I need help removing my rear differential. Please help...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,

Please help. I need to remove my entire rear differential. I do have the service manual, but I was hoping to consult some real people that did the job before. What is the procedure you followed, how hard is it, and how long did it take?

Thanks a million

:usa:

viper 505

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realy easy change mine in less than 1 hour last weekend.
Lift the car and make sure it's secure. undo the 3 drive shaft attach to the diff.
undo the 2 bolts in front of diff.Than the 2 other bolts at each ends of the diff. cover.Don't forget to keep the jack under diff. before taking of the last 2 bolts.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have to move the exhaust in any way? If memory serves, the manual says you do... I was hoping I didn't have too.

Thanks again!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have to move the exhaust in any way? If memory serves, the manual says you do... I was hoping I didn't have too.

Thanks again!

Yes, it is in the way and to me is the worse part. And of course 12 u-joint bolts.

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always replace the 3 straps and 12 bolts for the half shafts and drive shaft!
I agree removing the exhaust is the worst part. Well maybe not the worst, having to do it twice due to a bad differential set up is right up there with dropping the darn outter diff. bolt and giving yourself a black eye! I think it was worth it.
PS make sure to install a drain plug while you have it out. (See How to section)

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So basically, you guys recommend draining the fluid and removing the cover once the differential is out of the car, right? No special tools required either, right?

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you just remove the center section from the cover leaving the rear mounting brace/bracket in the car?

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles on the diff? If under 10,000 miles why would you even think of doing a differential fluid change? Cars go 100,000 miles today and in the past without differential fluid changes with ease. I wouldn't change my differential fluid unless I had 40,000 - 50,000 miles or was 10 years old etc. Unless you race alot I wouldn't change it especially if its new and or has low miles.

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's removing it to ship to me, not to do a fluid change.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg D. + Others,

O.K. I think I'm making this harder than it has to be. After looking at some pictures (my car is stored elsewhere so I can't look), I think I can leave the differential cover attached to the frame (as Greg stated), and still remove the differential housing. Here's what I'm thinking:

1.) Put car on jack stands.
2.) Remove the differential drain plug, and pump as much fluid out as possible.
3.) Remove the 12 bolts/6 straps at the drive shaft & axel shafts. Hopefully, I can do this without removing the rear portion of the exhaust. I assume at this point the drive shaft and axel shafts will drop down.
4.) Remove the bolts from the differential cover. Do not remove the crossmember that is attached to the frame and is part of the cover.
5.) Put a jack under the differential housing before removing the final 2 differential housing bolts.
6.) Lower the differential housing. The remaining fluid will probably make a mess at this point.
7.) Package and ship to Greg......

What do you guys think? Is this process O.K.?

P.S. - I think I initially worded the question wrong. I just need to remove the differential housing.