Select and purchase my first Viper...check

Pay for VCA/Venom membership...check

Can't sit still waiting for my baby to be delivered...:omg:

Pics: D & M Motorsports:: 1997 Dodge Viper GTS -

Let the fun begin...

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations. Sounds like the fun already began, but it'll rise to a whole new, unbelievable level soon. Enjoy

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
Congratulations. Sounds like the fun already began, but it'll rise to a whole new, unbelievable level soon. Enjoy

Congratulations!! The feeling is incredible! My wife and I just took delivery of our 2003 Red Viper SRT/10 7/17/10, with 2,200 on the clock, as of now we have 3,900 miles on her, and the honeymoon hasn't ended.:drive:

We bumped up a bit in HP & Torque, the last manual trans. car we shared was a 1986 1.8L Ford ****** GT (with wing). Don't worry, after delivery, no one will tell on you, if you keep looking into the garage just to catch a glimpse of automotive art!! :headbang:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought my GTS too and believe me,you have one sweet ride and a lot of fun ahead of you! Congrats and take 'er easy for a while just to be safe. :drive:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice looking car and you can look forward to a few sleepless nights ... right before delivery and then right afterwards when you keep getting up in the middle of the night to just go LOOK at it.

If you haven't already read the multiple threads about how to break yourself into owning a Viper, then spend the time doing so.:omg: These cars are awesome beasts and you have to gradually build up to turning all that power loose. Congrats on tapping out your free checking card in this manner.:2tu:

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good for you Mark. Hope you got a nice deal on the car. Enjoy she looks great.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some more checks that you can put on your list to do in the future:

(1) Change all fluids if not recently done.
(2) Get the fuel filter replaced. You might still have the original one.
(3) Check plugs and wires and change if needed.
(4) Replace PCV. Very cheap fix.
(5) Get the power steering cap vent. Also cheap fix. Small chance your viper might just become a BBQ pit.
(6) Upgrade P/S Pulley and Bracket $200.00 plus labor. Without this change, you could be left on the side of the road.
(7) Get the crank bolt pinned or at lease pull the bolt and use red loctite and tighten to 250 foot pounds. Could cost you an engine. I repeat, could cost you an engine.
(8) Get new tires if over 5 years old. Old tires can put you into a pole or tree really fast.
(9) Prob has bad motor mounts $250 plus labor.

Rev

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well played. That car has the same mileage almost to the mile of what my 97 had when I got it 3 years ago.

Enjoy it bro, but like others have said, be careful. The SECOND that you forget about the torque, it will bite you:omg:
If you make it past the 1 month time period, you will most likely be OK, but never EVER put the pedal to the floor unless the wheels are straight ahead.

Ron

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I won't become a full-fledged member yet. VCA has refunded my money because the website wasn't setup properly to cover 2011. So, I have to wait until that gets resolved before I can join. :(

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, congratulations and welcome! Take the advice from Revheat on next steps.
Also, you have a rare viper with the gold wheels. Might want to put them away in storage and find some 18" 99-'02 wheels and new PS2's. Your friends here will support you as well as find many ways for you to spend more $$$$'s. Best wishes, Mike

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark - check out the Detailing forum for a mini-gathering this Saturday in Doylestown..... come and meet us even if your car isn't delivered yet! Some of the other guys are bringing their daily drivers.

PM me if you want contact info.
Diane

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Mark - check out the Detailing forum for a mini-gathering this Saturday in Doylestown..... come and meet us even if your car isn't delivered yet! Some of the other guys are bringing their daily drivers.
Diane

I am planning to be there. I had PM'd thomsonracing for the details. There is a only a small chance my car will be here on Friday, but most likely next week. But, I'll still be there. I'll post a reply in that forum as an RSVP.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I picked up my GTS this morning from the shipper. On my way home, I passed a silver RT/10 going the opposite way. I think the license plate was SLY FOX. I have not seen a viper in my area in a long time. Anyone know who the sly fox is and/or where he/she lives?

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations on purchasing your new viper. She's a beauti and she's RED!!!!! You'll learn this is the best color as you visit
this website more.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats .... I know it was a rough weekend with the anticipation building up. I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, careful of cold tires on a cold road ... take it easy and let stuff warm up.

A drive by also, the only time I see other Vipers is at club events or the Viper Tech and occasionally at a car show.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Congrats .... I know it was a rough weekend with the anticipation building up. I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, careful of cold tires on a cold road ... take it easy and let stuff warm up.

The first thing I checked was the tire manufacture date and it seems these are the originals. Two tires don't show the full DOT info, so they may be reversed. The two showing have 416 and 446, so they would be 1996, which makes sense for a '97. So I guess I'll be shelling out a few more bucks for tires. :(

ViperCLKGTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your first Viper! I'm finsihing up the research part and moving on to the testing part!

AZMotorgod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats she's beautiful and very clean.

I actually like the look of the gold wheels on that car and the subtle little Sneaky Pete detail on the sides but it's very 1997 so mothball those suckers and get some sweet new rims.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look of the gold wheels on that car and the subtle little Sneaky Pete detail on the sides but it's very 1997 so mothball those suckers and get some sweet new rims.

Part of the reason I picked this car (or did it pick me) was the gold wheels. What I'd really like to do is find wheels with the same design, paint them, and store the originals. That would allow me to keep the look, but also preserve the originals in case I ever sell it.

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I emailed Parts Rack with the request on Thursday. I believe they are away at some event, so I'll probably hear back on Mon/Tue.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Lookin car Mark, I had seen it several times (I just got mine last week). I wasn't really sure about the Gold rims, they probably look completely different in person. They (D&M) always have some nice cars for sale. Great Price also! Enjoy

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks Matt. D&M does have some nice cars, including another nice Viper, but I won't deal with them again.