I put new '08 Viper PS2's on GTS

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought some new PS2's for my GTS, from JonB of Parts Rack. They are the special issue PS2's, made specifically for the '08 Viper. If some of you recall, SRT engineers indicated that these PS2's are quite a bit better than the regular production ones. All I can say is that it transformed my GTS into a surgical, handling monstrosity. I have never driven a more precise steering, better handling car and I own an '06 SRT coupe. I have driven my friend's C6Z06, also and it does not even come close to my GTS with these tires on it. Based on what I have experienced, I expect the '08 Viper to rip the Z06 a new @#%$^, in road racing. I would suggest that anybody who needs new tires, contact JonB and get these outrageous PS2's. The only possible issue is sizing. I had some SRT wheels and they are on the GTS now. The '08 PS2's probably only come in SRT sizes (18" front, 19" rear). If you have a few extra bucks laying around, it would be worth the investment to put on SRT size wheels and these tires.

Last edited:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you saying they are different than PS/2's you would buy anywhere?

OP
OP
A

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They ran me about $1500 for the set and yes, they are different than the regular production PS2's. If you go to the section on this forum, where the SRT engineers answered questions, you will read where the engineer stated that the '08 Viper PS2's are significantly better than the regular production PS2's.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean Michelin makes 2 unique sets of PS/2 in the same Viper sizes or that all PS/2's in Viper size (assuming 275x18 front and 345x19 rear) are the same?

OP
OP
A

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand, the older version PS2, is made for many cars in many sizes, including the Viper sizes. However, the '08 Viper spec tire is not the same tire, although named a PS2. Go read what the SRT engineer stated. You don't have to take my word for it. However, you can take my word for it that, with the addition of these tires, my GTS handles and steers on a whole new level; simply amazing. The SRT engineer stated several times that these new Viper tires are awesome and I concur 100%.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what they might have meant is that the Viper sizes have a unique compound compared to the other PS2 sizes that are out. The Pilot Sports that are std on the SRT have a rubber compound that is unique to the Viper SRT tire size

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been going on for years. Michelin has for years made specific tires for the Viper. They were noted with seperate side wall markings.

PartsRack has always steered Viper Owners to these tires. Sometimes he would lose a sale to someone else quoting a cheaper price, but not delivering the Viper specific tire.

It pays to use a knowledgeble source.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id have to see it to believe it cause im not buying that michelin is making a different set of tires for a car that is only what 2000 or so units per year ???

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know when you look at Tirerack they indicate the OE tires. Last time I looked the PS/2's were not listed yet.

Just looked. They list the new rear tires as Viper specific:
345/30ZR19
Blackwall C1 (Dodge Viper)
Serv. Desc: (105Y) Price: $459.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock

The fronts are not listed as Viper specific.:
275/35ZR18
Blackwall Mercedes
Serv. Desc: 95Y Price: $330.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new 18" rears are rated 102Y and I can find no C1 rating? I just got them yesterday.
However, I also do not find on the Tire Rack site the tires you found Ron?

Steve

OP
OP
A

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why bother trying to figure out which tires Tire Rack has, when you can simply contact JonB at Parts Rack? Ask him about the tires. He is the one who scapped them up from Michelin, when the production of the '08 Viper was delayed. These tires were said to be worth more than 4 seconds a lap over previous tires on an SRT Viper coupe, at Sebring.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sure hope my new PS2s are the latest -- greatest.
Fronts made (1307) Rears (0407) Steve

They Are ! Put em on, drive em, and REPORT !!

The PS2 19" REAR (C-1) that will be out for the SRT10 is a new tire that Michelin build for D-C for the 08 SRT10. Michelin already had built just a few months earlier the 18" front size for Daimler for the Benz. As SYLVAN and HAWKER said, this C-1 began w/ G-2 Vipers.

Fact is, whether you get 'em from PartsRack or TireRack, you will now get the exact same tire. [You'll just pay LESS at PartsRack, thanks.] PartsRack did snag a few early sets, as announced and sold out here months ago ("PS-2s ROCK" thread) with VERY HAPPY customers.

The 17" PS2 and the 18" PS2 for Viper do not have a C-1 designation, but the tread patttern, assymetry, and compound is the same...the PERFORMANCE is great. 100% happy driver feedback, including my own GTS.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up Jon. ....Just back from installing the new skins. They will see over 4,000 miles in the next month and maybe Road America in early October.

Steve

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
..I just bought some new PS2's for my GTS, from JonB of Parts Rack........All I can say is that it transformed my GTS into a surgical, handling monstrosity. I have never driven a more precise steering, better handling car and I own an '06 SRT coupe. I have driven my friend's C6Z06, also and it does not even come close to my GTS with these tires on it. Based on what I have experienced, I expect the '08 Viper to rip the Z06 a new @#%$^, in road racing. I would suggest that anybody who needs new tires, contact JonB and get these outrageous PS2's..............

ALEX, Thank you for the testimonial on PS-2 performance vs PS. This is EXACTLY the feeling I had when I first slapped em on my GTS back is Sept 2006. WOW! Truthfully, they dont handle better than Sport Cups or Kumhos would, but the TRANSFORMATION is felt when you remove old Pilots....or old RunFlats and add PS-2. The transformation is even more pronounced when RunFlats go away....

I took off Pilot Sports on a GTS that had 60% tread rear, 80% front....but were 2 years old. I slapped on PS-2s and it TRANSFORMED the car. (as would have Sport Cups or Kumhos)I instantly gained 2 seconds in a 50-second autocross the same day. (Kumhos or Cups would have gained even more.)

OP
OP
A

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, are there any better tires that will fit an '06 Viper? If so, I will keep it in mind when I go to change the run flats on that car. Do the Kumhos come in that size? Are you saying that they are even better than the PS2's? If so, why did you sell me these junks? :rolaugh:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure hope my new PS2s are the latest -- greatest.
Fronts made (1307) Rears (0407)

Steve

They Are ! Put em on, drive em, and REPORT !!

Having just completed a 1500 mile ride to Twinsburg, Ohio with my my brother for the annual Twinsdays event, I can do a little reporting on these new tires. They are GREAT!

The first thing I noticed was how well they tracked on dry road...no matter the surface. Almost like a regular car..........almost ;) Much better than the MPS tires I've been running for over 68,000 miles. The real test came coming home when we hit the heavy rain leaving Detroit yesterday that NY is getting now. The car handled beautifully. We've been in this kind of rain before, but there is absolutely no comparison as to how these PS2s handled and the old ones. I am extremely happy with these tires.

Next week, we're off again to tack on another 2300 miles. To the Dream Cruise and beyond.

Steve

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Having just completed a 1500 mile ride to Twinsburg, Ohio.... I can do a little reporting on these new tires. They are GREAT!

The first thing I noticed was how well they tracked on dry road...no matter the surface. Almost like a regular car..........almost ;) Much better than the MPS tires I've been running for over 68,000 miles. The real test came coming home when we hit the heavy rain leaving Detroit yesterday that NY is getting now. The car handled beautifully. We've been in this kind of rain before, but there is absolutely no comparison as to how these PS2s handled and the old ones. I am extremely happy with these tires..Steve

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK (and your business) Steve. This is EXACTLY what our customers are repeatedly reporting dry, but your wet-handling is a bonus. Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21