I think DC will step up to the plate!!

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hirohawa, if that is the best you can come up with then it proves my point.
The Viper is an incredible top of the heap convertible.

For comparison you give me the Carrera GT.
1. Not really a convertible. The stowable tuperware lid does not make the car a rag top.
2. It does have 605hp, but only 435 ft lbs of torque.
3. It is lighter than the SRT-10, but still nearly 3100 lbs.
4. It stops nearly as well as the Viper.
5. Acceleration and top speed are better than the Viper, but not much.

6. MSRP $440,000.

My point exactly. Topping everyone's performance with the
first Viper took a lot of courage and committment, but was relatively
easy from an engineering standpoint.

Topping the performance of today's cars is not nearly as
easy. I don't want the Viper to be a $400k car or even a $150k car.

We've got the best and best performing convertible in the world.

Dirk

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Convertibles are not the ultimate for performance - especially if you like to track your car - which I do. It's like paraising the 911 turbo for being the best six cylinder supercar or the best sports car with back seats. So what? It is not the first choice for automakers that want to make a serious sports car so it is by default going to be the best covertible or close to it.

2. The same sentiment you have about the convertible will not be true of the Coupe. It will not be the fastest or best performing coupe, not even against other American cars.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ultimate for performance is not necessarily the best for open air driving either. Which I, and others, happen to like. So what? I wanted a convertible and I have one that is one hell of a performer. I could care less about all of the whining about how the new Vette is going to be powered by a trident sub turbine or whatever. It doesn't make me smile any less when I put the top down and listen to that big V10.

I agree the coupe's performance numbers look to be dissappointing if it's purpose is merely performance. The numbers are amazing, but so many cars have amazing numbers today that it doesn't really stand out. Like I've said before, in the early 90s Dodge took a gamble and built a car that outperformed everything out there. Of course, the field consisted of a bunch of pretty unimpressive, anemic stuff. Today the field is filled with performance cars that are incredible. It is hard for ANYONE to build a car that truly outdistances everything else. There are lots of $200k, $300k and $400k cars that can't claim to be the ultimate king. Can we really expect Dodge to make an $80k car that can legitimately claim the crown?

Also, the numbers are just guesswork right now. We'll have to see what it looks like when the car actually exists. And, the numbers are for the base model, not the high performance. Like the base Vette compared to the Z06. I expect there to be an ACR Viper.

Who knows?

Will you really enjoy your 93 RT/10 any less because the new coupe is not the end-all be-all sports car? Do you enjoy it less because kids in Subarus are driving more potent sports cars than your 93? Same thing with your Z06? They are both great cars. They are great performers, even if they are outperformed by lots of cars nowadays. Enjoy them.

Dirk

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ-"SRT-10 took mass appeal styling cues to try to appeal to maore people (in the same way that Corvette does.) The result was that FEWER people wanted them."

Actually the srt-10 has sold more cars than just about any other year or model of Viper. Dodge made a lot more of them and produced them much more quickly. The surplus cars haven't all sold, but it really is incorrect to say that 'fewer' people want them. It may be tough to accept, but if you look at the sales numbers then the Gen III is desired by MORE people than GenI or II.

The appeal of the SRT-10 must be pretty great. Again, we have a number of GenI/II and non-Viper owners drawn to this board to share their knowledge on the subject. Over and over and over and over...

I love the new Vette. I've had many Vettes. The new Z06 looks to be pretty nice. We'll have to wait for actual numbers and pricing. GM has been known to be very....optimistic.

Many cars have several different versions. ie. Coupe, vert, high perf. models. The new Vette is the top of the heap Vette. The new Gen Viper hasn't produced its top of the heap car. The convertible is amazing. The coupe also looks to be pretty incredible. I'm sure the high performance model that follows the coupe will be a sufficient testosterone replacement for those in need.

In the meantime, I hope that the need to measure yourselves with a Vette yardstick doesn't keep you awake at night.

Dirk

Dick989

Do you honestly think the SRT-10 could sustain this for 10 years? The proof is already there that this car wouldn't even hit 5 years at the rate things are going. Stop being dilusional

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig you don't even own a car and you want to call me a dick. Do I think that SRT-10 sales would be sustained at the current rate for 10 years?? No. Hell no.

What model Viper sustained its original sales rate for 10 years? What model of Viper remained in production for 10 years?

