How to fill coolant overflow bottle?

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK I checked (with your help here on the forum) the level of the overflow bottle and it is almost empty. How do I fill it?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if ya take off the front bumper cover,,,, it's right there!
:D just open bottle and fill :D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
With the engine COLD, pull the rubber hose off of the TOP of the pressure bottle (hose is connected to the neck of this bottle where the "radiator cap" goes). ..then take a small funnel, as Chuck noted, and pour the 50-50 mix in (about a cup at a time), checking fluid level in the overflow bottle in the nose as you go. When finished, top up the pressure bottle to just below its neck, replace pressure cap and you're set...THEN, monitor the levels of both FREQUENTLY.

P.S. IF you have not changed the coolant before in this Viper (and, if no one else has), you are well overdue as recommendation is 3yr/36,000 miles on a 2000 Viper for first change, THEN, about every 2 years/24,000 miles thereafter using the standard Mopar coolant (equates to the old Prestone "green"). I DO NOT INTEND to argue the merits of coolants here ( as there are MANY who WILL), but would note that when the Gen III Vipers arrived, they were (and ARE) using HOAT formulation...which is not old Dexcool (OAT)... and there was NO publication from D-C that I could find that "blessed" an upgrade of coolant for the Gen I or Gen II Vipers to the new "stuff". So, I use "old stuff in Gen I and Gen II's, and HOAT in the Gen III...just my solution.

And, if you NEED to do the coolant, please read Ron's fine write-up on this board:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=254513&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys I think I will need the baster as the metal tube after the rubber part seems to be a little up hill. This will be my project for tomorrow!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car is the same year as mine. I use a funnel, Pop the rubber tube off under the pressure bottle cap, insert funnel in tube, fill away.

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used the turkey baster. Worked like a charm. Thanks to all I learned something new about how to service my viper!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960