I **** at drag racing at the track

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the 1/4 mile track on Friday and ran 12.685 at 115.81 MPH. Here's a slip of my first pass (first ever drag race ever). The second one I ripped the insert thing (the thing that has the shift pattern on it), so I got stuck in second. Anyway, here is the slip from my first pass. Check the horrible reaction time and horrible 60' time. I guess I just need more practice. I have better luck on the street.
You must be registered for see images

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The $4 cup holder is holding you back!

but seriously, take out your floor mats, drop your tire pressure in the back, increase it in the front, and go try again. RT isn't that important... worry about that 60 ft time. get that down to 2.0 or 1.9 on pilots and you'll be quite happy.

good luck!

JD

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 36 up front and 30 in the rears.

The 115 MPH is theoretically good enough for 11's, right? That's assuming a not-crappy-like-me driver was driving.

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes and no, i usually run like 115mph when i run a time like yours. Howevr i have gotten like 118 or so and still have been in the 12s

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used 20 in the rears. and still need a ton of practice for the thrack.

just keep it on the street. more fun there anyways.

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before my rockers, vec 2, Hurst SS, and tune I ran 12.507 at 115.82 mph. Nearly identical. I thought I got a decent launch but still spun a little though first, 60' was like 2.0. I have been told 1.7 is possible on pilots but I don't think thats possible. Did you use the water pit and warm up?

Don_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't use the waterbox with pilots... any street tire for that matter. You just need to clean off the tires (spin off the debris).

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's all about seat time. I rarely raced the Viper but I managed a 1.71 short time and 11.71 in the 1/4. Keep at it!

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.6 isn't bad for your very first pass. It will only getting better over time and it looks like you got off to a really good start.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.6 isn't bad for your very first pass. It will only getting better over time and it looks like you got off to a really good start.

Not only is that my first pass in my Viper, that is my first pass period, in ANY car. I had never raced at a track before.

I managed to make about every mistake. I stalled out before the burnout, had my headlights off, didn't have my chin ******** my helmet on (I thought they wouldn't notice), I went past the staging lights and had to back up, and the reaction time tells you how bad I missed the start.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its all about practice practice practice. When i was 16 racing my Mustang i did all those things you did like driving past the staging lights my first time haha But not bad for your first time. With your set-up and practice with kuhmos or drag radials you should be able to run low 12's for sure or maybe even high 11's. Good luck

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shoot, mon... I think I ran a 13.xx in my supercharged viper the 1st time down the track. we all **** when we start. you think 10's are easy?

shoot... i stalled out in the staging lanes TWICE in atlanta with my 800hp viper... of course, i ripped off a 10.x when the car finally got going but still... they laugh when i come to the line sometimes.

oh yeah... two words: line-loc ! (yes, i went out and bought one the NEXT day after stalling out in the staging lanes)...

JD