What is it I'm being delusional about?

You've made nearly 5000 posts and have contributed ZERO to improve the Viper community.

You don't like the SRT-10. You don't like the new coupe. You want Dodge to produce a 700hp coupe that outperforms all of the $200k, $300k and $400k cars and you want it to sell for $70k. It's not going to happen. And if it did, you'll never own one.

You want to call me delusional? Take a look at your life.
Nearly 5,000 posts on a message board! A lot of them being nothing but cute little smiley faces or insults to people who have worked hard to own the car they wanted.

You really need some therapy. I've read posts of about 200 different owners on here who seem to want to volunteer to give you that therapy.

Enjoy your pathetic little life.

Dirk

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig you don't even own a car and you want to call me a dick. Do I think that SRT-10 sales would be sustained at the current rate for 10 years?? No. Hell no.

What model Viper sustained its original sales rate for 10 years? What model of Viper remained in production for 10 years?

What is it I'm being delusional about?

You've made nearly 5000 posts and have contributed ZERO to improve the Viper community.

You don't like the SRT-10. You don't like the new coupe. You want Dodge to produce a 700hp coupe that outperforms all of the $200k, $300k and $400k cars and you want it to sell for $70k. It's not going to happen. And if it did, you'll never own one.

You want to call me delusional? Take a look at your life.
Nearly 5,000 posts on a message board! A lot of them being nothing but cute little smiley faces or insults to people who have worked hard to own the car they wanted.

You really need some therapy. I've read posts of about 200 different owners on here who seem to want to volunteer to give you that therapy.

Enjoy your pathetic little life.

Dirk

LOL you have no idea what I want out of the car, it's obvious you don't read what I write. Goes to show how much of an ignorant ***** you really are.

My request is simple

small h.p. bump, weight redux, comp coupe styling and race the damn thing in ALMS like in the "good old days"

You have absolutely no clue about who I am and what my experiences are. I can put my ass in the seat of a viper whenever the hell I want, hell I even have a choice of color. No I do not "own" the car but I am still in college and I don't know anyone who goes to college that could throw down 80K for a car at this stage in life without having mommy or daddy buy it for them.

The original Viper was healthy for 10 years, yes orders trailed off near the end but what car out there can sustain 10 years? For the vast majority of those years Dodge sold every single Viper produced, you cannot say that about the SRT-10 so quit trying to argue it.

So now my high and mighty, where is your Viper and what "experience" do you have to look down your nose at me? I've forgotten more about this car than you'll ever know, plain and simple.

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I've forgotten more about this car than you'll ever know, plain and simple.

[/QUOTE]

That's like claiming you know all there is to know about boxing and you don't own a pair of boxing gloves. ;)

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig:

Reading your little troll posts and personal insults make it real clear that while you may have forgotten a lot, there probably are very, very, few subjects that you know more about than ANYONE. You may think you are so knowledgeable about my car, but I seriously doubt it.

Kid, you are still in college. Years from now you will realize that you were a little smart _ss. You will be embarrassed.

If you ever reproduce, there is a scary thought, then you will want to hide any record of your 8 million posts from your children.

I've owned 3 Vipers, more Vettes than I can count, 2 Fcars, a Lotus and countless American muscle. I've raced motorcycles, been a professional athlete and hell I've even ridden bulls. None of this makes me superior to anyone, even you, but then again you are the imbecile claiming to know so d___ed much.

I could care less if you can put your butt in the seat of a Viper. You've already admitted that you've never driven the SRT-10. Once you have some responsibilities in life you will learn that you may be a little sensitive about something you've worked long and hard for. You won't take kindly to the kind of crap that you spew.

Again, nearly 5000 posts from some college kid who has a different argument every day and absolutely no grasp of logic. I can't imagine a college course that would leave you so ill prepared to function in real life.

Your personal insults to so many Viper owners will not get you far. One day one of our Vipers may come through your car wash and you'll be putting your butt in the seat. I personally am anxious for the day I meet you.

Dirk

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk,
There is no doubt that the Viper performance numbers are earth shattering. Perhaps I should have clarified my comments. When I speak of "broadening its appeal," I am mostly referring to it's look. The design of the Gen III is not as radical as Gen I and II. I think that most of the core Viper constituency likes the more radical look. The final arbiter of this can be the statistics in the drop in residual values of Gen III cars versus the I's and II's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude