How to fix the Viper most annoying design flaw . (battery disconnect)

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think that DC did that in purpose or did they just had brain fade when they designed such a stupid and complicated way of disconnecting the battery?
You have to:
1/ Jack the car
2/ Remove the (6) lug nuts
3/ Remove wheel
4/ Remove 3 screws,1 pusch pin and 6 bolts

Start all over again in the opposite order without forgeting your torque wrench.

Well, here is a cheap, easy way to be able to disconnect the battery without even jacking the car up.
Sorry, but in order to be able to do that in the future you will have to remove the wheel and the battery cover one more time.

The idea is to drill/cut-out a 4" hole in the plastic cover directly in front of the positif + post of the battery.

You will use a rubber plug (same that the on that you have in front to acces the back of the fog lights).
Part # 4708057 and don't ask me why but DC call that a Trunk Seal Plug.
Try to center the hole as well that you can and make sure that you don't make it bigger than 4"
You can always add a little bit of RTV if you want a 100% air tight plug.
Also remember that you are disconnecting the + side of the battery so make sure that the free end of the cable don't touch the frame.(you can put a rag around it after it's disconnected.
Now with a 8mm socket it should take no more than 2 minutes to disconnect the battery.
Luc.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you just disconnect the big positive cable from the terminal under the hood?
You must be registered for see images

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure what year you are referring to but try this:

92-96
1. Open hood
2. Disconnect the large red cable from auxiliary jumper post (on drivers side)
3. Close hood

96-01
1. Open hood
2. Disconnect the large red cable from the power distribution center (on drivers side)
3. Close hood

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are funny,especialy Kevin, too bad you don't know what you are talking about.
On a 2000 Gts and I am pretty sure on all Vipers since Gen 2,disconnecting the + cable from the jumper post at the PDC DO NOT DISCONNECT all the + circuits on the car.
Kevin, before being a smart a*** you should try to connect a voltmeter ( after disconnecting the "jumper post") at the 30A amplifier fuse and the 30A FUEL pump fuse and see what happen.

Yes you will STILL have full battery + power.
The reason for that is very simple,at the + side of the battery the main cable do indeed go to 99 (jumper post) but you have another wire/circuit (A12) splicing from it at connector C315 and feeding + power to the truck mounted relays/fuses.
So next time you have to work on the fuel pump/amplifier, thinkingt hat you removed all the + from the battery by disconnecting the jumper post, ( by the way why do you think that DC call it an Positif Jump Start Attachement and not a Battery Disconnect?), make sure that you have a fire extinguisher handy.
Luc.2000 GTS and owner of Service Manual

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why would you want to disconnect the battery? When you do this, the ECU loses all of its learned information for maximum performance. If you have electricity where you are storing the car, you are better off keeping the car on a Deltran Battery Tender. Also, if you do not have a power source near your stored car, and you do need to disconnect it, you would be better off with a battery cut off switch somewhere easily accessible, like the cargo area. Just my $.02

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire