HVAC Question

mtmclaughlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Armed2012's question about his air conditioner reminded me that I had a question about the HVAC system on my '94 RT/10. When I bought it last September, I noticed that the heater didn't seem to work. As the weather got colder, I got sadder--that is, until I realized that heated air would come out of the defrost and floor vents: just not the face vents. The face vents do blow air (they are quite strong), but the air is not heated at all.

I have not been able to determine if the AC actually cools the face vents. For now, all I'm sure about (100%) is that the air that comes through the face vents is totally unheated.

My first question: Is this an indication that there is something wrong in the HVAC system, or did they purposely build these cars so that heat only came out of the floor and defrost vents?

Second: If this is an indication that there is a malfunction, are these pretty easy to work on, or is it going to be like every other car I've ever worked on where you have to remove the entire dashboard to get to the heater system? What do you guys think could be wrong? Vacuum leak?

Everything else on the car works perfectly. A quirk out of a 20 year car is to be expected now and then.

OP
OP
M

mtmclaughlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hah, whaaaaaa? But... but... why would they do that? That's like, the best place for heat!

I'm happy that it isn't broken though! Thank you for your reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine