I screwed up and need some help.

daxman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2000 RT/10 and just replaced the plugs and wires. I was told to remove the pos cable from the battery and scrach it against the post for about 1 min. to reset the computer. I did that and although the car starts fine I can't get the key FOB to work and the doors will not unlock. I had to remove the back window and use the emergency latch to get back in. Can someone please tell me what I need to do. HELP!

OP
OP
D

daxman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I held them both down for about 20 seconds with no results. Is there something else I should be doing?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling chuck Tator is always the best bet, but try detaching and then re-attaching the batt. cable, then re-sync the fob.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mike, isnt there something about holding both the positive and negative cable ends together for a few seconds or something to reset the computer ?

i seem to remember tator saying that at one point.

but ask chuck first, before doing that

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mike, isnt there something about holding both the positive and negative cable ends together for a few seconds or something to reset the computer ?

i seem to remember tator saying that at one point.

but ask chuck first, before doing that

To clear the computer you take the POS side of the batt cable(in the back) and touch it to metal/ground to reset the computer. Still, it should still aloow the alarm to set.

OP
OP
D

daxman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I removed the pos. side of the battery again and before starting the car I pushed both tabs of the FOB and held them. Everything seems to be working as it should now. Thanks for all your help.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 RT/10 and just replaced the plugs and wires. I was told to remove the pos cable from the battery and scrach it against the post for about 1 min. to reset the computer. I did that and although the car starts fine I can't get the key FOB to work and the doors will not unlock. I had to remove the back window and use the emergency latch to get back in. Can someone please tell me what I need to do. HELP!

That's an interesting statement:- "remove the pos cable from the battery and 'scrach it against the post' for about 1 min!"

Is this some sort of initiation ceremony for new plug leads. lol

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
To reset everything, I thought you were supossed to take a 15/16" wrench and place it across the battery plus and minus terminals.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To reset everything, I thought you were supossed to take a 15/16" wrench and place it across the battery plus and minus terminals.

When you can see again, let me know how that worked for you! Take a picture of the wrench too, I would love see how deep the wrench is cratered. :)

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you can see again, let me know how that worked for you! Take a picture of the wrench too, I would love see how deep the wrench is cratered. :)

Oh, that's mean but so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some tricks to these cars that REALLY shouldn't be public information... might want to delete a few of these posts about touching battery terminals and what that can do.

Knowing that you can pop the hood and get to the distribution box, and yeah.

Kinda scary that you can "break" into a Gen II with nothing more than a crescent wrench, without breaking anything at all, in about 20 seconds if you know what you're doing.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I can never find the wrench after, nor my eyebrows. But I gets a great hairstyle out of it!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can never find the wrench after, nor my eyebrows. But I gets a great hairstyle out of it!

Your response cracked me up...I am still laughing! :lmao:
It reminding me of the scene in Home Alone where the dude grabs the sink that was hooked up to the welder....instant fro!

Nothing like 500 plus amps of juice flowing to rearrange things real quick...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery