I just got home from jail....anyone in here a traffic attorney? BS charges

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well,

Last night I decided to go get some cigars with a friend of mine. So we make a 5 minute run up the road. My car is sounding good and loud. We pull up next to a car full of small kids. The kid's father begs me to rev the engine for his son....so I give it a little blip. The kid's faces glow with delight and the dad say's thanks.

Now when I blipped my exhaust, there was a black Firebird sitting 3 cars to the front of the traffic light. I was behind several other cars and was not lined up against him. The owner of the Firebird hears my car and as soon as the light turns green....he nails it and squeals his tires along with his lound exhaust. I move forward in traffic and the kid's father lets me in the right lane since I needed to turn right. Traffic was moving so I gave it a little gas and got in front. (By no means did I squeal my tires when I moved to the right lane, but my exhaust is very loud).

Well about 7 cars behind me in traffic is a small town cop. I know he couldn't have seen my car right away....but I think he heard the Firebird and then he see's my Viper. He appearently automatically thinks I am racing since my car is loud. Part of the reason why it may have sounded like I was gunning it was the overpass bridge I was going under...it made my car sound louder. So I get pulled over and the officer goes through his normal ....licencse and registration scenrio. He told me I was racing and I told him I wasn't. Obviously he didn't believe me....(which I am sure he has a lot of those people that same the same thing). But in my case it was the dead honest truth.

He runs my license and sees 3 years ago I had a reckless driving charge that I was not convicted of. He comes up to me and says...I don't know who your high powered attorney is, but it was not right that you got off your last charge 3 years ago....I was like huh? He took me out of my Viper and proceeded to cuff me. I tried to explain to him my car is loud and I was not racing. No luck. He puts the cuffs on so tight, my hand turns purple and til this day, my hand is still numb. The officer tells me that the reason why he is arresting me is that I didn't learn my 1st lesson. I was like, I was not convicted on the 1st charge I had a long time ago. He said he doesn't care...so he hauls me off to jail.

The officer calls a tow truck to get my car impounded...As I saw the viper get load..I was afraid that they would do damage while towing. The cops sat there and laughed making jokes about how good he would look in my car.

I get in the back of the squad car and I am pleading with him to be careful with my car when they tow it. He starts making jokes about how he got a viper and let a GM car get away...he said that was kind of ironic? He contiunes to joke with his Sargent telling him how good he will look behind the wheels. The tow truck driver has no idea on how to load the Viper, but the cop was determined to be difficult. It almost appeared he wanted the Viper damaged.

I get hauled down town and booked. I was told by the lying cop I would be out in a couple of hours. I spend nearly 27 hours in prison for his BS charges. There were even cops in the that were booking me saying this is BS and I should not be in there. I got to spend the night with the Jerry Springer crowd that night. I tell you what, I hated every moment of it and do not want to go through this again.

The cop makes jokes on how his crown vic closed on my viper to his Sargent and how he beat me. :rolleyes: (Kind of easy to beat me when I pull over right away. He handcuffs me and I go downtown to get booked. Since this is my first and also my last time I get arrested, they didn't allow me to do own recongnices. I had a $500 bond. I pretty much stayed up all night with one eye open and one closed. The idiots in the system lost my paperwork and at 3am they want to requestion me. A person who had assult charges was let go on his own recongnices...get that!! :mad: I am harmless and this fool walks out. The guards would not tell me anything so I finally make my call and got ahold of my parents...my parents call for me and found out I had a bond...no one told me this in jail! I would have sat there in jail for 4 days. My poor wife comes down and post bail, but on the way of posting bail there were two screwy people trying to rip her off on her money in the courthouse. :mad: I got out 27 hours later and it cost me $400 to get my Viper out of the lot. My wife was real cool about everything and very supportive. I tell you one thing if you have never been arrested...don't! IT *****!!!! The Jerry Springer people you have to deal with and on top of that the attitude of the gaurds *****.

I basically almost loss all interest in fast cars because
I felt bad for my wife and what she had to go through to get me out.
My wife post bail for me and now I am a bit angry at this cop who did not even give me a chance to explain to him that the squealing and loud exhaust he heard was the Firebird and not me. Obviously he didn't care. He said he saw the Firebird ahead of me and he continues to say I was racing.

