Hvac fan/blower motor "smoked"

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my A/C blower motor burn up and smoke the entire cabin while trying to turn it on. It would not come on and I left the ignition and A/C fan switch on trying to figure out what the problem was when all of the sudden "SMOKE" from under the dash on the drivers side appeared. AWWW $HIT!! I can smell something burning. Talk about a panic attack. Holy crap, I turned the ignition off then I ranned in every direction from the trunk to under the hood to under the dash (smoke still coming out) back to the trunk then to my tool box looking for I don't know what cause I don't know what I need at this point trying to find the fastest way to disconect the battery cable.
Anyways, I finally disconnected the + cable flom the fuse box up front under the hood (2 hex nuts VS 10 bolts on the battery cover in the trunk).
It turns out the blower motor has corroded and it ceased up although I'm not sure how condensation could have accumulated in the motor while operating.
Took it all apart to look for any burnt wiring and there was non that I could see. Anyone had this problem before.
I have the Max Care warranty from Chrysler and I wonder if this blower would be covered.
You must be registered for see images attach

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't get any smoke, but mine just quit working. I think the blower motor and resistor are pretty common issues. I went ahead and replaced both of them, since if I replaced only one of them (and it was not the bad part), it would end up blown again.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that. When I got the car brand new, the resistor was jacked-up. (only worked on high blower) Rather than hassle with it at the dealer, I just fixed it myself with a little solder. never had a problem with it since. Year and a half later, the blower motor went up in smoke just like yours. Had the same appearance of a water intrusion problem. I think maybe it's our fault. I used to wash my car at least twice a week,(was my daily driver at the time). And I'd leave it in the weather too (rain / snow). Apparently these cars weren't designed for that kind of over exposure to water. HVAC air inlet just doesn't stop water from getting to the blower motor. After replacing the blower, I quit the bad habits / Viper abuse, and it's been fine since.-About 3 years now, appx. 36,000 miles on the car today.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should no reason for the blower motor to smoke like that, maybe excessive moisture as far as the resistor it is a common problem on all vehicle because the motor is design to run on 12 volts to slow down the fan on low position there is a big load on the resistor it can get red hot that why I never use low I just turn it off .

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a $0.00 deductable but I have a feeling they'll want the vehicle in for the repairs.

viperscott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you can buy this blower for $60 and to replace it you need 15 min. Is it any sense even talk about warranty repair?

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can buy this blower for $60 and to replace it you need 15 min. Is it any sense even talk about warranty repair?
I need to have it diagnosed to check the wiring in case it fried.
BTW, where can you find it for $60.00 that's a good price.

viperscott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem and got replacement from Don Scharf from Wi... Blower not new in foil, but from 2k miles car. I strongly reccomend them for parts.
IMHO You don't have to worry about wiring. I am 99% positive nothing happened there.
When my blower motor smoked I was driving without roof on highway. From the side it looked like I had barbecue on pass seat :). I had to stop because I saw nothing - it was so much white smoke from vents...
Later I also inspected wires, but everything was ok. I connected new blower and everything worked. Looks like common problem with those blowers.
I did it myself because it was faster option, I like to work myself on my toys, + I planed for long time to insulate interior from noise and heat - so my head had to be there eather way....
If you have 0 deductible and not worst dealer close by - it is an option to go there.

viper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2003 did the same thing. I replaced the motor & resistor but I left that rubber vent tube unhooked from the motor. I think condensation from the A-C evaporator got in the motor & made it rust & stick.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer is close by and it wouldn't hurt to have them check things out so it will be there tomorrow, maybe they can spot something else out and replace it while its there.
Thank you all for your replies.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I access this motor? Mine is making a noise so it needs to be replaced. Do I need to remove any panels or just somehow get my body under the passanger side of the dash and unscrew?

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer your question KDR83, the biggest hassle is twisting your body in a way to get under the dash on the passenger side. Once you get down there, just look up and you'll see what you need to do. 10 minute job but very uncomfortable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery