How to lock down your hood

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy an aftermarket hood lock (chain assembly?) for my 96'gts hood? I'm looking for one that you dont have to cut holes in the hood for. (Like we all want to do that!!) Any help would be great.......

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although the alarm would sound, I was concerned that the hood pull could be released. What I did was... made a small steel plate up that slots over the hood pull, and prevents it from being pulled, because the plate jams it. I secured the plate with a padlock that passes through a small hole I drilled in the hood pull and the plate!

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coz it would be all too easy to pop the hood for an uninvited peep, and maybe even souvenirs! I don't trust anyone, some people will pinch anything, even if its bolted down! Most people don't take much notice of a car alarm going off, (although they probably would if it was backed up by my shotgun; hope I never catch thieving hands near by beloved!) It's the only car I know of that you can access the hood release from outside the car, I just think the temptation would be too much to risk. It's my daily drive, and I watch that snake like a hawk, and still I've had wheel valve caps and badges go, arghh...

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, but the main purpose is because I am renting my GTS and would hate to have some parts exchanged (you have to think of everything in this business) I know that in Vegas they actually drill through the hood to lock it down....don't really want to go this route. Maybe I'll buy those plastic trailer seals.....mmmmmmm. Anyone else out there have an idea? Nadine, could you email me some pics?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple, but effective. It does the job! I'll see about getting some pics taken, or drawings. Bear with me, it was just something I knocked up over night!

I tell thee, when I drilled that hood release pull, by hand, I'd only had my Viper several hours...and there I was drilling holes in it...my hands were shaking!

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who's makes the electric hood release? Do you have a web site I could buy it off from or is it just something I can pick up at the local auto store? Who installed it? A Dodge tech? Thanks for all your help.

Steve

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Dodge alarm 1992-96 RT was crummy.........you would have to by an aftermarket VIPER (or Clifford?) to protect the hood/trunk.

The 97GTS-97 was not much better...the 98 finally got away from the Lebaron EEU........

Aftermarket VIPER system with sequencing LEDs on dash look best.(ala KIT-2000 !!)

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
I haven't had anyone (that I know of), try to open the hood on our '94, but, there is no alarm hooked up to it on the '94's, as you know. That makes me feel a little uneasy when I park it somewhere. Is there an easy fix for the alarm to tie it in to the hood also? I know that the newer Vipers do have an alarm switch for the hood release, but how can I tie one into my '94? It's just for a little more security, that's all.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why???...Why not???

After living in NYC for 16 years and seeing my cars and trucks malicously damaged I went to great extent to protect my Snake. I got an electronic hood lock that uses a cable mechanism. It is programmed as a button on my Clifford Intelliguard 8000. If you pressed the button, it would release the tension on the cable that would let the initial latch pop open. It even has a hidden cable to release the lock in case of power loss. It was an off the shelf unit with some minor fabrication needed for the install. It cost me $220 installed.

Nadine...how about some picts? Your set up sounds great.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SteveB...call Darren at Movin On Sounds 516-489-2350 ask him for info on the elelctronic cable hood lock that was installed on "Morgan's Viper". they did all the work and at the time (96) it was the first hood lock they did on a Viper. It required some fabrication but worked well with the Clifford.

Sorry I have no picts. The car was sold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad