How much would a dealer charge?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want to take my '97 GTS in to change all fluids (except oil) and get my brakes done (replace pads). I usually do my own maintenance on cars, but I don't want to void the warranty (will doing my own stuff void it?). Does anyone have a ball park figure?

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC performance could give you some good information and with them located in California (not sure off the top of my head) be convenient.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told $90.00 for an oil change, but that was before the price of gas got unjustafiably high so it's probably closer to $100.00

:curse:

I change the oil myself, and found a place that still sells Mobil 1 for $4.75 a quart; everywhere else is $5.36. I'm thinking about switching to Amsoil so I don't have to change it as often.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I want to take my '97 GTS in to change all fluids (except oil) and get my brakes done (replace pads). I usually do my own maintenance on cars, but I don't want to void the warranty"

How could there still be a warranty on a 1997 car? What kind of warranty is it? I thought that 7/70 was the longest that one could obtain.

Bob

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"I want to take my '97 GTS in to change all fluids (except oil) and get my brakes done (replace pads). I usually do my own maintenance on cars, but I don't want to void the warranty"

How could there still be a warranty on a 1997 car? What kind of warranty is it? I thought that 7/70 was the longest that one could obtain.

Bob

I just purchased the car from a dealerhsip, and they offered a max care warranty (its pretty much a dodge bumper to bumper warranty). You could try calling some dealerships and ask whether they offer a max care warranty for your Viper or not.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't even hesitate, just take it up to DC Performance. The guys there see way more Vipers than any Dealer in California, and Dan is absolutely one of the best Viper Techs in the country. If I was in your area, I wouldn't even question where to go .......................310-841-6996 and talk to Tony Parr.

You won't regret it, and you will have your car taken care of by folks who have loved and worked on Vipers for a decade plus.

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Viper

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't even hesitate, just take it up to DC Performance. The guys there see way more Vipers than any Dealer in California, and Dan is absolutely one of the best Viper Techs in the country. If I was in your area, I wouldn't even question where to go .......................310-841-6996 and talk to Tony Parr.

You won't regret it, and you will have your car taken care of by folks who have loved and worked on Vipers for a decade plus.

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton

Thanks for the PM, I'll set up an appointment with them ASAP!

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score

DITTO

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You say you do your own maintenance. It would be terrible to pay fees on such simple tasks. You can perform any of these easily and not be worried about warranty coverage.

Find a VCA member in your area and save $400 doing it with him and take both wives out to expensive dinner.

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is truely an easy task, if you have any mechanical knowledge you can do these tasks, if you would like myself, or someone else on this board could give you a walkthrough.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I just bought a service manual (thanks VCA)...I'm plannning on taking it to my mechanic (he worked on my NSX and S2000). It will be much easier with his "lift" and tools.

How different are Vipers when it comes to fluid/sparkplug maintenance? So far, the biggest difference I can find is burping and location of radiotor cap (that weird plasic bottle as opposed to a true radiator cap, plus the whole "turn the wheel thingy").

For warranty and major stuff I'll take it to DC Performance. Does this sound reasonable to anyone else? Any advice? :laugh:

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The oil change is very easy you should try doing it yourself.

Yeah, oil change is definetly something I do on my own...something I've gotten to know all to well with my previous Rx-7 (rotaries consume lots of oil).

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saint_Spinner,

Thats funny, I know what you mean. I used to have a 93 Rx7 that hauled **s. I really liked it since it had all the mods that you could pretty much have back then. The problem was that nobody was able to tune it and therefore it was just a few months between engine swaps until it would blow again.The car was in the shop 2 weeks out of the month.I believe I replaced the engine about 4times in one year due to the engine seals.Maybe Mazda will bring it back one day.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saint_Spinner,

Thats funny, I know what you mean. I used to have a 93 Rx7 that hauled **s. I really liked it since it had all the mods that you could pretty much have back then. The problem was that nobody was able to tune it and therefore it was just a few months between engine swaps until it would blow again.The car was in the shop 2 weeks out of the month.I believe I replaced the engine about 4times in one year due to the engine seals.Maybe Mazda will bring it back one day.

LOL, yeah I had a '93 too! Still one of my favorite cars...goes like stink and reminds me of the Viper's littlw cousin (looks wise). It was an amazing car, but after spending every weekend underneath the car fixing this & that, replacing numerous parts and constantly worrying what else will go wrong, I sold it. Piece of mind is priceless. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant