IF GM buys Chrysler and axes the Viper...

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would you continue to drive your Viper or would you stop/slow down the frequency drastically to keep the miles lower for a sale in the future?

When I was at work yesterday, I was thinking about not driving it as much to keep the miles down. Then, last night, I end up driving all over town with some friends, and plan on driving it a lot more today so I guess I'll keep on driving mine :p

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that bought a 1970 used Plymouth Superbird in 1970 with about 7000 miles on it. This guy is now in his 60s, bent over crippled and living in a motel/apartment. I spoke to him about 2 years ago and asked about buying it. He said he will never sell it and that his son has been trying to get it and he is not going to get it that easy. The car has over 500,000 miles on it and it is his daily driver. He has pulled the original 440 out of it and has put a police interceptor 440 in it to keep the numbers matching engine intact. He knows what it is worth and he looks like he could use the money, but I admire the guy for driving the car. There is a story here that says enjoy your :headbang: car and if you keep it long enough, the miles are not going to matter as far as an investment is concerned. This guy could give a flip what the car is worth.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to drive mine. While it still is a nice piece of eye candy in the garage, nothing get the blood flowing like a nice spirited drive.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that bought a 1970 used Plymouth Superbird in 1970 with about 7000 miles on it. This guy is now in his 60s, bent over crippled and living in a motel/apartment. I spoke to him about 2 years ago and asked about buying it. He said he will never sell it and that his son has been trying to get it and he is not going to get it that easy. The car has over 500,000 miles on it and it is his daily driver. He has pulled the original 440 out of it and has put a police interceptor 440 in it to keep the numbers matching engine intact. He knows what it is worth and he looks like he could use the money, but I admire the guy for driving the car. There is a story here that says enjoy your :headbang: car and if you keep it long enough, the miles are not going to matter as far as an investment is concerned. This guy could give a flip what the car is worth.

If in 30 years, I put on 500k miles on my Viper, I would be one happy man. :)

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
would you continue to drive your Viper or would you stop/slow down the frequency drastically to keep the miles lower for a sale in the future?

I intend to average 2,000 miles per year on it regardless of who the parent company is.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i was worried about the viper value, i would NOT have put a nitrous kit on it for 2 years and now a DLM paxton on it...

i have too much fun driving it NOT to.

its just a car !!!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing I hate more than a garage queen. Drive it the way it was built for and meant to be.

Exactly. You never know what could happen tomorrow. Might as well have fun with the vehicle as much as you can.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing I hate more than a garage queen. Drive it the way it was built for and meant to be.
SOOOO, funny everyone hates a garage Queen until it's time to Buy one!!!! Then it's Look at the low mileage. Has to be both Worlds!! :headbang:
Funny, I have my 55000 mile A+ RT in classifieds but would sell if 5000 miles. Good thing there are garage Queens so we have something to buy.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SOOOO, funny everyone hates a garage Queen until it's time to Buy one!!!! Then it's Look at the low mileage.

Exactly. The term "freaking hypocrites" comes to mind here. I get more enjoyment out of looking at my beauty sitting in the garage and racking up 2,000 miles per year on it than I would abusing it for 20,000 miles every year.

Heck, I put more miles per year on my bicycle than the Viper but that's in another thread somewhere around here.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody realize that A Viper is not a Chrysler ????

How do you figure? The Viper is a product of Chrysler Corp. but not part of the Chrysler brand. It depends on what your definition of a Chrysler is.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody realize that A Viper is not a Chrysler ????

How do you figure? The Viper is a product of Chrysler Corp. but not part of the Chrysler brand. It depends on what your definition of a Chrysler is.

Last I heard, It was the Chrysler brand that would go, not Dodge or Jeep. After a few minutes of research just now, it looks like the whole bunch. My bad Let's just say I'm in denial :laugh: (And I will continue to keep my head in the sand...someone kick me in the a$$ if anything important happens :eek: )

I like this recent news quote:
While a deal of this magnitude will be difficult to pull off, and a sale may not happen,

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My $0.02, Chrysler wont be sold any time soon. GM doesnt need more headaches in the state they're already in. Daimler will see the market for Chrysler really isn't there right now and will hold on to it

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOOOO, funny everyone hates a garage Queen until it's time to Buy one!!!! Then it's Look at the low mileage. Has to be both Worlds!! :headbang:
Funny, I have my 55000 mile A+ RT in classifieds but would sell if 5000 miles. Good thing there are garage Queens so we have something to buy.

Well let me tell you folks about my first Ferrari, a 1987 328 GTS with 9,000 miles on it, that I bought in 2003. This was a garage queen that had more problems from sitting around than any car I have ever owned and I have owned over 70 cars in my 54 years on earth. It was junk and i sold it to the dealer where I bought my 2003 viper. You could not keep it running but hell it was sure cool to look at in my garage.
In 2005 I bought a Jeep Wrangler Sahara that had 69,000 miles on it and was driven every day. I drive it myself every day, have put over 20,000 more miles on it, and have only changed the oil and tires. It has never broken down. The owner drove it, took care of it, and it looked brand new.

I will take a car that has been driven and maintained any day over a garage queen. Just my humble opinion. Each to their own.

yellowviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not imagine GM purchasing Chrysler. GM does not have the balance sheet nor credit available to it to make such a purchase. Additionally, GM has more that sufficient financial woes that they do not need to add Chrysler's problems to theirs. Anyway, I just purchased a 1997 GTS and just want to drive it. I am retired and have all the time in the world to enjoy this great (us made) auto. I am sorry that I did not purchase one years ago- but it is NEVER too late.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as a car looks good and runs properly, I could care less about the mileage but naturally, more often than none, is that the more miles, the worse the condition. It is just a general rule of thumb but if you look hard enough you can find some nice condition high mileage cars. I have seen some nice condition 20K+ mile cars but you just have to look and many people are not willing to do this and as a result just get turned off.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I intend to average 2,000 miles per year on it regardless of who the parent company is.

I've put 5K on mine in 7 months and know signs of slowing down. I put 21k on my GTS in 2.5 years.