lbs right there.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

change to two piece rotors and lose anther 10
I understood that switching to Stoptech rotors saves about 8 lbs. each. X 4 = 32 lbs of savings!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Lots of good discussion and I think Chris started it off with a nice breakdown. I do agree he may be a bit optimistic but I kinda like his glass 3/4 full attitude. Just a guess on my part, and as noted the tires alone don't change a bunch of weight, but wonder about those new razor rims ? Say 10 lbs on tires and another 30+ on rims, we are half way to an 80 lb reduction noted by one, in just those areas.
:headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang