How to improve Viperdays?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost is my main concern, but that's racing. I'll find a way.

ViperDays is excellent. Keep doing what you're doing, I got no complaints. I wouldn't change a thing, maybe more single chicks.

How about a shirt or something for X number of events attended or each track?

Great tracks. Courtney and gang do a great job. I hear Sebring and Road Atlanta are on for next year!!! There's two I will definitely be at.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about real, actual trophies? No more picture frames, plaques and paper weights for the winners. The kind they pass out at bowling alleys and softball league is what we're all looking for. That's right...big, white trash looking trophies to put in places of the house where the gals inappropriate.

Also, why are there SO many classes? Everybody seems to be in either Unlimited or Super Stock. Do we really need Stock, Super Stock and Stock II. Why not mix in "Sorta Stock" , "Not in Stock today, but check back with us tomorrow", "X-tra Stock and "Original Recipe Stock"? When a guy gets first place AND last place in his class it's time to get rid of the class.

Why not have Stock (Super Stock), Modified (common track mods) and Unlimited (for guys who aren't gonna run street tires)?

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after trying to get the car back together, every wheel to wheel event gets better, now if the reliabilty of the car will get better, and give my pocketbook a break.....Viper days offers the most track time for any venue out there.
I am with PMUM, real trophies would be kool, with the name of each event on them, especially maybe one for last place.....I think Seth would like that....Just kiddin Seth.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had not been to a viper days event, since well, since Tony Estes could last see his toes.Some things are the same but most are dramaticlly better. When I last visited viper days Mumford was still whining about his brakes. years later after six different systems he still is not happy.Marziale was building a new car, years later and 10 different cars he is building another one. Whats better? Well everything. My main objection was that the race series was more about who wrote the biggest check than who was the best driver. Now skip has made the WTW series a spec class and the quality of driving is very impressive. The quality of the race cars has improved significantly. Especially the ones Archer built for skip and Foster.The WTW guys have learned to set up the suspension and are running monster lap times.Parise put his car on pole with a low 43.For Pahrump thats huge.The series is now first rate, very professional and will only get better with the new coupe.

Reaction score
Transportation is an issue. It was great to be able to fly in and out and have the car delivered. Without the transporter, I could not have made the event. The same rig (NASCAR 18 wheel 3 cars on top) is available for the Viper Days finals. The owner like racing and basically provides transportation at cost. This rig has the lower level for tires, etc. You could ship everything and fly with only hand carry. that is what we did. Most of our personal stuff was with the Angen's motor-home. I expect to have pricing for the OK Viper Days Finals by Monday. Let me know if you are interested. Need 3 cars to get the best cost.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

First, my son Scott is always talking about what a great time he had with you and that 4 wheeler at Watkins Glen.
2nd, Campfires should be included at every VD.
3rd, I agree, transportation of Vipers to events should be offered at a very reasonable price. I wanted to attend VD in Las Vegas but transportation couldn't be worked out. I understand mine was a special/unplanned situation.
4th, as a rookie driver and first time Viper Days attendee I was put in the "unlimited" class because I put Hoosiers on. I understand Michelin is a sponsor, even a major sponsor but why penalize me by grouping me in such an experienced and modified run group???
5th, more classroom/chaulk talk available between run groups. I learned something each time. I plan on attending several VD's next season. It would be great to attend a classroom discussion on more then the basics which was and is great the first time around.
6, One thing in particular I wish I had was a more detailed track layout. One I could take notes on and use between run groups to review and update.
7, Something I wouldn't change....the people!!! Skip, Courtney, all the instructors and all the others made my first VD a very memorable and fun experience!

Ed Budriss

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
possible policy changes:
a t shirt for every event included
instructors get the event and a meals for free
Race group gets Friday for free
Medstats good for 2 years
tighter tech policing...cheating has been rampant over the years
make the food packages seperate to keep the cost down
run rain or shine

possible people changes:
nada...zip...they are already the best!

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to make ViperDays better? That's a pretty tall order. Skip and his wonderful family have been making it better since it began.

How we could make it better is probably the real question. The health and survival of ViperDays and the Viper Racing League could certainly be enhanced if all of us made efforts to bring new people to every event we attend. An example that comes to mind would be Janni and Henry Cone. They are always the first to talk up an event here on the website and they bring a whole string of first timers with them to the track. If more of us followed their lead we could help sell out all of the events and continue to feed the VRL as drivers "graduate" to the next level.