Now I have to get an attorney and the arresting cop was trying to be my friend on the way to getting me booked and he said the attorney would be a waste of money. He said I should just pay the fines and call it a night. Hell no! I am going to make this cop jump through hoops if I can because of all the BS he put me through for nothing.

The questions I had is:

1. Can the cop arrest me just because I was charged with a previous reckless driving event, but was not convicted of it? He told me that is why I am getting arrested was for getting off last time.

2. Can the cop record what I am saying in the car? It appeared he tried to coherce me into saying I was racing. I asked if he was recording...he said no...not sure if that would even be put into trial. The trial system is soo booked...I am thinking they just want this traffic BS charge out of the court system as soon as possible?

3. Any tips or advice for me?

The cop said I was speeding, but had no mph to prove I was speeding. He also admiited seeing the Firebird ahead of me taking off real hard. My passenger asked why they were arresting me and the cop said because we were drag racing...and he said "we were not racing". The cop replied...yes you were. So my friend says..."what is your definition of drag racing"...the cop replies..."I don't know". My friend then replies and says..."so you are arresting him for drag racing but you don't know what defines drag racing?"

I think my friend was doing more damage then good...but the good news is that I have a witness if I need one.

Bottom line this cop was out to make sure I was going to jail...this was not a fun experience and cost me alot of money and time.

Becareful out there!

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey AB that scks brother. The first thing I would do is get a real good lawyer and just rip that cop apart. Make sure you get all your facts together. Since he didn't get you on any sort of radar it's his words against yours. Tell him how did he figure you were racing and if so who was the other guy you raced.What is his proof.Good luck man

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Did they scratch your fascia? Or more importantly, did you get your car back? Or does that have to wait for a trial outcome?

I'm no lawyer, but I think you stand a good chance on winning a trial, because you have a witness, and the circumstances can be presented in such a way as to cast doubt on the officer's myopic version of events. If I was a judge, I could easily see that the officer made a mistake. I say go for a trial, and don't cave in. Its worth it, imho.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ab that Cop was way out of line! I would sue him personally and the City. Let that ass sweat when he sees that paper that he is being sued. The problem is that when any of us get pulled over we are in their world. They can get away with almost whatever they want. Well my advice is to sue him and the city make him sweat like he made you sweat. Well I hope all goes well.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the good lawyer thing. We didn't when the school here did a witch hunt with my 8th grade daughter so when they arrested her again we got a lawyer. He looked at the 1st court papers and said you just went through 6 months of diversion for what could have been her friends vitamin C that she had at school. I thought the police and school were the good people but according to one police officer there are lots of not so good ones out there. They even pulled her out of class one day and searched her because a teacher smelled cigarette smoke in the class room.
To me it's discrimination since you have a fast looking car you get arrested. My kid dresses in dark baggy stuff instead of her boobs and butt popping out of her clothes like the majority so she gets arrested. BS
I feel much better now.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just found out my brother got arressted also a couple of weeks back and they arressted him for a suspended license...even though his was valid he gave them. They later let him go and but kept his $300 impoundment fee on his truck...who was at fault...the way IN handled DMV records....it wasn't updated.

I will get an attorney, just not sure what to look for in one. I think my charge is a minor charge still, but having an arrest record to me is not. Plus I don't need my insurance to skyrocket or get cancelled because of this low IQ worm.

Funny thing this cop said to me in the cruiser...he goes " all my family are attorneys and I could have become one too and made a 6-7 figure income but decided I didn't want that and become a cop". I felt like saying yeah right!! You were too stupid to make it into law school...so you became a *iG.

My front fascia looks okay...so far. I am going to check it out in the AM....seriously this event really made me think twice about owning a Viper and all the troubles it can come with....what kills me is this happens right after I get done with my custom mods. The towing company was a big scam also! I got my car on my lift, but I am so tired of the crap I get sometime in my Viper....I will just let it sit there for a couple of weeks and cool off...I just didn't like putting my wife in a situation like the one I went through. While sitting in jail...I actually missed my wife! lol! My smaller brother was real cool also..he had my back on the outside while I was on the inside.

Am I ******** now?

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I just got home from jail....anyone in here a traffic attorney? BS char

First of all don't make anymore comments about this cop in a public forum, We'll do this for you! If you are up to the fight hire a lawyer and attack on as many levels as possible.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

First of all don't make anymore comments about this cop in a public forum, We'll do this for you! If you are up to the fight hire a lawyer and attack on as many levels as possible.

LOL! :D :D :headbang:

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I feel for ya AB. Sure sounds like a crappy deal.

I was going to be a cop, but I decided to get an education instead. (joke)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The sad part ab is that this cop could have gunned you down on the side of the road, then made up a story about how you made a "furtive move" and he saw a "shiney object" and "feared for his life" and he would have walked with your poor wife and parents left holding an empty basket. Except for rare occassions peace officers do not "answer" to anyone. A lawyer (I am one) might get you somewhere on a civil rights basis if he plays the race card due to past practices in the department or by Sheriff Cletus, but assuming your's is a standard situation your done with any rights violation action and you need to focus on whooping the racing charge to save your insurance rates and license. Forget the ridiculous towing/impound fees, they are a major kick-back racket and fighting it would cost WAY more than any potential recovery.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ab,

It's not the Viper's fault. Get those bad "get rid of the Viper" thoughts out of your head. A good LOCAL lawyer will get this thing dropped, definitely reasonable doubt here! A local lawyer with a good relationship with the DA will see right through this one. By the way, what jail were you in (pm me, I may know them). I feed inmates for a living all across the country. How was the food? ;)

Rich

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What a Doosh bag...

I have been in somewhat simliar situation. Not in my viper thou. I was at a club with some friends, one of my friends was a tad(way too) drunk and we were just about to enter the club. They told him he could not go in and he continued to ask why and the cops outside threw him against the fence and threw him in the patty wagon. I asked why they arrested him? Just asked, they said you better walk away before you're in there as well. I turned and walked, only 5 steps before another cop threw me against the fence and threw me in cuffs as well. Cops just have a big ego trip that noone can do or say anything against them. And we can't? I spend the entire night in jail, while all my friends that i drove there, didnt even know what happend to me? and waited until 5am at the car before paying a taxi $100 home.

So anyways i spent the night in jail with some WEIRDOS, It was creepy and noone would tell me *** was going on. I got charges on dissobeying an officer and talking back , im not sure the exact charges. What did i do? What could i do? Some cops are pathetic, just like the one who arrested you. I guess you could sue? I didn't bother because I'm sure it would get nowhere. It's your word against his and his always wins. Without video or recorded evidence, I dont think anyones word will be taken over a pigs.

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would definitely do more than just try to beat that case. Sue sue sue!

Sorry about your mishap.

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to hear your story ab. If you go to court, the cop will lie and the judge will believe him and not you. My advise is to forget it, and save the attorney fees.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would call a lawyer and then I would call that one person that handles situations like that.

Good luck!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where do I begin? Adam, if I replied to this it would take all night.

Get a lawyer.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I ******** now?

A ******** ricer! jk :D

By the way, your latest mods are kick ass... don't let that scumbag have any kind of influence on you. Keep your snake and drive it louder and prouder around his turf (just not faster, or louder than the law allows). Carry a video and tape recorder on you to log any contact with this @$$.

Go dig up Johnny Cochran and have his zombie carcass represent you. Those guys need to get their heads handed to them the way only Johnny Cochran could. As far as I'm concernd, your civil right were violated, and you were illegally detained, and those cops were racists.

Who says law enforcement isn't out of control?

Sorry this had to happen to you ab... we all got your back here.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maximum sympathy, make sure you get that injured hand recorded and checked. That could pay for a lot.

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That was a very tough break. The advice on forgetting the towing charges is right on the mark. Consider that a sunk cost.

If you don't have any luck with friends and family on an attorney referral, call the local office of the American Bar Association and ask them for some referrals on attorneys who specialize in traffic cases. You might do best getting an attorney who specializes in DUI's. He will know the in's and out's for your arrest since they are similar to what a DUI arrest resembles. A DUI attorney will know the traffic code and the procedural requirements expected of the officer who made the arrest. He'll also know the players from the government attorney's side of things.

