I smell gas

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like the gas odor is coming from around the filler area. The dealer couldn't find anything, but I'm not the only one who smells it. It smells worse after a long drive. Could it just be from the exhaust? Any suggestions? Car is a 97 GTS.

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 94 RT that did this....was a bad seal where the filler tube went into the tank....allowed a little gas to slosh/seep out on the tank....smell was very strong.....get it fixed, QUICK !!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy I had the same problem and I just put on a new cap and it has never happened again. Hope that works sice it is the cheap fix.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If it's a raw gas smell by the cap there are a couple of things:

easy: try a new fuel filler cap.
The fuel filler cap acts as a pressure/vacuum valve.

more difficult: check the fuel fill vapor tube that runs from the filler neck to the top of the gas tank

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 94 both the cap was defective as well as the seal from the filler tube into the tank itself. Needless to say it smelled real strong when you had more than a quarter tank in the car...it would come right out with hard acceleration and turns...

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem a while back for me....the rubber seal around the filler tube was messed up where the tube enters the tank. I would smell it once I filled up with gas, but then as the gas level went down i wouldnt smell it anymore. I bought the gasket from dodge (cheap) took the tube out and replaced it, it's not too big of a deal but I would fix it as soon as possible. And on a side note, don't do what I did, fill up with gas then realize the problem and try to fix it with a full gas tank, but I'm an idiot sometimes. Hope this helps. By the way I have a 95 RT. If you need any help let me know.

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the "gas" smell also. Found out that the "flap out" thing (probably a technical name that I don't know) that protects the fender from gas pump rash, was getting "pinched" when I screwed on the gas cap. Happened a couple of times until I figured out what was going on. Now I am cautious when I put the cap back on and....no problems. However, as stated in other posts, it is imperative that you find the source of the problem......or see other threads regarding "fire extinguishers". Good Luck.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got the report from the dealer. The writeup reads, "Tech found regulator bleeding down. Ordered Fuel pump." It will be replaced under warrantee.

Guess I can go back to frequenting Taco Heck. (I know this is a family place, so I can't say Taco H3ll)

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had the problem last year after a tech was in my tank and did not properly replace the cover that covers it. It should be sealed with 'goop' (more tech terms in this thread) and then riveted back together. It is located (on a GTS anyway) between the driver/passenger and right under the carpet behind the upper storage tray.