I HAVE A SICK SNAKE..ANY DOCTORS IN THE HOUSE?

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ON SUNDAY ME AND A FRIEND REPLACED THE FLYWEEL ON MY 96 GTS. EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTH UNTIL I TRIED TO START THE ENGINE. AS SOON AS I TURNED THE KEY THE FAN TURNED ON AND THE STARTER WOULD CRANK THE ENGINE BUT IT WOULD NOT START! WE MADE SURE ALL THE WIRING WAS CONNECTED CORRECTLY, STILL NOTHING. WE FOUND A BLOWN FUSE REPLACED IT AND ALTHOUGH THE FUSE WAS FOR THE HI-BEAM LIGHTS IT TOOK CARE OF THE FAN BUT THE CAR STILL DIDN'T START. I RESET THE ALARM,NOTHING. I RESET THE COMPUTER,NOTHING. WE TOOK OUT A SPARK PLUG AND COULD TELL GAS WAS GETTING TO IT BUT NO SPARK. WE SPEND OVER THREE HOURS LOOKING OVER EVER CONNECTION,EVERY FUSE...I JUST DONT KNOW. THE FLYWEEL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IGNITION. THE ONLY THING WE DIDN'T DO IS BLEED THE CLUTCH. IT DIDN'T SEEM NESSESSERY SINCE THE ENGINE WAS CRANKING FINE. THE ONLY OTHER THING DONE TO THE CAR WAS A NEW OPTIMA BATTERY THE DAY BEFORE WHICH I DID MY SELF AND IT WAS RUNING FINE. ANY IDEAS? THANK YOU.

vipergtsr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it is possible but the only thing back there is the coil wiring, so you will need to check to see if you pinched it in the bell housing when you reinstalled it. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTzViper:
ON SUNDAY ME AND A FRIEND REPLACED THE FLYWEEL ON MY 96 GTS. EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTH UNTIL I TRIED TO START THE ENGINE. AS SOON AS I TURNED THE KEY THE FAN TURNED ON AND THE STARTER WOULD CRANK THE ENGINE BUT IT WOULD NOT START! WE MADE SURE ALL THE WIRING WAS CONNECTED CORRECTLY, STILL NOTHING. WE FOUND A BLOWN FUSE REPLACED IT AND ALTHOUGH THE FUSE WAS FOR THE HI-BEAM LIGHTS IT TOOK CARE OF THE FAN BUT THE CAR STILL DIDN'T START. I RESET THE ALARM,NOTHING. I RESET THE COMPUTER,NOTHING. WE TOOK OUT A SPARK PLUG AND COULD TELL GAS WAS GETTING TO IT BUT NO SPARK. WE SPEND OVER THREE HOURS LOOKING OVER EVER CONNECTION,EVERY FUSE...I JUST DONT KNOW. THE FLYWEEL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IGNITION. THE ONLY THING WE DIDN'T DO IS BLEED THE CLUTCH. IT DIDN'T SEEM NESSESSERY SINCE THE ENGINE WAS CRANKING FINE. THE ONLY OTHER THING DONE TO THE CAR WAS A NEW OPTIMA BATTERY THE DAY BEFORE WHICH I DID MY SELF AND IT WAS RUNING FINE. ANY IDEAS? THANK YOU.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reaction score
Do you have a service manual?

Page 8D-6 of my 1997 manual speaks of a "failure to start test" which involves testing the "Auto Shutdown relay" (ASD) and how it relates to the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor.

I'll check my car when I have some time but maybe during your repair you may have dislodged a connection to the crankshaft sensor.

Also the connections to the ignition coils are right above the flywheel (page 8D-11). There are two; double check them both.

It also sounds like you may have left the battery connected during the repair; any chance that you shorted anything else out during the repair?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala