How to get cas cap off a GTS?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Im trying to get this bad boy off to get it re-chromed. i took out all 4 bolts and now it has com un-attached from the car, but it is still attached to the gas pipe. How do i unattach this bad boy?

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Put some WD40 around the lip between the plastic and the cap housing. Then grab the outer housing with both hands and use your thumbs to push the plastic piping and they should separate.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was tempted to pull like hell, but I've broken a many a thing by doing that. I was wondering if there was something attached somehow other than just pressure against each other.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took it to the plating shop and he said he's done one before they don't chrome good. He said if i take it apart and take off the rubber seals he can chemical strip and polish it for $75. Sure beats a new one at $500

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some caps have plastic spacers if I recall... they will melt off when getting "chromed"... Most people buy a better looking cap or aftermarket... the "chroming" ideas have been discussed many times before.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took it to the plating shop and he said he's done one before they don't chrome good. He said if i take it apart and take off the rubber seals he can chemical strip and polish it for $75. Sure beats a new one at $500

I would disagree with the plating shop's opinion. I had mine done by a place in AZ. They took it apart, chromed it and put it back together for a quote of $100....the glitch was it took them about a month longer than the quoted turnaround time (think it was misplaced for a few weeks) so they sent it back to me and said no charge :). Had it done almost 5 years ago and looks as good as it did the day I got it back.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would disagree with the plating shop's opinion. I had mine done by a place in AZ. They took it apart, chromed it and put it back together for a quote of $100....the glitch was it took them about a month longer than the quoted turnaround time (think it was misplaced for a few weeks) so they sent it back to me and said no charge :). Had it done almost 5 years ago and looks as good as it did the day I got it back.

hmmm, sounds interesting. Unfortunately, even though i live in a big city there are only two chroming places. The one doesnt care for such odd small jobs and this guy said he's done it before with no good success. His idea of stripping the clear and polishing it doesnt sound as cool as the chroming, but if it works. I figure there is a possibility of doing it myself. I went to a store and brought it and they said try muriatic acid to take the clear off. I dunno if it would damage the metal though, so i didnt get it.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there a way to remove the main cop from the part that attaches to the body? As well as getting the hinge arm off and everything apart? I am no good at this polishing so I need it apart for the machine shop

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its been a little while since I took mine off, but you turn it with even pressure, and pull. I wet sanded with 400 then 600 then 1000. puff with 3m buffing and then polish. I didn't clear coat but not a bad ideal.chrome might peel, Mine looks nice.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a rechromed cap from R&J Distributing about a year ago. Came out great, and so far so good. They can rechrome the one you have if they don't already have one ready to go. Not $500 either if you give them your old one as a core. Just another option.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing to be aware of as this happened to me when removing the fuel door (pulling hard) the whole rubber O-ring gasket stayed on the tube so when I tried to install I said how the F.... , I didn't know...and finally realized after trying to slide over that large O-ring into the slot that it was easier to pull the ring off of the tube and attach to the fuel door and then pull the tube though. I learned the hard way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang