How to properly wash a Viper ???

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I followed the "Best towels to use to avoid swirl marks" thread with great interest.
http://207.36.65.11/ViperUBB/Forum14/HTML/003110.html

As a new Viper owner (2001 GTS Saphire Blue w/ Silver Stripes) I was wondering if any of you veteran Viper owners would share your car washing tricks and techniques with me.

After reading the above mentioned thread, it occured to me that it would be very easy to rub dirt or grime into your finish while washing your car. Thus, causing swirl marks.

Besides properly rinsing the car before you start washing. What else do you guys do to avoid this?

Do you use a special wash mitt or sponge?

What car wash do you use?

Do you have any other tricks or techniques you could share with me?

Thank you,

BLS

PS - I would like to publicly thank Bill Pemberton of Woodhouse Dodge. I contacted Bill last Wednesday and exactly one week later a brand new Viper GTS is sitting in my driveway.

In that time Bill also had a 1" seat lowering kit and several other performance options installed for me. Now, this might not sound like a big deal to some of you... But, I live in Orlando, Florida and Bill is 1500 miles away in Nebraska.

Bill Pemberton is without a doubt the best car salesman I have ever dealt with and I would without reservation recommend him to anyone interested in purchasing a Viper.

Thank you Bill... I love my new car!

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some of my car-washing tips which I hope will help you. Of course, these can be used on any car, but are especially important on exotics and show cars:
1. IF you have access to a soft-water tap in your garage, use it. This prevents water spotting.
2. NEVER wash in the sun. Wait till car is cool and do it in the shade.
3. NEVER use a spray nozzle. Use a garden hose with no nozzle and FLOOD the finish first. Working from the top down (duh) do one section at a time and FLOOD the area so that no air bubbles are formed. You should see the water sheen off the finish.
4. Use something that won't scratch and there are many choices here.
5. Many, many differences on how to "dry" but I myself use 100% cotton towels, slightly damp, and don't rub too hard. You can air dry with a blower, or do it a million other ways, but that's what I do.
6. Other tips would be to use Zaino to have a nice polished finish on the car already. This makes washing a breeze. You can also eliminate a lot of washing if you just use the Z-6 occasionally. It works if the car isn't real dirty. Same on the wheels (brake dust). Hope this helps. pete the ex glass guy. PS>>Sal also has a great car wash.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 1) Wait until the car gets REAL dirty
Step 2) Take it in for service for some BS warranty work
Step 3) Pick up a shiny, clean car in a day or two

This is the best way I've found to wash my car. Hope this helps!

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In response to your comments, the main reason to not wash your car in the sun is to reduce the chance of waterspotting. The water droplets evaporate more quickly in the hot sun before you can wipe the car down. I agree with not letting the dealership wash your car, even if it's a freebie. Took me about two days with a buffing wheel and lots and lots of work to undo the damage the guys did "washing" it.
(Yes, I know how to use a buffing wheel properly without damage, thank you). The best insurance is multiple coats of Sals' products making upkeep very easy, as you all know. pete the ex glass guy and hot rodder.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hot sun will dry the water quickly and create hard water spots. They are hard to get rid of.. But vinegar will get them right out....

Here's how I wash my car.

1. Turn on hose
2. Fill bucket with water
3. put wax/polish safe soap in it
4. Get nice soft 100% cotton applicator or sponge (cotton)
5. Wash car
6. rinse car
7. dry car (again , 100% cott. towel)

easy huh? Just like every other car I've owned.

Gerald

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal Rebel-

I have a few fine swirl marks on my sapphire acr that I tried to remove with Z5 (about 6 or 7 coats)- no apparent improvement. I then took the advice of trying 3m swirl remover (several tries at that)- no improvement. I then tried Meguiars polish alternating with 3m swirl remover- I am not convinced, but there may be slight improvement. Anyway, over the 10 weeks with Z5 did you notice steady improvement, or did they just finally suddenly improve during the 10 th week?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEVER have the dealer wash your Viper. It took me 2 months of Z-5 waxing once a week to get my swirl marks out, one trip to the dealer and the swirls were back, am starting the process all over. My only other recommendation is as your Viper is a dark color like mine you should use the Zaino Z-5 to take out the little swirls you will get.