If you are married or have a significant other

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the title says,

If you are married, or you have a significant other that judges your spending, how do you justify fixing up your Viper without her:

1. Throwing a fit
2. Telling you that she is gonna spend just as much as you do on;
a. Clothes
b. Jewlery
c. Hair extensions
d. A rare breed puppy

Do you just pretend or truely love Vipers so much that she doesn't care, or do you just buy parts and hide them until they are installed.

Super rich people don't respond.

Mike

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The buying of a Viper and then Viper # 2 was the beginning of the end for me, after 27 years of marriage, I am soon to be divorced.

SILLY WOMAN!!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when the wifey runs the checkbook yer screwed!!!!!!!!!!

Beg, plead, grovel........... none of it seems to work tho.
I shouldn't complain tho,,, she let me have the car in the first place!!!!!!! She's into cars, just doesn't "understand" the viper tho..... oh well.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been married 12 years and am not super rich. My wife will find ways for me to enjoy my hobbies selflessly, without needing something in return. When I was recently talking about buying another vehicle, on her own she sat down to try to figure out how and when we could afford it.

True love doesn't need to be a competition.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife does not complain; she knows talk like that is a deal breaker. Arranged prior to the engagement, that is, along with a guys' trip every year to the far corners of the earth with a couple old friends. No women allowed. We call it the Free Man's Tour. Coming up on our 3rd annual, "without permission, unauthorized, & unsubsidized" is our motto for the t-shirts.

Are you having to borrow money from her to fix it up or something? Remind her you're not asking for any personal loans from her to do what you want. As long as the savings goals are being met and the bills are paid, whatever is left over should be free game. If that's not enough for her, maybe she should get a job. What is the income disproportion?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife is great with my Viper mods!
With that said, I still expect a Remark/Comment made here and there about how much I put into my GTS versus how many shoes, bags she has, etc! I don't think I would respect her as much if she didn't give me a little Sh*t about it! :p
She also knows that if she wants something and it's important to her, then she will get it! Yes, that means I get to give her a little Sh*t! :p
See how easy it is! :D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im pretty lucky there my gf buys me a ton of viper mods hell she bought most of em on there now

KingSnake97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hide the parts until they have been installed. :D

Paolo don't you say a word!!!!!!!!! she might take the car from me when she notices the new TOY..... or hears it coming down the drive way. :rolleyes:

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife figures that the more I enjoy my car, the less she has to bother with me, so she's happy.

The first problem is a wife who judges your spending of your money that you work hard for. Tell her to get a job and then she can feel more free with what she works hard for (that is if the kids are in school, of course).

Second problem is a wife who takes your money, and pays the bills in the house. Yeah, sure, I'd let that happen. You make the money, you pay the bills. Give her and the kids what they need, and enjoy yourself.

My view on it: I need to be healthy for my family. For me to do that, I need to be happy. For me to be happy, I need to go real fast in a great car.

Case closed.

Andrew

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At my house, she has her money, I have mine.
If a couple doesn't have that kind of an arrangement there will probably be money arguments sooner or later.

Of course, if you have kids, you are probably $crewed, think Al Bundy.

This prompts me to repeat item #2 from Joe's list of important rules for life.
#2 Never have any children.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I have adopted the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy. We each have our own money stash and the main one for the household and kids. It works out better that way. NO TROUBLE!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been married 12 years and am not super rich. My wife will find ways for me to enjoy my hobbies selflessly, without needing something in return. When I was recently talking about buying another vehicle, on her own she sat down to try to figure out how and when we could afford it.

As corney as that sounds, I like that and you must have a cool wife that looks at it that way and has an "I can" type attitude.

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been married 26 years and she has put up with my 20+ toys. The Viper was her Christmas gift and in turn she gave me half. All future mods like in the past are agreed on before they are purchased or at least before they arrive. She is my best friend and my (our) GTS is a close second. Just don't tell the kids.

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As corney as that sounds, I like that and you must have a cool wife that looks at it that way and has an "I can" type attitude.

Nah.. it doesn't sound corney at all... I like it too... My wife actually convinced me to buy it, but now she thinks it is more than fast enough and would prefer that I spend money on things that will make us more money. She doesn't really expect those things I listed in return... she just expects them period. She is a great wife though, and her good sense has actually been a blessing. BUT SO HAS MINE! I need a supercharger!

Mike

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife never knew how much I really made or ever spent but for 23 years I spent every dime on my family. For the last 8 years the wife made 35-45K a year working. I paid allmost ALL the bills. She bought the food, clothes for me and spent the rest anyway she liked. I never complained about the million pairs of shoes or the 5 clothes closets with womens clothes to die for. And when I bought the 96 used Viper all she did was *****!!!
I even bought and surprised her with a brand new convertible before I bought Viper # 1 and she still went crazy leaving me. Here 3 years later I said enough and sadly after 27 years filed for divorce. The Viper was the first thing of any signifigance I ever bought for myself. Now she cant spend a dime and all her pay goes to paying her bills, which leaves her no extra spending money. This is a woman who spent 300-500 a week on herself. Her days of spending are over. I guess thats poetic justice.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife never knew how much I really made or ever spent but for 23 years I spent every dime on my family. For the last 8 years the wife made 35-45K a year working. I paid allmost ALL the bills. She bought the food, clothes for me and spent the rest anyway she liked. I never complained about the million pairs of shoes or the 5 clothes closets with womens clothes to die for. And when I bought the 96 used Viper all she did was *****!!!
I even bought and surprised her with a brand new convertible before I bought Viper # 1 and she still went crazy leaving me. Here 3 years later I said enough and sadly after 27 years filed for divorce. The Viper was the first thing of any signifigance I ever bought for myself. Now she cant spend a dime and all her pay goes to paying her bills, which leaves her no extra spending money. This is a woman who spent 300-500 a week on herself. Her days of spending are over. I guess thats poetic justice.

Wait till her lawyers are done with you. She will not work and still spend the money that she did but this time you will be paying. :mad:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike did you live in my house? Your story sounds all too familiar. A $100 shift knob was bait for weeks on end but a weekly spa visit of a couple hundred was necessary due to all the stress.

"I paid allmost ALL the bills. She bought the food, clothes for me and spent the rest anyway she liked."

For me it was more like I paid ALL the bills. She bought, well she bought whatever she wanted. Course to end it I ended up buying a house for her. Call it an investment that has been paying off ever since!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I buy viper toys and she buys girl toys.Jewelry,etc.We have rare breed dogs take vacations (we take turns picking)and all the other stuff.Bottom line.She knows that the only girlfriend/mistress I will ever have.Be on top of,along side of or underneath is named Viper. Bruce

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always had a separate slush fund for toys.
She wonders (outloud) what the boxes arriving on the doorstep are, but she doesn't complain too much about it.

But on the other side, she has zero interest in the car and she is truly puzzled when friends and strangers mention how amazingly cool they think the Viper is. But she has only seen cars as transportation to get from A-to-B.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife is cool. She gets enjoyment out of seeing me happy. Sure I get the old "can't believe how much you are spending on that car" thing, but she is basically behind me the whole way. You guys just have to keep them happy in other ways and it will keep a smile on their face, and yours too!

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to take up a second job to support my MOD fever..Aside from the silly Hot Dog hat that I have to wear I really enjoy the career oppty's at Weinerschnitzel :D

My GF is very supportive of my HP addiction :headbang:

Cheers
Jeff

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, thats because she is still your GF, you have a Viper, and she is not your wife.

Mike

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wife bought me the Viper for a father's day present (with coin I made of course). She puts more miles on it than me. My fault I guess, I taught her to drive a manual on my 70 429SCJ when she was 16 ( and I at the ripe old age of 17). She has been a leadfoot since. We've had some fun rides over the years as a result, so I'd say it is all for the better.