How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what we missed either, but owners sure like them. (Course, I like my GTS, but would still like to trade up with a willing owner of an SRT.)

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one has mentioned racing as a factor of their oil change interval...

When I don't race, I change the oil ~2500-3000 miles.

When I am going to be racing on a weekend (road racing _or_ drag racing), I'll take a good look at the oil and then decide if I'm going to change it before the races or not.

I almost _always_ change the oil after road racing and sometimes change it after drag racing, depending on how the oil looks and feels.

JD

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the SRT that much "better" a car than the GTS or RT/10?
I read all of the reviews before buying, and the key words seemed to be "better ergonomics" or "more civilized" and I think I read once where they have "better brakes". But other than that I also read that they were "more pedestian" along the lines of a Chrysler Sebring (Hemmings Muscle Machines - March 2004) or less raw.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything that states handling, or even speed has improved much, even with the 500 hp, and the 525 torque.

What did I miss?
One of the things I like most about my gen 1 is that it is NOT civilized!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
may be a waste but i change my oil every 1000 miles and tune her up every 2000 miles

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You change oil every 1000 miles and tune the car every 2000?
Wow!
Bet no one can beat that!!!
When you tune at 2000 miles, can you really tell a difference? Does it really run noticeably worse only 2000 miles later?
My grandfather said that in the 1930s the oil change interval was 1500 miles.
My Jeep has 110K miles, has never been tuned, and starts and runs quite well.
I just don't understand 1000-mile oil changes. Guess I'm just old-school. (Or new-school - what?)

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes I put my viper on the lift and lift it up just to look at it. Then I let it down. Then I lift it up. Then I put it down.

Lift goes up... Lift goes down... Lift goes up... Lift goes down.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper gets changed at 2000-2500.
Both my BMW's get it at 12-15,000 or when the car or dealer tells me. Seems excessive to me but the cost is on them. I don't pay for any maintence on the BMW's. Besides I won't keep them long enough for the warranty to run out. I get bored and trade.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BMW is big on testing various oils and the resultant wear on engines.
I don't understand why they call for these long drain intervals but I know that they must know.

I'd say that changing twice as often as they call for would be safe.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change the Mobil 1 oil in my Viper every year. That's only a couple of k miles. I actually don't put that many miles on the Viper.
I believe that any car deserves a change at least every year. No real science to that.

I change the Mobil 1 oil in my Vette and Suburban every 5k-6k miles.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JOE117, the reason I ask is because I know you drive yours a lot so just wanted to get your opinion.

Just because Joe's Viper has a lot of miles, doesn't mean he drives it much ;) (I drive mine about 18-20k miles a year :) )

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj:

How often do you change yours. I tried driving the car everyday but I ended up feeling like it was a "special" car not to be driven everyday. Anyway, I still ended up putting 10,000 miles in the first 6 months of ownership.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant