I just completed my last transaction with Jon B

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just want to put my 2 cents in . i have been a business owner for over 25 years and you get to deal with all types of personalities , humble , arrogant , easy to get along with , thick headed . You realize that you have to adapt to all kinds of personalities and that we are all different . The bottom line is you have to question peoples motive .Even though people rub us the wrong way does not mean there out to piss us off or cause trouble , its just how they come across and they may not realize it . When i had my first transaction with jon i thought he may have come across a little different than expected but i did get what i paid for . I just ordered headers , cats , and corsa from him and it worked out great and its almost like i got the cats for free. Told me he would start sending the order now even though i would send him a check . I dont get upset when people piss me off i just go elsewhere .
Im sure each one has a different experience .

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quoted from Jon B's latest email concerning my issues with his lack of service....

Yes, it was service without a smile. True indeed. Guilty.

Almost every business works this way. Fact of life: Repeat customers get the best attention and service and perks. Your 'history" here was one fully-cancelled order...

Do you guys think he gets the point? I think hes pretty hard headed. There is over 10 Viper members between 2 boards that have complaints about his handling of orders and customer service issues. I think the idiot lights are illuminated on the dash, they were put there for a reason, yet some people just ignore them until there engine stops running...go figure.

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jdr, you are in need of an alignment. I emailed him back ASAP after he sent me the wrong info on the email. I never expected him to chase anyone, if thats what you call it. I think Jon might be hiring, you might be a shoe inn...

You are one of maybe 3 people that had good things to say about him, remember that.

GG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only experience with Jon is recent. I purchased a mopar wing and he was able to arrange for me to pick up the item at a local Dodge dealer saving shipping and getting it immediately...great transaction!...2 days later I get a voice mail from him threatening me for payment ( I had mailed my check the same day)...as it turns out he was confusing my transaction with someone else, but it was sure interesting to see the "dark side". Bottom line...I think he has bit off more than he can chew himself and might need to add another person to improve the customer experience for increased repeat business.

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what its worth--I tried to place an order for a trunk mat a couple of months ago, and he came off as angry and rude. It was as if I was bothering him with my order. He just didn't seem to want my business. So I bought it directly from the vendor. He will not get my business in the future.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of us have built a business with customer service and others come along and simply buy a business.
If customer service is less than good it's only a mater of time that the word spreads.
I have also had "words" with JB. Called another supplier and found the same $1500.00 item for less after shipping.
I don't need to be insulted more than once before I find another source.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, my 2 cents. I will never buy from Jon B over his lack of professionalism. He has belittled me on a number of occasions. So much so that 3 weeks ago, I didn't mind buying all new rubber from Tire Rack just to avoid giving Jon B one cent of my money, or another chance to belittle me.

Please NOTE, his rating on this club is a 1.10 out of possible 10(BEST) point system. I think this speaks for itself.

http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_market.htm

(Look up "Parts Rack" under "performance parts")

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He sent me the wrong parts and it took a week for me to get it right. I had to call his vender, who I should have called and ordered from in the first place to get it right.
He is rude and a know it all and in my case argued that it was my mechanic who was wrong.(tied his lift up for a week plus) If he just shut up and listen, my problem could have been solve immediately. Instead he goes on how he sends out thousands of these and I am his first complaint.So I called Unitrax and in 2 minutes of listening "sorry we sent the wrong part we will mail it out today". Great company!
Although Jon did give me a speedo recalibration kit to make up for it. If only it had worked.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To summarize all of the above in a mathematical formula :

CS = [$/t]^2

CS : customer service index
$ : amount spent
t : time spent on transaction

As you will notice the customer service index can only be high in case a vast amount of dollars is spent or time spent on the phone is minimal.

I made the formula exponential since the highs seem to be very high and the lows...well low.

This strategy would work well in case of fast moving consumer goods, but not in case of high priced items where you deal with a 'better' clientele.

Time to bring in a consulting firm ? :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....On to the point, ...I emailed Jon B and asked him if he carried the newer, smaller alarm remote for my 98 Viper. He said yes, It would be $44.00....... I replied the next day and asked that he would give me a call to complete the transaction........He then sends me an email showing my order and credit card info.........Both of these pieces of info had changed since I moved so I told him that I had new info for him and not to use his info from the email. I asked him to contact me b/c our business hours differ and I can never get to him before his work day ends. ...Did you guys know that when you do business with Jon b that he measures your worth by the amount of money that you give him?????

