I love Detroit!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was all on one ride for less than an hour and a half yesterday. Where else can you see 15-20 porsche tt's and a GT2 & GT3, Lambo VT roadster & Gallardo, a few Vipers, 1/2 dozen Cobra replicas, too many different types of hot rods and muscle cars, and classics to even get started! Best of all the unreleased manufactures car the New Ford GT, The '05 mustang(done car), and the NEW Corvette Testbed car for the new Z06(BIG tires and brakes!!) diff exhaust than the stocker, sounded great!! All praise Detroit the heart of all things automotive and the Mecca of the car nut!!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
We got all that in So Cal, including some manufacturer's test cars. Haven't seen the GT yet, but they did shoot "The One" at a Nor Cal track, Thunderhill. Sometimes there is also hot weather testing by various manufacturers in Death Valley.

There are so many magazine car reviews done at a local So Cal track called Willow Springs, its actually getting kinda old. One look at the surrounding brown mountains, and ubiquitous rocks, and its a dead giveaway as Willow Springs, even before reading the article.

It has been said that the largest collection of Porsches in the world (including Germany) is in So Cal, but I find that hard to beleive.

Anyway, it was pretty cool to see the new Z06, huh? (even if the front end does look like a C5 with Down's syndrome) Gonna have to s/c the ole' GTS, before facing the 500hp/500tq 427 c.i. Z06 at the green light!

gowings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Vic, How is the Lakers doing? Don't be mess'n and fuss'n with Detroit ya heard? DEEEEEETROIT BASSSKETBALL!!!!

Home of the N.B.A Champions!!!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, it was pretty cool to see the new Z06, huh? (even if the front end does look like a C5 with Down's syndrome) Gonna have to s/c the ole' GTS, before facing the 500hp/500tq 427 c.i. Z06 at the green light!

Vic,

Is the 427 c.i. comment speculation? Most rumors I've heard have suggested a 6.4L motor for the new C6 performance model.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey Vic, How is the Lakers doing? Don't be mess'n and fuss'n with Detroit ya heard? DEEEEEETROIT BASSSKETBALL!!!!

Home of the N.B.A Champions!!!

hah hah ha ha! :) Yeah, well, you all got the championship finally, good for youze guyz, you can win this one, enjoy! We in LA are SO USED to winning the crown, it was getting kinda old. Kobe and Shaq have already made their millions, they got their custom carbon fiber bodied Ferraris, their investments, endorsements, financial advisors, mansions, personal chefs, NBA rings-a-plenty, gee, its hard to concentrate on basketball and teamwork with all those distractions, you know? :rolleyes:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Is the 427 c.i. comment speculation? Most rumors I've heard have suggested a 6.4L motor for the new C6 performance model.

I dunno where I heard that. Maybe I'm just repeating somebody's bs.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
This was all on one ride for less than an hour and a half yesterday. Where else can you see 15-20 porsche tt's and a GT2 & GT3, Lambo VT roadster & Gallardo, a few Vipers, 1/2 dozen Cobra replicas, too many different types of hot rods and muscle cars, and classics to even get started! Best of all the unreleased manufactures car the New Ford GT, The '05 mustang(done car), and the NEW Corvette Testbed car for the new Z06(BIG tires and brakes!!) diff exhaust than the stocker, sounded great!! All praise Detroit the heart of all things automotive and the Mecca of the car nut!!!

You know who else has it nice? Dr Bob, in Lake Havasu, near the Ford proving ground. I guess he sees some cool sh*t out there. Anyway, I envy you for being able to see that beautiful GT up close on Detroit streets. Thats way cool!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually Vic I sat in a preprduction prototype of the GT a month ago, ran into a test driver at MickeyD's.

Arrrgh! Torture me, will you? :D

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Probably overheard a Corvette owner blurt this out during a wet dream. :D

Maybe it was a "Vette-dream"? :eek:

Sorry, had to do it! :)

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can’t forget the extra appreciation you get for living in Detroit when you’re working on your car and need a part.