Good luck. Fight if you are right.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get a lawyer! While your looking for a good lawyer, write down everything that happened word for word in as much detail as you can. The longer you wait to do this, the less you will remember. Get your friend to write down his version in as much detail as possible. Keep all your receipts for any money spent related to this. Your lawyer will want all of this information. As stated above by someone else, sue the city and the officer. Don't leave anything out and in the end you'll have a good story for the grandkids ;)

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go dig up Johnny Cochran and have his zombie carcass represent you. Those guys need to get their heads handed to them the way only Johnny Cochran could.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to hear what happen adam. Believe it or not, a very similar situation occured with myself and a corvette friend of mine. They put 5 cops on me, 3 on my vette buddy, and they claimed an undercover officer saw us street racing. Both myself and my friend were animate about denying it, becasue we drag race plenty and already know the viper is faster. Well about 40 mins later, they write me up on a expried inspection sticker, and let us go. But it scared the $hit out of me, because I had no way of proving otherwise. I think it should be REQUIRED for cops to have in car cameras to validate their tickets. Otherwise, how else can we prevent rogue cops from bustin on us, just becasue we have something they cant have?

Honestly sorry for you AB. I wish you the best. If anyone could pull this off, I think you can. Spend the money, get a good lawyer, and if I know you, you will end up with 3 vipers, your original one, and one for each hand that hurt from that azzhole who put the cuffs on ya.

Jon

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sue for wrongful prosecution and harrassment! Also, go for the race card, Johnny C. would. :2tu:

VANTA'SVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ab,
You can try the Jesus thing and turn the other cheek.
It may not be the most popular thing to do.
Just pray that God would soften that officers heart and open his eyes that he start doing the right things and stop doing the wrong things.
God will justify you.The only thing is that the majority of the time we wont see the justice God will do to him, but i can gauranty you God will Bless you and restore all that you lost 7 fold.
Please keep the Viper,there is more good that will come out of that Viper like the smiles you put on that mans kids face.That alone is worth it.Good things come to all that wait.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Well, I got an attorney...I like all the suggestions and support from you guys....I don't sound like a Rodney King do I? If I get a settlement out of all this....two vipers for everyone! LOL!

But on a serious note, I think I will have a doctor check my hand out and document it. I will do a time line for my attorney...but I think best thing that will happen for me is that I will get a reduce bargin if I am lucky...I know how things can be political in this arena....but that cop just boils my blood in what he did...then tries to act like a friend afterwards.

I went and hired the attorney that this cop obviously doesn't like. I am going to make this a circus for the cop. Also I found out one of my good friends is very close to a certain judge in town...not bad to have that also.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TO the Doooosh bag above who says forget and don't fight it. :fu:

Adam, Get a good lawyer!@!! Don't roll over! PM me and I'll give you a number of another Viper owner (doesn't post too much) who is going thru almost the SAME exact thing. He can probalby give you some pointers. Cop really ruffed him up for NO reason. Actually your cases are almost identical.

Sue him, AND the city.. Also, you would be suprised at how many judges hate cops. The truth , most of the time, will come out in trial and they can see right thru a liar.. The key is get a GOOD lawyer and spend the extra thousand or two for a retainer. He'll know what questions to ask him and will drill him. If he lies the lawyer will catch in court and make him look like a lyin' [******].

I've been there.. I got a great lawyer. The cops TRIED to lie their ass off, my lawyer tore them a new one about their inconsistencies and dropped all the charges.. LOL! The cops were cursing outside the courtroom on the steps.. LOL!!

I HATE COPS..

G

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That really ***** man, I wish you all the best in making that cop look like the idiot he is. Being young and driving sportscars, I can attest to the fact that cops pull people over that make them jealous. The comments he made about looking good in your car just goes to show he just wanted the ego boost of saying he "caught" a Viper. When I got pulled over in my Viper, I was subjected to every DUI test you could think of (passed all of them, b/c i hadnt had a single drink that night) and 2 more cops pulled up just to see the car. After all the tests were completed and I obviously wasnt drunk, all the cop wanted to talk about was how cool Vipers were. He was actually a nice guy, but I definitly feel like he targeted me b/c of the type car I was in. Freezing my @$$ off on the side of Interstate for 20 mins for bogus DUI tests was BS.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Nothing worse or more cowardly than a lying, scumball, pig cop. They are worse than the criminals because they betray the public trust and hide behind their badges. Unfortunately, the good cops protect their brothers in blue out of blind loyalty and instead they should be throwing them out of their honored ranks. If they did then police officers would be respected and trusted. Get a lawyer and go after this POS. May he rot in hell. Good luck to you and let us know how this comes out.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My friend got arrested a week ago . His License didn't match up with his SS number.Thats the new thing.Since alot of illegal aliens have fake licenses , they don't have Social Security. So the locked him up for 18hrs. It was a big compouter mistake. He is sueing now.