The OTHER side of the Story, in case you, like me, dont have a life outside Vipers! (ooops, was that curt?) :

SMC (No name?) threatened me with this post. Quoting SMC: "Word travels fast among the Viper community. People seem to only remember the bad comments."
So, he makes good on his threat.

Now My secret confession:

I DO MEASURE AND TREAT MY BEST CUSTOMERS DIFFERENTLY than some others !

SMC's only other order he cancelled mid-processs, so SMC is NOT a previous customer. So his "Last purchase" is also his First. My loss I guess? I WILL bend over backwards for my customers, even if they buy just ONE thing. (Those who seek 5-10 quotes but never buy, or order and cancel, or dicker incessantly and then don't buy, -G?- DON'T get my best face, I admit. But I try to help anyway. I DO like my job!)

YES, I can be curt, while trying to help 30-40+ folks a day, 2-3 at a time, and I admit this fault. Speed + volume + only 1 JonB = occasional lack of friendly personal service. SORRY! But The LAST guy who whined about the exact same thing here (TB, thats you) is now a pretty frequent, happy customer. So If "SMC" gives me another chance, Ill give HIM one. But PLEASE dont' waste either of our time?

and now, The REST of the story...............

1) SMC is in a hurry to get a new small key FOB, says the big OE one is 'an embarassment.' Back and forth about whys/whens/costs/ordering.

2) I e-mail a quote, and then later the invoice, showing his address and card on file from the aborted order. No timely reply, So I verify (automated) the Billing address on the card on file: Bank ses "exact match" so I ship and bill. I ship quickly, in hope of impressing with service, not avoiding another cancel! I explain that even the batteries are included. I'm a hero, right? Nope, a DOPE !

3) Now, e-mail #9 - 10 comes in asking me to call after hours to 'complete the transaction'. I advise its already on its way, automated and fast cause He was in a hurry. I ask if he can recover or refuse it, becase the BANK has that address of record. He says probably, but He still wants to chat and asks me to call. I e-mail that "neither of us has time to chat about this $44 part." I'd go bankrupt if I did. Yes, this was curt and unfriendly. I am GUILTY.

That's when SMC threatened to tell the Viper community, and he makes his post above. A nuclear response to a mosquito bite. Some guys enjoy this stuff, as another poster freely admits!

Truth is, my good customers, past and present, frequent or even infrequent would probably get a $44 part FREE from me, because there is no profit in the transaction; Time costs more than the $5 profit. It's just as easy to give it away to those who 'earned' it. But for a 1st-time, previously-cancelled non-customer, like anonymous SMCabove, maybe it is MY LOSS. But my good and fast service proves that no good deed goes unpunished. But I have posted many HUNDREDS of helpful tidbits here over the years, and I hope the vast majority will forgive me .............AGAIN!!!!!

My good and regular customers, like most any business, always get my time, my best prices, frequent buyer discounts, and 100% attention, and even freebie perks. SMC implies this is WRONG. I strongly disagree. And if you CAN hang-in-there on hold, you'll almaost always get rewarded with a lower price. Try me. Your time on hold is WORTH the extra discount. Try me.

P.S. YES, Chuck T. is a good guy. And an asset here. I buy from Chuck regularly. I refer locals to Chuck. I LIKE Chuck. But I usually /almost always sell for less, only 2-5%. Because we have to! Chuck profits on cars and trucks and great service.....all we have is PARTS to make our living. And we accept credit cards, and would even do so FOR CHUCK if he asks us to.

I deeply appreciate your business, and the kind words of those who seem to understand me. "Psychology Today" says that: 'people are 9-times more likley to complain than compliment.' So those kind words mean 9X, and I thank you....

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys...it all comes down to personality and how you handle intense pressure. Jon is probably (like me) and gets frazzled when a thousand things come at him at once. He has GREAT prices, is the most knowledgeable Viper guy around. Jon is one of the only Viper vendors that will reach into his pocket to support activities like the VRL and Viper Days. I had done no business with him of any consequence and he sponsored my Comp Coupe. I say that if he went off the handle once or twice, give him another shot. We all get curt when under pressure and say things we didn't mean. And yes, Doug Levin is a great guy too. We're all brothers here. None of these guys are trying to rip anyone off. (Compare that to the rest of the automotive world). Everybody wants to help other Viper owners and make a fair living. Nothing wrong with that.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had good experiences with JonB.

The brakes I got work great. He called with special instructions. He got me the fuel cap and several other items.

Working with anything Video related I have to call some of the Video places in Manhattan. B&H comes to mind. They seem to always have what I need, but if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about they get cold really quickly. Therefore I do my homework extensively before calling and ordering and try not to use the Salesman for educational purposes but for specific questions I've tried to answer on my own and have been unable to.

People like him make life interesting.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Jon has always been very helpful and returned calls. Once he called me at my request to talk to my Viper Tech about how to install a part. I've called and been put on hold also...so I wait to talk to him. At least you don't get an answering machine with a 1 thru 10 selection menu. Jon, thanks for the great service! :D

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB,
Why do you continually help me when i am in a bind? I never have time to hang on hold for say maybe less than 1 minute. When i'm ready to hang up and call back later you come on line. Are you testing me or just reading my mind? Thanks for all those Gen 1 Parts that i needed when i was in the process of re-doing my suspension, calipers both front & rear (OEM), and those pesky screws that i seem to keep loosing when i'm looking for them. Thanks for the Bleeder line that i broke and you sent to me "at no charge". Thanks for all those viper parts that i need when i need them. You certainly are an asset to this community.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, my 2 cents. I will never buy from Jon B over his lack of professionalism. He has belittled me on a number of occasions. So much so that 3 weeks ago, I didn't mind buying all new rubber from Tire Rack just to avoid giving Jon B one cent of my money, or another chance to belittle me.

Please NOTE, his rating on this club is a 1.10 out of possible 10(BEST) point system. I think this speaks for itself.

http://www.viperclub.org/menus/index_market.htm

(Look up "Parts Rack" under "performance parts")

Over 800 votes for a one rating. :confused: Looks like a slam job to me. Jon isn't going to instruct at a charm school but he has always come through for me, big or small orders. Lots of free tech advice too. He does have a sense of humor so just give him some shiite back his direction and you will be surprised how well he takes it. :D

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over 800 votes for a one rating. :confused: Looks like a slam job to me. Jon isn't going to instruct at a charm school but he has always come through for me, big or small orders. Lots of free tech advice too. He does have a sense of humor so just give him some shiite back his direction and you will be surprised how well he takes it. :D

Quite a BS system when you can vote(or stuff the ballot) in this case once a day. Here is the message you get when voting twice in one day "Sorry, you may not rate the same vender twice in one day."

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JonB answer this. I bought my EBC Brake Pads from you and the service was prompt, efficient, and done by email (guess never having to "talk" with you has its upside). However, when I look at your ratings under performance parts/parts rack, I see that out of 822 "votes", over 800 gave you a 1 out of a possible 10. Now if I was "checking" the ratings of vendors before I ordered from them, you would be my last, desperate, gotta have it now choice. You treated me right. The majority of others do not have that opinion of you. Alarms should be going off for you...some changes appear necessary. Remember, for the long run, the "majority" may put you out of business. Hope not. :(

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 01 gts that i was going to be selling and i had put mgw knobs on the car and a k&n fipik on(and wanted to keep them for my next car), well stupid me had thrown out my factory knobs and the center pin for the airbox. So i called JonB, and asked if he would have them and he said: the knobs would only come on the complete air contoll unit and had no idea on the center pin he would have to get back to me. Well JonB called and had left a message that he came across what i needed and had sent them out to me(no charge) not even for shipping. Now at this point i had spent very little money with JonB, I have had jon call me back and put me on hold but what can you expect with just one guy. I know JonB will always gets the first shot at my dollar, he even gave a credit to those who had ordered tires before another price drop(would tirerack).I guess he may come off curt on the phone sometimes but he always comes through and fast. Jerry Harvey

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I work with Jon a lot - but don't necessarily buy lots from him. I always get put on hold. He asks if I can hold. ...Otherwise, I call back when I have more time....He's trying to answer all the calls personally, so yes, you are going to be put on hold. He's pretty accessible and since we're on the East Coast, I can often get him after MY dinner........Perhaps Jon could tell us how to use his website for non-standard orders (once we've talked to him and know the price) so that we could update our CC information and mailing address via a secure transaction and a simple order would never involve a volley of phone tag........Perosnally, I wouldn't tell him to call me back to get my information if I am buying something. Don't do it to LL Bean, don't do it to Jon.

Janni, thanks for asking.

My website has a button in each category that sez "HELP I DONT SEE WHAT I WANT."
I usually reply to these e-mails within a few MINUTES during 10-hr days. If you have EVER been my customer, I store you and your Viper an OFFLINE database, BY NAME not E-mail address. So IF YOU SIGN YOUR NAME you can email "SEND PADS" and out they go. We worry about payment later.

If you just email as XYZViper, and forget to say your NAME Ill E back "WHO ARE YOU" which then makes some folks mad. But Jeez, please sign your name ?!

If you have NEVER ORDERED BEFORE, just use the secure shopping cart. You can write up to 2 full pages in the comments area, to order what you dont see, and get a fast reply and quote and / or securly update billing/shipping/payment info, and car-info. (Fleet Info at Cone's!)

Most 1-st time orders get a free die-cast key chain or doo-dad, and now that Ive EXPOSED that secret, just ask for one with any web order and Ill send it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Venom. Well stated. My only purchase was also EBC Greens and was also via email. No problems noted and service was prompt and included advice regarding cleaning of rotors, etc.

I did inquire regarding some exhaust pieces and Jon did take the time to discuss it with me. He indicated that the type of sale did not interest him (sale of flex joint portion of the exhaust) due to low profit and necessary leg work. But, as I stated, he did provide verbal assistance.

My guess is that most of the negative responses have to do with the negative demeanor presented initially during a phone call. A few extra seconds to make the initial contact appear more polite could go a long way. First impressions are lasting.

JonB I think many of us are trying to show support and provide helpful comments as you are a valuable member of the Viper community and provide a great service.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really Really REALLY hard to juggle 50 things at a time. I have a few folks working at my office and probably do less shipments a day than JonB does. he finds the time to email me with my "how much is this? And how much is that?" questions, AND he has time to shoot the... sugar with me when I have some question and I call him. I don't think anyone knows Vipers like he does.

It's tough sometimes to keep everything running smoothly... Jon probably could use some help, but in this case it *does* seem a little over the top for a customer to ask to get a call back just to solve something like that. I personally would find it kinda rude if someone emails and tells me to call them - like their time is so important that they need me to chase them and they will be available at their convenience. Given the story mentioned from Jon's side, I see totally where he's coming from.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I emailed Jon B and asked him if he carried the newer, smaller alarm remote for my 98 Viper. He said yes, It would be $44.00. I replied the next day and asked that he would give me a call to complete the transaction. He replied that he didnt know what I was talking about b/c he recieves over 100 emails per day and to be more specific, which is understandable.

SMC - Thank your for gracing me with a direct comment. :smirk:

The posted sequence of events (quoted above), show an initial quote, followed by, "I replied the next day and asked that he would give me a call to complete the transaction." ...and then things just kept getting worse.

So, like dude, read your own post before "aligning" me... :eek:

Hey, aren't you the guy that used to type his posts in ALL CAPS ...like you were yelling at everyone? :D

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
btw, just to burst the "who removed the 1 ratings from his profile" bubble which I am sure will pop up...

My company wrote the marketplace. We had provisions in place which prevents the same person for rating a vender more than once a day.

Someone found a way to break it. Over the last week they placed 799 ratings of 1. I removed them.

We also made a change to the script in an effort to lock it up so it could not be taken advantage of.

NOT TAKING ANYONES SIDE HERE. Just repairing my script.

I think everyone know what I think anyways... :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting. I thought it doubtful that anyones rating could be that low. Even John H couldn't get that low. Glad you cleared that up. Whoever did it should receive a posting penalty preventing posting for a specified period of time. If it can be traced to a vendor (doubtful) that vendor should have all advertising canceled for a time period. Just not fair to cheat in that way.

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon called me back after I emailed him, he spoke to me for at least 30 minutes regarding wheels and tires for my '94 which hasn't even arrived yet. He was the most knowledgeable Viper guy I've spoken to date, answered all my questions and then some - I will absolutely be ordering my HRE's from him. I told him right away that I wasn't going to order at this time, needed to receive the car first, and that did not deter him at all. If anything, he is a major asset to the community, and if people have had bad experiences with him, take it up with him privately, he is a business owner, and clearly he has been overwhelmed at times - big deal, we all get flustered at work from time to time. In the past, he has made it up to customers when he has let them down, so why roll the guy so bad in the forum?