In terms of Ed's comment regarding the drawbacks for a rookie driver using a tire other than a Michellin - I agree it's not much fun for a first timer to be thrown in with some of the experience you'll find in the unlimited group - but it is Michellin's party. The fact is, you can learn a great deal driving on the stock Michellin tires that got you to the track. They last longer and work very well in the rain - and you get to run in a group that is possibly more appropriate or competitive for you. In any case Ed, I enjoyed running with you at the Glen and I hope you and Scott keep coming.

As far as the trophies are concerned, I need to put in my .02. I was very pleased with the variety that was provided this year. In some racing series trophies collect and there is usually nothing to distinguish them from each other which I feel is a bit boring. Maybe something more traditional would be good for the Finals or the East/West Championships, but I did like seeing something new each time at the individual events.

My first ViperDays event was last year as a spectator at the Motorsports Ranch Finals. I originally planned to do 2 events this year and see how they worked out but I was so impressed with the friendly, professional atmosphere that I ended up attending the entire Eastern Series. I feel like I've made a lot of great friends, and had some very exciting competition while getting tons of seat time at the best tracks in the USA - I don't think gets much better than this!

Thank you Skip!

See you in Tulsa

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPORXXX:
Skip, Courtney, all the instructors and all the others made my first VD a very memorable and fun experience!

Ed Budriss

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great Ed! How's this for a t-shirt?
laugh.gif

You must be registered for see images

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a newsletter or anything that goes out? I only went to one event; Watkins Glen. Other than the ticket on the way home, had a great time.
Only because of my work schedule, I'd like to know of the events way in advance.

Any other changes? Can't think of any. You can't hold us all by the hand too much. We're all big boys and need to be responsible for what we do. As long as you provide the info, we should be on time for everything.

Track maps? Good to have, but Frankly I do better with just gaining experience. I find that the more track time the better. somtimes the classroom discussions get a little redundant. Just get me out there on the track.

I'll tell you one thing that would work great, but I understand would be financially unrealistic: Out of 8-10 lap sessions, pull the driver in every two laps and tell him what he is doing wrong. Keep communication open from car seat to track side with comments as the driver rounds the track on how he can improve.

Andrew

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew..I bet you got that ticket on Rt 17 between the Glen and Binghampton. I love spending time in the Owego County Courthouse. Did you say hi to Officer F_ck head? I got 3 there and now I set the cruise to 65

OP
OP
Fast Viper Dan

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TV coverage, Just once would be great! Maybe a documentary on Skip and his family's secess providing us kids a safe place to play!
Is there someone out there that knows someone at TNN ?

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Improvements Required:
Rule Enforcement- Beatings should be distributed on a very liberal basis. Top four nominees are-
Jon Scott has MUD FLAPS! Show me the Part #.
Paul Mumford, We have all heard this cheater story.
Ken Adelberg, Why not?
Bill Pemberton, Showing up is a rule violation.

Woodchucks- Come on Bruce are these stickers in short supply? Do you only have enough left to cover Mr. Woodhouse? Rumor is you've gone soft.

Gridding- I'll grid where I want, in any group I want. If Courtney doesn't like it then maybe a spanking would be in order.

Timing- My sun dial is more accurate.

Entertainment- We should all chip in and make sure Mike Quinn attends every event.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That reminds me...I think I deserve a trophy....errrrrrrrrr picture frame for being the only guy accused of cheating in Unlimited. I'd like more rules to be in place for the Unlimited class so I can better use my cheating skills.

Jon 98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is everyone bagging on the picture frames? Personally, I'm glad I got one -- it's going to make the PERFECT wedding gift for Adelberg...

I'd offer more suggestions but I'm still putting out the flames I got for whining about events being scheduled on Super Bowl Sunday... so I ain't gonna mention that again. I'm just going to crawl back into my hole and put a picture of Yosemite Sam on my mud flaps.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi again Bruce,

For those who go out with an instructor I would recommend having available those in car portable radio communicators. I took a couple of laps with Tammy and being able to clearly hear any advice/instruction was great.

Hey, Chuck, Great idea for a Tee-shirt!!! I take 2, how much$$$

Fast Eddie

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, Jon! I thought you would bring some used tires for me. OK, Skip, how about a good supply of used race tires for me, or first dibs at the used tire pile before they are used to line the track walls. How about a corded tires class for Mumford and I, the one with the most sparks wins!!!
BURNOUT.gif

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Last year I requested more Cabernet and less Chardonay at the pre-race parties. We saw alot more Cabs and Merlots, with a few Pinot Noirs thrown in, so I would have to say Viper Days is now perfect.

Okay , Scott, I hope this takes a little heat off your Mudflaps, but I havta admit, it must be funny when a bunch of guys are commenting in a crowd, " Da@#, I just got passed by a Viper, ...
and I swear it had mudflaps. " Go with the curbfeelers and you'll even psyche out Mumford.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A. Rental car group, should make Barone,PMUM and Pemberton happy.
B. Real trophies, or at least engrave the picture frames
to be used horizontaly instead of vertically.
C. Tom Glenn sun dials for everyone, or at least a way to know
our transponder isn't working BEFORE we finish a ten lap
session.
D. Scooter rentals, so this fat boy won't have to go looking
for ours.
E. Don't schedule a race the weekend after or before SEMA or PRI
shows.
F. New boat load of scud's for PMUM's 40mm driving light cannons.
(He could blow out Jon's flaps and make everyone happy!)

-----------------
David Jenkins
[email protected]
Chrysler Neighborhood Service
Viper Certified 1994
GTS Certified 1996

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by David Jenkins on 10-23-2001 at 09:37 AM</font>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPORXXX:
Hey, Chuck, Great idea for a Tee-shirt!!! I take 2, how much$$$

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to get approval from somebody with VD first.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Young:

Don't be afraid to re-classify drivers after you start, ie, if there's a guy running in a group thats getting lapped 10x a session, bump him down into a lower group. Better for him, better for everyone, even if the #s of the groups get a little skewed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you have to go call out Adelberg like that?

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted May:

P.S We will be at the Viper day finals next week for support, as long as your not faster than Bruce Donaldson.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nice of you to offer to work on Adelberg's car!

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon "Santa Ana Style" Scott, don't take it the wrong way, it was more than one person. It's just nice to have when race time comes. Don't have time for a tune-up before Tulsa, but watch out for lil' red next year for the scooter shootout. Maybe we could handicap Pemberton on CT's big pink machine...... for some reason, that doesn't sound right. dj

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99T1: Nope, worse yet. The ticket came 5 minutes from my home after driving 5 hours straight, from what looked like a 19 year old rookie. Good thing I have a friend.

Who suggested Pit Babes? Great idea! Definately would improve track times. Better yet, I think to accompany the classroom discussions, there should be massages available. Didn't Skip say it's necessary to relax?

Seriously though, I think I learned the most when I was able to follow Skip for two laps at Watkins, then he went in and I went on myself for four-five laps. My track time and confidence improved after that session, more than the other sessions combined with an instructor in the car. When I did a Pocono event with a racing school once, we did the same thing, and I found it better than having an instructor in the car. With an instructor, it is a defensive situation. You already made the mistake and then he corrects you. When you follow an instructor, it is a more offensive situation. You are making the correct moves with him and then you just continue on in that track. Big difference. I'll make a point in future events of asking to follow an instructor rather than having one in the car, unless it's one of the Pit Babes.

Thanks,
Andrew

Al Roberts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see the food and parties seperate from the track time costs. I would also like to see the top three in there class if there are enough people signed up, to get money back or off the next race. An incentive to come back and race again. It does't have to be much, just something to off set some cost of the weekend. I think that a lower cost would bring out more people to the track, which should off set the the lowers price.
Some of us have wifes and families to support besides tring to races a Viper.

Jon 98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, I psyched out Mumford once by putting the "Naked Lady Silhouette" on the mudflaps. (He said, "Hey, I think that's Candi..." and then he lost it.) Unfortunately, I got out-psyched when I heard Dixie blaring out of his air horns...errrr driving light cannons...errrrr brake ducts.

DJ, I have NO idea who "borrowed" PMUM's scooter... This lazy boy has stepped up and now I only steal the Schley's bad-a$$ scooter.

The rental car run group idea has some merit. But we would need a separate class for tow vehicles though.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a scooter relay, with trophies for the whinning Mumford. I think Jon Scott wins the "red-neck" Viper Mod. award. I think I saw a pine tree air freshener too and a gun rack. Nothing beats my "chicken coop" trailer.

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two words.... PIT BABES.

As far as the trophies go, just rotate them year-to-year with something different, so you don't accumulate a collection that all look the same. The year-end ones should certainly be the good 'ol bowling style ones mumford referred to.

I also agree on the classes, too many.

Don't be afraid to re-classify drivers after you start, ie, if there's a guy running in a group thats getting lapped 10x a session, bump him down into a lower group. Better for him, better for everyone, even if the #s of the groups get a little skewed.

In all, I love ViperDays and you'll see me at as many as I can make it to.