How to NOT run a 550

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a "kill" story, it is a track story. The events described below took place in a controlled track environment. The following cars lined up for a little grudge match, errrrr scientific testing:
(1) 2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello. Upgraded exhaust, lightweight carbon fiber seats, highly upgraded nut behind the steering wheel.
(2) 1997 Viper GTS. Smooth tubes, K&N, 3.55 gear, aluminum flywheel, Borla cat back, stock nut behind the steering wheel (424 rwhp with just tubes and filters).

From a standstill to about 100, no competition; GTS eats 550's lunch repeatedly, unless 550 driver gets serious roll and jumps the start coming out of the toll booth, errrrr staging lane. By the way, the toll booth operator, errrrr track marshal, almost creams himself while watching the runs take place, and ****** and his family vacationing in their pickup nearly jump out of the cab trying to get a better look at this "Clash of the Titans."

Now things start to get interesting. The cars engaged in several roll-on runs to simulate in this track environment what might happen on a freeway, or such. Through numerous trials it was discovered that the 550 is one mean mother above 120. Thus, the key to beating a 550 to 150 is to build up enough of a lead that when the red witch starts to come on, the GTS has enough of a buffer that it can hold off the onslaught until 150 is reached. Pretty much anything above 150 and it is "goodnight now" to the Dodge.

Basically with the 3.55 gear set, the highest speed from which the Viper can start and have a chance to beat the 550 to 150 is about 80 mph. Start any higher than 80 and there is no way the GTS can build up enough of a lead to hold off the inevitable push that the 550 is going to bring somewhere between 110 and 120. In fact, every time (all 4) the slow-to-learn GTS driver started in 5th gear at 3000, the 550 walked it. Only when GTS driver smartened up and started in 4th around 4500-5000 did the Viper build up such a lead that it was able to fend off the 550.

If the GTS can get the 550 to start from speeds closer to 60-65 mph, it's all over for the prancing stallion. The Dodge can build such a lead that even the tsunami that is the 550 above 110 can't catch it. However, I don't have the empirical evidence to prove this exact scenario, since the 550 driver refused to drop below 70 at any time during roll-on testing (******).

Anyway, to sum up a day of data gathering:
0-150: GTS wins hands down
roll under 75 to 150: GTS builds up a lead and holds on
roll 75-80 to 150: REAL, REAL good race
roll above 80 to 150: advice to GTS driver: pretend like you are adjusting the radio and not racing, because you'll get a real good view of the 550's taillights

Additionally, the above numbers would likely have to be adjusted down for a 3.07 geared GTS that wouldn't get quite the same jump on the 550 at the listed speeds, and for '00 and later "creampuff" V10's that are consistently putting out 10-15 less hp.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I'd be curious what the difference would be with stock gears. I played around a winding track (aka sea to sky highway near Whistler, BC) with the same type of Ferrari against my '94 Viper RT/10 with stock gears. It was very close and a great deal of fun. I had him coming out of corners into the straights, unless like with your racing, the straights were very long. But he seemed able to hit the corners at a higher speed. But that might have been his driving skill versus mine.

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That happens to me all the time. I have a friend here in town with a 550 Maranello, and its pretty even till about 100 then after that he starts to pull hard. We both ran a 12.6 at the track the same day, but i ran 117mph, and he ran 116.
Interestingly enough thts what ferrari quotes the performance number from the factory.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good thing you did your testing on the errr track not the expressway otherwise the moderator God's would strike down this post
laugh.gif
I ran into one of those 550 Maranello's several months ago he wouldn't race but I was wondering what the outcome would be. Very nice cars.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, a few of us are going to the new California Speedway 1/4 mile dragstrip on Sept. 8th for its opening. This is one 00' creampuff asking if you have the cajones to show this time??????????

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid, we need to work a bit on the top end pull. I can see a set of headers in your future. Can't have some gold chain clad, Enzo groupie takin' the toll road challenge series. I also got an email from a Vette, Corvette-not to be confused with Chevette, guy that says he's really mad about this and he's going to tell his dad. dj

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kid97GTS:
and for '00 and later "creampuff" V10's that are consistently putting out 10-15 less hp.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smackie Chan:
The

Also, you should write a letter to your Congressman asking him why there was a CHP on the track and thank that particular "smokey" for already pulling over somebody else.

WAR SCOREBOARD!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the track marshall definitely has to do something about the on-track Smokies - not cool.

SloCal - come on, Creampuff, you have basically every bolt on mod available for your rig and you are still putting out barely more juice than a '97 coupe with tubes and filters, and to top it all off, you are rollin' rollin' rollin' in an R/T. You'll have to show that you can handle my 330i before I'll waste Big Boy's gas handing you an OC style beat down.

PS, take off the gold chains before you run - they tend to get whipped about in the jet wash you'll feel as you are left in my wake.

Oh yeah, and memo to all the Tejas/Florida pro stockers - just because I lay the wood to SloCal, it does not mean that you can feel free to pile on. SloCal might be a greasy creampuff, but he is MY greasy creampuff, and no one is allowed to bang my creampuff but me. Yeah!

WAR CALI CREAMPUFFS!!!!!!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sniff, sniff, smells like chicken, must be Kid97GTS. Hey Chris now I know why your Viper has yellow stripes not white ones. Three challanges and you're a no show on all of them, why are you so afraid of me? I'm only putting down 5 more RWHP then you and that's offset by the extra 80 lbs I carry over your skinny a$$. You sure like to talk the talk but then you need a wheelchair when it's time to walk the walk. Cars being even we both KNOW I'm a better driver, so maybe it is prudent for you not to show up. But if you do I have a Bengi in my pocket I'm willing to wager. Cluck, cluck, cluck!!!!!

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
But if you do I have a Bengi in my pocket I'm willing to wager. Cluck, cluck, cluck!!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on, SloCal, you know that's an awful lot of seat time for me to drive up to the track from my OC compound just so I can lay the wood to you in a couple right foot passes. You can keep the Benjamin, but I might be persuaded to come slap you around if you can arrange for some of your "talent" to show up at the track. I'll even provide the umbrellas for the talent to hold while we wait in line.....

OP
OP
K

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Come on Chris, we'll go to California Speedway's new dragstrip on the 8th. Just jump on the 57 and you'll be there in a 1/2 hour, I'll be there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I've got a better idea, have Driving School send in an uncashable check for $20,000 and "suggest" to DC that the new Viper add a back seat - that way you can bring a couple of your "employees" with you and the winner of our little grudge match will get some quality "seat time" with said employees.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you people get this stuff that a 2000 VIPER is a creampuf. My 2000 ACR dynoed last year at 422rwhp and the run right after that was 414rwhp completely stock. So what is the crap with creampufs. My friends 2000 GTS beat many cars even a more modified venom 600. Yes I agree that car must have had a problem but still my friends and my 2000 VIPERS are no creampuffs and neither is any other 2000 model.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ronto, I've driven 100's of Vipers. Yes, 100's. It's a fact that they are TURDS! Ain't no sugar coatin' a creampuff....it's a ****! Some of them, including yours, are the exception. dj

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should point out that my bone stock '01 RT made 408 RWHP / 442 RWTQ with 1150 miles on the clock, which is right there with earlier cars @ similar mileage. Of course, compared to its current state, it was a **** back then ;)

obModStory: going back to the dyno tomorrow to see what the latest changes hath wrought:
* Hennessey c/f airbox
* Polished and port-matched intake
* 62mm bored-out throttle bodies
* AL flywheel
* Borla 3" side-sill mufflers
* MOPAR ECU

Anyone in Santa Clara who wants to swing by, we'll be at the Mustang Ranch ~11am. Look for the Viper surrounded by Corvettes
smile.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
obModFollowup: the top Corvette at the dyno day made 395 RWHP (a Mallet 435 Z06) and the top stock-motored Corvette that I saw was a '01 ZR-1 making 340 RWHP. My car made 508 RWHP / 523 RWTQ, which is within the usual margin of error for dyno runs in my car (heat == rich == power loss); tentatively I'd say the latest mods made zero extra power on the dyno. It will be interesting to see what happens to my MPH at the dragstrip, which I'll be visiting again on 9/8.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LA, I haven't run yours hard, so you are excluded from slug status for the time being! The club's doing a dyno day next month. Let's see how she pulls then. Didn't see you at Sonic last night. We had over 40 cars! dj

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21