Dave (CT.)

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this crap over a 44.00 part :rolleyes: get over it.
JonB is a great asset to the Viper community. Yes I buy a lot from JonB and yes I like the treatment he gives me.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey JonB answer this. I bought my EBC Brake Pads from you and the service was prompt, efficient, and done by email (guess never having to "talk" with you has its upside). However, when I look at your ratings under performance parts/parts rack, I see that out of 822 "votes", over 800 gave you a 1 out of a possible 10. Now if I was "checking" the ratings of vendors before I ordered from them, you would be my last, desperate, gotta have it now choice. You treated me right. The majority of others do not have that opinion of you. Alarms should be going off for you......

I am glad your experience was positive, and not tainted by this bogus rating system. I obviously have some personal reassessment to do on phone etiquette. My 1st REAL job at age 19 was 9 years in airline traffic control. Therefore, my phone etiquette is terse, pointed, and quick-paced ever since. I need hypnosis to break it. Im sorry, it's my worst personal failure. Please forgive me.

As Shelby3 says, this obvious piling on by 3-4 very mad and also threatening and malicious former or refused customers (out of 3000+), and 1 or 2 malicious competitors (2 specific) with a lot of free time is as scientific as phoning in to American Idol. In this microscopically TINY online community, even 5 folks and 5 cooperative friends can do damage.

Example: I have 1 violently irate person becasue I wont pay $7000 for their used hood. They threaten to 'ruin my reputation.' SMC threatens me, then posts 6-7 times in this one thread alone to plead his case and even bash my supporters. Please check the year-old bash-JonB thread. 5 guys bashed, and 20+ were fans. Its now 2-3 of the same bashers, posting 2-3 times each. But TWO of the old thread (TB, MH) have now bought from me several times, and we buried the hatchet. MANY MANY THANKS for the 2nd chances. 3 have not, and these same 3 have posted here again about OLD, OLD grudges. One is an ouright liar citing a Vendor as 'proof': Unitrax will confirm if you call Devin at Unitrax.

I also have a bunch of poser-KIDS who want free stuff and photos and Im not patient while working hard. I love kids at the track; Ive raised many many THOU$AND$ for kids charities; but ZERO TOLERANCE in my business day. Time Wasters and bogus posters. Those who go way back to the Car+Driver message boards I co-founded in 94 will clearly remember......hate mail from teenyboppers who are good at computers.

This is NOT to say I'm perfect....as my hurried phone etiquette trying to help 2-3 at once, and EXPOSED frequent-customer bias confession has proven. Heck, Ill put Janni on hold for a prior caller...and she's a good friend and a long-time customer, a good driver, and really nice to look at, too! (I almost said 'old-customer'....would that be rude and curt? Or Was that sexist?)

But 5 guys with a grudge and 5 teeny-bopper pals can DESTROY the 'rating' of a small business (like me) with a bogus "rating system" like this. Vendor bashing as sport and entertainment. Can you imagine, as likley as a thin-skinned whiney person is to complain here, that 822 votes are LEGIT at a a 1.1 average?? SHEESH! This board would be full of JonB problems DAILY if this was even the slightest bit legitimate. My phone would not be nearly so busy making folks hold! I would be GONE if it was legit.

The math alone shouts BOGUS and 3-4 malicious, grudge-bearers and their pals made it happen. And then they point out its very existance. Maybe 2 are clubby pals, and get some sick kick out of it. One other even admits it earlier. "Vendor bashing is Fun." And some folks wonder why I dont post here as much as before.

But thanks for your business, to the 22....even if the 800 supposedly hate me! Even the guy who bought TireRack tires in spite of me likley learned of the sale and great price war and planned increases because I posted about it to help Owners.

Can we just all enjoy our Vipers? If you have a real job, please go do it and let me do mine.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
you need a nice college co-ed as your ass-istant to help with the phones.
less stress and a nice view!!
make your days just fly by.....
there problems solved... moving along.... :laugh:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got here late, but I want to all to know that I'm calling JonB right now to order something. I don't know what (as I sure as heck don't need anything), but he's been good to me from day 1. And he is good for the Viper community.

Let me see...

Thanks to JonB for the rotors, brake pads, hi-flow cats, MOPAR spoiler, exhaust , tires, MGW stuff, car cover...

I'll find something to buy, I'm sure...

JD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper