I must be dreaming...

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper never ceases to amaze me. Back on Sept. 9-11, the local Gateway Viper Club participated in the "Monster Mopar Weekend" held at Gateway International Raceway just east of St. Louis (thanks Dave!). I had previously put my bone stock '00 RT/10 (original Pilots) on road courses, but had never run it down the quarter mile. I was a little nervous about what it might do. I decided...anything faster than 13 seconds and I'd be thrilled.

I made four passes in, to say the least, less than ideal conditions. The outside temperature neared 100°F, the track was blistering hot, and I was expecting to soon see slow-cooked chunks of meat fall from my bones inside the car. The corrected altitude was 3300 ft. The engine coolant temp was over 210°.

I was being very deliberate on the 2-3 shift. Do any of you miss that one now & then? I do, but not today. I really didn't want to see what happens if you drop it back into first gear at 5500 rpm's.

Anyway, my fourth and final pass was my best, 12.359 seconds @ 115.62 mph. That was with a very slow 1.984 60 ft. time (smelled a little fried clutch on that one). It made me wonder what it would have run at something closer to sea level conditions and on a track that wasn't as greasy as a Jack-in-the-Box taco.

I am 52 years old and grew up in the 60's "muscle car" era. The cars we revered back then like GTO's and Z-28's were lucky to even run something in the low 14's and high 13's in stock trim. The true legends like Hemi Cudas ran something like mid 13's, with the 440 6-Packs a tad quicker. Can you even imagine how the jaws would have dropped if you could have shown up in a Viper, then click off a low 12 or high 11? And with independent rear suspension, the car is certainly not your ideal quarter mile runner.

I can put the Viper on a road course and run down some true race cars, as I did in the Phil Wicks driving school (ran down a full-race tube chassis SCCA firebird with a SBC racing engine, see photos below). I can click on the AC and put it on the highway, drop it into 5th or 6th gear and get 20+ mpg. Then I can fill it up again with unleaded at the gas pump and pass the toughest federal emission standards. Or, I can cruise into the local fast food drive-in and stop their business with the jaw-dropping looks of the car.

How'd they do that? I must be dreaming...

Bob

You must be registered for see images

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree every time my viper is on a road course it amazes me more and more. Its predictable handling, great brakes, and increadible torque to just shoot you out of the corners make it very hard to keep up with.

Not bad at the drags either. I was very impressed that my GEN I viper pulled a 12.52@113. :2tu:

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you even imagine how the jaws would have dropped if you could have shown up in a Viper (in the 60's), then click off a low 12 or high 11?

They would have thought they were tripping on bad acid or something ;-)

Santo

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, a Fierro and a Firebird are TWO entirely different cars, one is a v6 at best (mostly 4 cyclinders though), the other is a big displacement v8...

Love my viper too, and it kicks asp, but not impressed you nailed a 1980's Fierro.. track prepped or not.. about as impressive as knocking out a stock Miata... lol..

Still amazing cars we have.

Jon

OP
OP
R

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oops...damn...that thing was a Fiero...but actually, it was Fiero panels on a full race front-engine tube chassis and did have one badass sounding SBC in it. I guess I was a little distracted taking pics with one hand (don't tell Phil or Bernie about this).