How to remove leather dye

ZOOMBI U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My interior color does not match my vin , I have been trying to track down the original interior color and history through a previous owner, I have found that the interior has been dyed. I Have been able to remove enough dye to verify the color. Does anyone know how to remove dye, and or can it be done without damaging the interior. Cheers

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the dye, just re-dye the seats the color you want.

Laquer thinner will remove dye but you will need to re-dye the leather.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even better might be a trade. Post pics. of the interior..you never know whether someone wants to trade. Win-win situation.

OP
OP
Z

ZOOMBI U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The seats have either been recovered or replaced to black, I can easily have them recovered back to tan, But the steering wheel, shifter and hand brake were tan and have been dyed black, and are not available through dodge. The original owner didn't like the tan/black interior, I would like to put it back to original. Alcohol seems to remove the dye but I don't want to damage the leather, looking for suggestion.

OP
OP
Z

ZOOMBI U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a company that can rewrap the steering wheel and shifter, I have been able to get enough of the black off to match original color.