I just got home from jail....anyone in here a traffic attorney? BS charges

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I just got home from jail....anyone in here a traffic attorney? BS char

Make sure your attorney is a good one and has experience with this type of thing. Also check with the local PD and see if they do in fact have audio/video recorders in their cars - of course the cop will say they don't have recordings to protect his own ass. Most of them do and they will pick up everything said by the cop. Move immediately to get a copy of that tape if it exists. Find one that corroborates your story and you will soon own your very own police station. And that idiot's job.

Your attorney may also want to get the service records for that particular cop to see if he has any disciplinary actions against him for similar incidents - racial or otherwise. And definitely get that hand checked out and documented by a doctor ASAP. You might get the keys to the city along with your new cop shop.

I generally believe that 95% of the cops out there are decent (and we have two of them in our local Viper Club that are awesome). But like any profession you have some that can be real a-holes. Sounds like you encountered their King. Keep us posted on the eventual results and what color you plan to paint the interrogation rooms... :2tu:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tell that doosh I said "if Adam didn't race, then just shut your face!" What a farker.

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB,
All hope is not lost with a good lawyer. I am a Reserve Deputy Sheriff in Abq, and I can give you my $.02:

1. You cannot be arrested unless he either cites you for wreckless driving (or something similar-felony) or unless you had a warrant for your arrest. That's pretty cut and dry. This may be an illegal arrest from the start! I helped get off one of our NM VIPER club members for an illegal arrest (speeding)not too long ago.

2. You won't get anywhere with the cuff complaint. I've put cuffs on hundreds of people, and EVERY ONE said the cuffs were too tight- even though they teach us how to do it, and the judge would side with the officer on that situation.

3. Most, if not all good officers, will record every situation they are in. It protects us from the guy that lies about something WE said. It can, in some cases, work against an officer if he did or said something improperly. Via disclosure, find out if his SOP states wheter or not he is required to record his arrests. If it does, and he's heard making a fool of himself, that will only help you.

4. In this case, a good lawyer is worth their weight in gold. I hope you win this one !!

5 Your passeger provides a good eyewitness to the events. If you and he have not yet done so, individually write out the nights events in extreme detail RIGHT NOW for later recall. It may prove invaluable. Good luck

Keep us up to date.

Bill
:usa:

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Get a copy of the police report and see what the cop put down in writing. That's whats important. Also, get ahold of as many people that witness this and get their statements.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I drive like a grandpa because of a similar situation that happened to me 15 yrs ago driving my old Camaro. I thought the Viper was exclusive enough that I wouldn't have to worry about it happening again, Wrong!

Good Luck, I had to get an attorney and it was a nightmare, I feel for ya. Just remember this, I'm guessing you drive fast normally right? If all charges do get dropped, it really doesn't matter, that arrest record will follow you the rest of your life. In CA that means your car gets crushed.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Make sure your witness's are credible sources. (ie..clean records, no active warrants, etc...)

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Adam-

Sorry to hear you had to go through all that bro!!! That really *****. Makes me glad that I don't have to deal with small town bulls%$t. Hope it all works out for you. Take some time to cool off.....but don't let it get you down man.......your ride is bad a%% and you should enjoy it. Take care.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Note to self: stay out of Louisville and Fairfax, VA..

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right,"that injured hand" needs to be looked at right away.

You might just consider moving.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wait, Adam, didn't you have trouble with another local cop in your town?? Looks like they're really out to get you,..

Gerald

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know how many of you remember that mother in Texas who got arrested in 2000 because she was not wearing her seat belt. That mother has a criminal record now and lost her case in supreme court .... Lawyer is very important !

At VOI 8 in Dallas at the begining of the parade my car was hit by a driver: No insurance, no driving licence. The guy walked away .....

Basically the cops have all the rights as long as you don't get a good lawyer. And as said there are good cops and bad cops as there are good and bad lawyers.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ab, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Been there, done that. If you need some advice P.m. There is alot to learn before going to court on these charges. A good Attorney is key. I walked away with a $500.00 contribution to a local AAU basketball team. Nothing on my record or anywhere else!!!

1465scan-med.jpg

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1st off I would get a P.I. and dig up some dirt on this cop.

2nd i would make a complaint to I.A. or the civilian complaint review board.

3. Slap a big #'s lawsuit on that police department to get their attention. At least this way you wull have a bargining chip. They drop the charges and you will only want to be fulley rufunded all fees inc legal and p.I.

f em. ********.

vd..

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't give up on the Viper. You found a real A-hole of a cop and your the one to suffer. Give them hell :mad:

Chuck

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Call Maury Koomer in Louisville. One of the best, although he might now handle many of the "low profile" cases himself anymore.

What "small town cop" dept was it? Shively? Jtown is the WORST!!! The highest paid cops in the state no less.

Also there is almost no way to beat a cop when it's his word against yours. Even with a witness UNLESS you can play there game. The answer? VIDEO

Just like they video tape you. (Certainly he has all of this video right??????)
Buy a police Video system like I did in my old Dodge Stealth , and start recording everytime you drive!! You just need a camera to the rear as well.
Many times cops make comments that would get the case thrown out if it were only recorded. Play their own game and plus you'll have cameras in your car for track days!!!!
(Keep in mind the photo's below are 12 years old now)
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I can't tell you how many people have said: "That is illegal to have that in your car!" No. It is not illegal to privately own a radar and camera system. (Lights, sirens, and police radio yes, but that's another thread!) Besides, having a camera for the LCD monitor allowed you to get out trouble for have a Video Source viewable by the driver. This is not so much an issue anymore with so many in-dash video systems anymore. 12 years ago, this was state of the art!

Today's Police surveillance systems are pretty high tech, and can be set to record when the car is started or usually only when the lights are activated, as well a record the vehicles speed (and violater's speed if radar equipped). It can be fully automated, so you don't even have to think about it. Remember this might be used AGAINST you, depending on your driving habits.

We even used to have an option that would allow you record a picture in picture of the rear seat with audio. You would be AMAZED and what people say in the back seat. This is now a common tactic not much talked about to put two suspects in the SAME car in the back seat while the car is being searched. This goes against the usual tactic of separating the two so they CAN'T talk. The courts have ruled there is no expectation of privacy in the back of a patrol car, so what you say CAN be held against you.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Well, I got an attorney in Louisville and paid him a visit. He seems to have a good relationship with the pros. Attny. I think he will get all the charges dropped and I may have to attend traffic school...not sure...but he seemed pretty confident in what he was doing. It still enrages me that I have spent nearly $1800.00 so far in all of this...not to mention the loss time I had that I had for one day that I was suppose to do some work on my new house.

I will still have an arrest record on my driving record which really ****** me off...but at least it's not crimminal. Cops have way too much power to make everyone's life miserable.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and start recording everytime you drive!! You just need a camera to the rear as well.
Many times cops make comments that would get the case thrown out if it were only recorded. Play their own game and plus you'll have cameras in your car for track days!!!!

A buddy got off getting caught doing 125mph because the officer came up to him swearing and telling him he was the dumbest person he's met. Before stopping my friend called his attorney's office knowing he would get his answering machine (it was 2:00 a.m.). He kept his phone on and recorded everything. Lawyer used it in court and got my buddy off while getting the officer in some trouble from the Judge.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Glad you got a lawyer and are going to fight this thing, keep us posted. In Florida a new law goes into effect in October where they will take your car for good and put you in prison for up to a year for drag racing, so it is really serious down here. You want a great lawyer to wipe your record clean. I hope you're driving your car around again... if you put it away for a few weeks its like you let the cops win. I would find that sob and drive right by him and wave hello, he's obviously jelous that you have a nice car.

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score

A buddy got off getting caught doing 125mph because the officer came up to him swearing and telling him he was the dumbest person he's met. Before stopping my friend called his attorney's office knowing he would get his answering machine (it was 2:00 a.m.). He kept his phone on and recorded everything. Lawyer used it in court and got my buddy off while getting the officer in some trouble from the Judge.

Don't you have to let them know that they are being recorded before it is admissible in court?

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cobramadness...not sure but kind of like what was said above about putting two suspects in the back seat of the squad car. They don't tell you that you are being recorded and it seems like they can use it against you so I guess it might be OK.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess I'll have to stop baiting people at lights now. Lately, I've taken to revving the engine up at a light when somebody won't leave me alone (camaro, mustang, etc). When the light turns I watch the other driver take off and while I put away from the light. Sounds close to what got you in trouble and I sure don't want to be stuck in jail like you were.

I hope it works out for you, but it sure stinks. Your hard earned money down the tube and this **** laughing about it. The only way this is worth anything is if you could get the bum fired or suspended for the stunt.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Getting $$$ from suing the state should sooth your mind, but getting him fired or suspending after he laughed at you will put a permanent smile on your face!!! Wishing you the best of outcomes :)

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad you got a lawyer and are going to fight this thing, keep us posted. In Florida a new law goes into effect in October where they will take your car for good and put you in prison for up to a year for drag racing, so it is really serious down here. You want a great lawyer to wipe your record clean. I hope you're driving your car around again... if you put it away for a few weeks its like you let the cops win. I would find that sob and drive right by him and wave hello, he's obviously jelous that you have a nice car.
THey can make all the laws they want. But an unconstitutional law is still unconstitutional. Excessive bail, fines and "cruel and unusual" punishment are prohibited by the Eighth Amendment. Taking a car in excess of God knows how much money is highly against the 8th amendment.
I've had this happen before, not with racing. But the cops seized my car, one phone call and paid $500 bucks and got my car back. It's a f'ng scam..

G

VANTA'SVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dooshbag?Gerald.I just gave my opinion to ab,sorry I offended you.I am pretty sure there are more opinions out there.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

vanta, I can appreciate your thoughts, but the problem is I could lose my license on a BS charge like this, so turning my other cheek for that cop...I can't afford to do that. The only other cheek I could turn is the one the dirty cop could kiss.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

atta boy Adam..! Go get 'em!