I test drove one of my dream cars today! A Ferrari Testarossa!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I love it and want it! The Testarossa was like driving a NSX but with more power. I love the way that thing sounds and winds up!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like FUN. The Testarossa is truly an exotic car, and I'd much rather have one of them than a Lamborghini Countach at roughly the same price. The 512TR is especially alluring. :)

-Dean.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i really like the 512 TR the regular tetarossa with the cheese grater sides doesnt do it for me. I also seem to smash my head into the roof getting in everytime and i am only 5'10" they are beautiful but expensive to service, especially the big engine out service.

JoeD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey ab -

Please try and explain what the ride's like as compared to your GTS. Did you get on it?
I've always wanted to drive one - the sound alone is alluring.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i really like the 512 TR the regular tetarossa with the cheese grater sides doesnt do it for me. I also seem to smash my head into the roof getting in everytime and i am only 5'10" they are beautiful but expensive to service, especially the big engine out service.

All Testarossas, 512TRs and 512Ms had the "cheese grater" sides. Are you thinking of the 355?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok looked up some pics the later cars were the one w/ the shorter rear overhang and did have the side strakes. i think the styling on these cars as well as ergonomics does not hold up to time as well as some other cars(some much older) and the performance does not hold up to the genII cars much less the SRT.

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMHO Testarossa's look like ass. Bad memories of Miami Vice maybe. :D Styling's not timeless at all, unless you like door stops. 60's AC Cobra blows it away for crimeny's sake!!
*Flame suit's on*

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I will have be the first to flame you then...

The Testarossa was and still is one of the most alluring, beautiful, timeless looks ever made. I hope to own some day, and I don't care if it is 20 years from now.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed! The Testarossa is one of the best looking Ferraris ever built. Much better looking than any of the Ferraris to follow...

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed! The Testarossa is one of the best looking Ferraris ever built. Much better looking than any of the Ferraris to follow...

Blasphemy!!! :)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i personally like the f-50 my cuz had one and my 99 rt/10 smoked it and considering the price diff thats pretty sad

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that the Testarossa is timeless and it is damn good looking. Only the 360 since has surpassed it IMHO.

STUGOTS - I hope you have forced induction because if not... F50s are not slow.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stock Viper would not beat an F50. 0-100mph in 8 seconds is hardly slow, especially for a 9 year old car.

TR is a cool car. I had an early model, along with a Countach, and the Countach was superior in every way. If you get a TR, i suggest a 512TR, much better car.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My impression of the Testarossa was it was an awesome car, but expensive to maintain.

The pedals are way to the right instead of way to the left like the Viper. The Viper is an easier car to drive and more forgiving. The Testarossa likes to be wound up and reved. I'm sure if I bought the Testarossa, I would eventually get used to it, but I can't afford the maintenance on it which would deter me from buying it and also the cost of parts would be scarce on it. When I make it big, I will buy one. Prices have fallen on it, but I'm sure labor and parts make up for the fallen price.

I love the Testarossa since I grew up in the 80's and it was the flagship back then.

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove an 85 Testarossa and could have traded my Viper straight across for it. I didn't. Beautiful car, but maintenance is unbelievable. It just had it's 30k maintenance for $5k! They pull the motor and replace timing belt, clutch, etc, etc. Great sound, expecially with Tubi exhaust, something like a superbike. No instant torque though, you need to wait until 5k rpm for the engine to wake up.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early TR's had about 375 hp..... Anybody wanna guess if a modern Nissan has more torque? Beautiful cars, would love to own one, just to look nice in the garage. They have some similar handling 'characteristics' to the Viper. Lift throttle oversteer can be fun!?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The later ones are in the 450 zone. The early cars (the ones you actually see on the street) are less. We're talking 1980's here. The 84 308GTSi I owned was rated at 230 or so....what a joke that is in todays numbers. Vettes were in the 190 to 205 hp region. I hope we never go back to those sad days.
General Information
Price: $87,000
Miles Per Gallon: 10/15 mpg
Curb Weight: 3660 lbs
Layout: Mid-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: Flat-12
Displacement: 4942 cc
Horsepower: 390 bhp @ 6300 rpm
Torque: 354 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Redline: 6800 rpm