I always chuckle a little when I hear… “We’ll have to order one from the factory, should be able to get it by this afternoon”.

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yea... not to mention the Viper hood I "garbage" picked from the plant right around the corner from me. Just needs a coat of paint.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mecca or not, there isn't one Viper tuner/hot rod shop in the state..

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not Totally true, Autoform is in MI. Yes, mostly cosmetic/body panels, but I think they will do tuning..... they sure sell a lot of roll bars to racers and do race service at Viper Days.....

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's a few. I'm surprised there's not more considering how easy it is to get parts. I guess that mostly applies to OEM parts though. Which means there's really hundreds of "shops"... every Dodge dealership.

As far as real tuners though... I wish there were more. I think HiPo Engineering is in Pontiac. Does anyone know of any others? I know there's a Mustang, Cammaro, Corvette tuner on every corner. But how about Viper tuners? I'd like to get my car tuned by someone who's at least SEEN a VEC 2 before.

I'm guessing the low numbers have something to do with the poor sporting weather a lot of the year.

OP
OP
S

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually several dealers(Dodge) will install high performance parts, and if you set you mind to it there are some good people to tune the cars also.

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be shy SylvanSRT. You can name names. And perhaps numbers. :)

Unless you're just talking about people, not shops.

OP
OP
S

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proracer on this board(Jeff Morton), Dick Scott(dodge dealer), also Joe Ricci just sent out flyer saying he has a guy that will do high performance parts(i have no experience w/ them though. Dick Scott Dodge can do good work. Also Arrow Racing in Auburn Hills (Factory engine rebuilder) can modify engines also. Jeff Mortons car is approx 800 hp roe s/c. Arrow can prob get you 525 rwhp in a gen II.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been so long since I've been on this forum I could hardly remember my password. SylvanSRT, where were you driving when you saw all those cars? I've pretty much seen everyone of those cars on the streets of Detroit at one time or another, except the Porsche GT3, but not all within 1 hours time.

Vic, I know you appreciate the Ford GT, so here's a picture of a Ford GT cap I bought at Ford World Headquarters today.

You must be registered for see images

I also was given 3 sweet Ford GT double sided posters by someone at work today who was on the launch team for the GT. Hung one up at my desk and am hanging the other 2 in my garage. I also have been up close and personal with the Ford GT lately. Sat in 2 different ones in the past few weeks and of course see one on the street almost everyday near work.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that was a drive down Woodward on the day of the original post. In my haste i forgot to mention the Maybach 57 w/ a New Jersey plate(manufacturer)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sean, you lucky devil....Those posters are gonna look great hung up on the wall...gotta get me some of those. Only downside about that hat, is that it has no propeller. Shucks.

I may not have to be a Viper traitor, if I can keep my GTS AND get the GT. And I might not even get the GT if the Gen3 coupe looks good to me, like 625 HP and lots of carbon fiber. That could make the difference for me.

Whats your impression of the GT? Were these cars you sat in hammered to death? Any other observations?

OP
OP
S

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no not a beat on car, much more done than a "mule" finished interior(no working airbags though) car was being driven for test miles this lucky lady had been driving this car all over and on some road trips already. exterior was complete also. looked great at sticker i would buy one. otherwise i might just buy a SRT/Gen III coupe, hopefully more horsepower and lighter. BTW and keep the SRT either way.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, you lucky devil....Those posters are gonna look great hung up on the wall...gotta get me some of those. Only downside about that hat, is that it has no propeller. Shucks.

I may not have to be a Viper traitor, if I can keep my GTS AND get the GT. And I might not even get the GT if the Gen3 coupe looks good to me, like 625 HP and lots of carbon fiber. That could make the difference for me.

Whats your impression of the GT? Were these cars you sat in hammered to death? Any other observations?

Vic, I see the GT posters on E-Bay and elsewhere on the net for $8 or so now. The Ford GT's I sat in were complete production vehicles. Full interior and painted exterior. Very nice and not hammered on at all. I tried to drive off in one, but no luck. I posted a picture of me sitting in one on the other site. You know, the VA.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4