I thought you guys were nuts!

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple months ago I discovered this site while shopping for my car. Very informative and helped me a great deal when shopping. Thanks. However, while I was reading all the threads, I came across one where someone described and even posted pictures of their winter project...cleaning the wheel wells and suspension components. I thought to myself, OK, I'm pretty obsessive/compulsive about things, but thats a little nuts. As the thread grew, people chimed in with stories, advice, and products they've used to accomplish the same task. Clearly, I decided, everyone here is nuts.

Forward to today. My car is white with white wheels. Its bothered me since day one that as clean as I get the outsides of the wheels, the insides of those giant barrels are still black, so I decide to take them off and wash and wax them, inside and out. Well I start the project first thing this morning and as soon as I get the front wheels off, I see the black grime all over everything under there. My wife bought me some engine detailer that I really didn't need, so I start spraying it all over the fenderwell and suspension. After the first rinse, I discover that the A-arms are a nice silver aluminum and the shocks are orange. Hmmm, a second coat and some scrubbing and now things are starting to look pretty good. Hey look, there's some zerk fittings here too! Get out the grease gun and go to town. So the front is all shiny and pretty when I put the wheels back on but you can't see any of my hard work. Did that stop me from doing the same thing in the back? Of course not. A trip to the auto parts store for some more engine detailer and did the same to the back. You can't see that either. Does that make me feel any worse? Heck no, I know how good it looks down there and that's all that matters.

After a good wash on the outside and another coat of Zaino, the car looks great. Total time of the project? 8 hours, and worth every minute.

Now I'm going to take a shower and head over to the emergency room, I cut my finger pretty bad and once I washed all the grease off, I realized I need stitches...OUCH! It was still worth it though.

So anyway, what I realized here is that you guys are still crazy, but now I feel like one of the crowd.

Gotta go,

Jeff

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, your in need of emergency medical attention to get stitches, but you took the time to write this post first?? That's pretty ******** viper obsession if you ask me!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wait until you sit in the car for hours with the engine off, just practicing your shifting techniques. Check yourself in if you start making engine noises during the shifting. :D

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE! Good stuff Fred, now you have to post pics of how pretty the car looks!

Reaction score
Just wait until you sit in the car for hours with the engine off, just practicing your shifting techniques. Check yourself in if you start making engine noises during the shifting.

So is it ok if I sit in my Viper in the garage drinking *** drinks, playing police sirens and acting like I'm leading them on high speed chases?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought everybody that doesn't do this else is crazy. I do that for all my cars.

--------------------------------------------------------
Wanted - Graphite or Sapphire w/stripes GTS
[email protected]

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(in my best darth vader voice)

WELCOME TO THE DARK, DARK SIDE FRED

excuse me now, i am off to polish my side sill screws.

I like to use Mothers billet pollish on a well used toothbrush for that. With the sill screws removed, brush it in good, wipe off quick, finish with a light coat of WD-40 to avoid tar sticking to them.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to use Mothers billet pollish on a well used toothbrush for that. With the sill screws removed, brush it in good, wipe off quick, finish with a light coat of WD-40 to avoid tar sticking to them.

very nice! i do the same thing, except after i wipe the screw off, i will put a little wax on the end of a q-tip and rub it all over the screw. a quick buff with a cottonball, and it is all done. invest in a good set of tweezers too, they are good for getting dirt out of the little corners. :D

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice! i do the same thing, except after i wipe the screw off, i will put a little wax on the end of a q-tip and rub it all over the screw. a quick buff with a cottonball, and it is all done. invest in a good set of tweezers too, they are good for getting dirt out of the little corners. :D

Psycho! You need help.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing you have a 1996 RT/10 with the white/ blue stripes. Nice looking color combo. I get this insane laugh whenever I feel the acceleration and every now and then when look in the garage. No I am not ashamed but proud of my mental state.

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing you have a 1996 RT/10 with the white/ blue stripes. Nice looking color combo. I get this insane laugh whenever I feel the acceleration and every now and then when look in the garage. No I am not ashamed but proud of my mental state.

Good guess! As much as I've dreamed about owning this car for the last couple years, I never thought it would be as addictive as its become. I find myself going out to the garage at night before bed and trying to decide what the next project will be. Those unwaxed side sill screws are starting to bug me now so that might be it.