I couldnt get my calipers off.. :mad:

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I decide it'd be a great day to change my pads, I start with the driver front wheel, get all my tools out. take the wheel off, try to undo the caliper and it's jammed, really jammed. I hit the socket with a hammer to try to loosen it, nothing.

I put the wheel back on over frusteration since I had no help, Unless anyone can give me some helpful pointers I'm going to take to a shop, I'd rather not.

1997 GTS

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you using a breaker bar? How long was the handle on the socket/breaker bar...maybe try something longer to get the torque needed. You could also try PB blaster, WD40 or the like.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasnt using a breaker bar. To be honest, i wasnt hitting it full force. the wrench was standard size. I'm gong to hit it with some lithium grease and give it another go. I hate to bring it to a mechanic, I dont know any local.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you changing front or rear pads? And are you doing rotors also? Front pads you dont take the calipers off to install the pads only. And rears you can work around the calipers to do the pads.

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10+ hours (overnight) with a penetrating oil and a breaker bar and you should be just fine.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you finally get them off make sure when you put them back on use some "anti-seize" for the future. I put on Stoptech brakes and don't have to remove the caliper to change out the brake pads.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I decide it'd be a great day to change my pads, I start with the driver front wheel, get all my tools out. take the wheel off, try to undo the caliper and it's jammed, really jammed. I hit the socket with a hammer to try to loosen it, nothing.

I put the wheel back on over frusteration since I had no help, Unless anyone can give me some helpful pointers I'm going to take to a shop, I'd rather not.

1997 GTS
Ensure you are applying the force in the correct direction since you are not looking directly at the bolt. From outside the wheel well you will be going in the clockwise direction. Just a thought, not a flame.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeffsss, did you get it? Forgot to mention that if your breaker bar is only a 15 incher, you can always use the hollow portion of a jackhandle (which fits over a socket wrench) as a breaker....don't use it to put bolts back on....too much torque!

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeffsss, did you get it? Forgot to mention that if your breaker bar is only a 15 incher, you can always use the hollow portion of a jackhandle (which fits over a socket wrench) as a breaker....don't use it to put bolts back on....too much torque!

hey, no, not yet. I've been working and havent found the time.. story of my life.
I'm going to hit discount auto for some penetrating oil as others suggested and give another go at it on my next day off.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ensure you are applying the force in the correct direction since you are not looking directly at the bolt. From outside the wheel well you will be going in the clockwise direction. Just a thought, not a flame.

Yup, I thought it though. I've done brake pads before, thanks for the tip though, sometimes the simpliest problems are little errors like that.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to change a wheel stud months ago...strangely on my 02 there was no slot for the stud to come out of so i had to remove the callipers and wheel hub to remove it.

Leverage is your friend. I didn't use any penetrating oil...and i'm not a fan of impact (hammers and the like)...i would just use the closed end of a bing wrench to on the ratchet handle to add leverage. worked like a charm. (pretty difficult to get a breaker bar in there so i vote wrench).

I also just had my brake pads done on all four corners...i didn't do it myself (i've got a good viper mechanic i trust)...but i did hang out and watch. Changing the fronts went real smooth and only took a few minutes...but the rears seemed pretty tricky. even my guy whose pretty experience (has two vipers himself), struggled with them for awhile. It might be worth tracking a down a good shop and parting with a couple hundred bucks to save yourself the trouble (i was glad i did).

good luck either way!

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thought I'd update.

I ended up taking it to a shop where a buddy of mine works. We put it up on a lift and used a big wrench. Finally got them off. resurfaced and added new ceramic hawk pads.
strangely enough I still had about 30% pad left but they were making an awful squeeking noise which I thought was the idicator bar.
I went ahead and changed them anyway and I'm glad i did, the new brakes create hardly any brake dust and they stop quiet.

I peeked at my rears after I got those off and I had at minimum 60% so I left those as is and put the pads in my garage.

thanks to all for their input.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a tip for anyone that runs into a similar problem in the future, I have also encountered a few caliper and suspension bolts that just would not break free and if you dont have a lift even with a breaker bar you can't get into a position for leverage, what has helped me a number of times is this: making sure you have the breaker bar on the proper side of the bolt, place a hydraulic jack under it and slowly rise the jack, be mindful of your jack stands and watch them, enjoy the sight of the loosening bolt.....alway has worked for me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc