i am switching My 1997 GTS to biger rims, any issues ?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the gen 4 rims, and will mount onto my 1997 GTS.

Question, are the dynamics or stability of the Viper grip, balance, control, traction changed by these wheels ? I am currently on stock rims. I got the 5 spoke gen 4 rims NOS (new old stock)

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, what tires will you be using? PSCs?

Only got the rims so far. I was just going to get Tires from tire rack. i assume that I would use the OEM tire/brand/tread pattern/style that was used on the gen4 wheels from the factory that came on the car stock when new.

What does PSC stand for ?

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only got the rims so far. I was just going to get Tires from tire rack. i assume that I would use the OEM tire/brand/tread pattern/style that was used on the gen4 wheels from the factory that came on the car stock when new.

What does PSC stand for ?

First I am not sure if you are serious or just playing totally ignorant. Let me get it right you are planning to install runflats? You must have a death wish. PCS in this case stands for Please Stop Crazies.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I am not sure if you are serious or just playing totally ignorant. Let me get it right you are planning to install runflats? You must have a death wish. PCS in this case stands for Please Stop Crazies.

no, I am not playing ignorant, I AM ignorant to this area of tires. What tires do you recommend ? and getting back to the original question, would the larger wheels make a huge difference in traction and grip ?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the patch of rubber touching the ground widens, there will be more traction. normally id say do not use run flats but in yor case please use old ones.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the patch of rubber touching the ground widens, there will be more traction. normally id say do not use run flats but in yor case please use old ones.

Mr. Plumnutzy, Should I look for run flats that are at least 12 years or older ? and you say that if the patch touching the ground widens , there will be more traction, but what about the tire compound ? or is Tire compound just too complicated to figure into the overall equation ?? kind of like high school math ?? too difficult ???

Last edited:

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dynamics and stability shouldn't change in a negative way at all with your new wheel diameters. The big change you will feel will be from going to a great tire. I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport cups if you only drive in the dry, or the Michelin Pilot super sports if you do any driving in the rain.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dynamics and stability shouldn't change in a negative way at all with your new wheel diameters. The big change you will feel will be from going to a great tire. I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport cups if you only drive in the dry, or the Michelin Pilot super sports if you do any driving in the rain.

thanks .....

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will notice the following things: 1) If you go to a larger diameter tire, your speedometer will be off. 2) Again assuming an increase in diameter, you will notice some sluggishness in acceleration due to taller wheels 3) The new technology Michelins will transform your car in terms of ride quality and handling

I went to 19s front and rear. I am assuming that you have 18's front and 19's rear. I lowered my car with coilovers to compensate for the ride height change. I also went to a 3.55 rear end to bring back my acceleration +. I am very happy now......

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my Sport Cups in the rain and although I had heard plenty of warnings it did just fine. I didn't do anything stupid or get crazy with it as would any Viper caught in the rain. I have a felling hitting some water with some depth at higher speeds could cause some hydro planing based on the outer halfs tread pattern, it's basically a slick with some small ovals.

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bigger wheels = wrong speed on speedometer and you're effectively making your gearing longer.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the gen 4 rims, and will mount onto my 1997 GTS.

Question, are the dynamics or stability of the Viper grip, balance, control, traction changed by these wheels ? I am currently on stock rims. I got the 5 spoke gen 4 rims NOS (new old stock)

Good questions to ask before buying the wheels. Any mods to your suspension?

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will notice the following things: 1) If you go to a larger diameter tire, your speedometer will be off. 2) Again assuming an increase in diameter, you will notice some sluggishness in acceleration due to taller wheels 3) The new technology Michelins will transform your car in terms of ride quality and handling

I went to 19s front and rear. I am assuming that you have 18's front and 19's rear. I lowered my car with coilovers to compensate for the ride height change. I also went to a 3.55 rear end to bring back my acceleration +. I am very happy now......

Once i am rolling over 40 mph and accelerate, i assume no discernible difference in acceleration ? what do you say ?

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kratedisease:3212223 said:
Use PS2 or PSS. PSC doa. OK opp

Devil Worship Rob, Ok, understood, BUT what do you use for your AADH , ADH, BD , and MD ?
Good one! I put gen 3 ten spokes ( same size as wheels you bought) on my gen 2 and pilot sports 2. Great upgrade, car drives really well. Bolt on and no fitment issues. If doing it now I would put pilot super sports. All the Michelin tires are not happy in the cold but the sport cups are even more unhappy when weather gets cold.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good one! I put gen 3 ten spokes ( same size as wheels you bought) on my gen 2 and pilot sports 2. Great upgrade, car drives really well. Bolt on and no fitment issues. If doing it now I would put pilot super sports. All the Michelin tires are not happy in the cold but the sport cups are even more unhappy when weather gets cold.

thanks for the reply

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once i am rolling over 40 mph and accelerate, i assume no discernible difference in acceleration ? what do you say ?

I felt a difference, like each gear being taller. In some ways it felt faster at the bottom end, but Vipers have tall gears to begin with. I find that with my 3.55's I am shifting more like other street cars, which on the street, is a lot of fun. I can even use 6th! Since you are running that Roe, you may benefit from the taller gears...no..., WILL benefit from taller gears since you are making so much hp. and torque. My motor is stock, so 3.55 is a cheap "power" upgrade. Speedo, and ride height and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt a difference, like each gear being taller. In some ways it felt faster at the bottom end, but Vipers have tall gears to begin with. I find that with my 3.55's I am shifting more like other street cars, which on the street, is a lot of fun. I can even use 6th! Since you are running that Roe, you may benefit from the taller gears...no..., WILL benefit from taller gears since you are making so much hp. and torque. My motor is stock, so 3.55 is a cheap "power" upgrade. Speedo, and ride height and you should be good to go.

Thanks ....

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bigger wheels = wrong speed on speedometer and you're effectively making your gearing longer.

Any larger diameter tire or wheel can be EASILY fixed with a programmer or a new tune. Just a matter of taking the Revolutions/min of the tire and entering it into the programmer. The rev/min of the tire is available from most online stores that sell the tires.

If you ever want to fill the wheel well gap completely you will have to use a combination of lowering and bigger wheel and tire.

Luckily your car is a 97 and you don't have to worry about Traction Control or ABS errors which sometimes lurk when you change tire/wheel sizes which also would have to be programmed out in some vehicles..

ultradriver10000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wheel Diameter makes all the difference to the speedometer. Don't even worry about the tires they don't matter that much. Look for run flats in 245mm or smaller width, it helps with dynamic stability at speeds over 30mph.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang