If you ever drive in Florida

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHUCK!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!! INVU!!!!

Wish the liberal wussies up here would kick the "q-tips" outta the left lane here :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i sure wish they would do that here in Tx...especially the truckers!!...since the NAFTA deal it's increased traffic here alot and they say it's gonna increase 85% more in the next 5 yrs....Len

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mom lives in Pasco county, that is funny.

...good stuff, I work for pasco SO. I will be sure to keep her out of the left lanes. WAIT A SEC! All the damn roads in pasco are only 2 lane... :headbang:

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mom lives in Pasco county, that is funny.

...good stuff, I work for pasco SO. I will be sure to keep her out of the left lanes. WAIT A SEC! All the damn roads in pasco are only 2 lane... :headbang:

Hopefully law inforcement will in force the law! :D

Cudaman :usa:

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally a way to clear all the Blue hairs out of the left lane in their Buick's, Lincoln's, Cadillac's and Van's. There is a God in Tallahassee.

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it. As a Sergeant for the Jacksonville,Fl. S.O. I can say I have warned numerous motorists and given a few tickets in my career for driving too slow in the passing lane and impeding the flow of traffic. It is amazing how so many people drive in the passing lane while getting passed by other motorists on the right.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
COOL!! I am thinking of relocating down to the Tampa area in a few months this is just one more reason to pull the trigger. :cool:

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Evidently I made the wrong career choice as a child...It seems more of our clients work in law enforcement and fire rescue/EMT these days. Go figure!

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Larry in 10 years I'll switch careers with you. Then I can go fast, mess with cars, and write it all off on my taxes. That's the ticket.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Larry in 10 years I'll switch careers with you. Then I can go fast, mess with cars, and write it all off on my taxes. That's the ticket.

I am with Pasco SO and only have umm....(Lets see, I am 26, should be retired by 45) well, whatever...too many years to go. Will be doing the same again at that time. :usa:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like to see some **** driving slow in the passing lane but I don't think this law is telling people to go as fast as they want in the left lane.
In fact, I don't understand the text of the article.

"The Florida Highway Patrol has launched a new campaign to remind drivers to use the left lane of a highway for passing only."

OK, I get that. But do they mean that a guy in the passing lane, going 85 is supposed to move right for a guy who wants to drive 100? Are they going to ticket the 85mph guy for not getting out of the way?

"The first billboard highlighting the message is on I-75 in Pasco County."

The billboard shows a single car in the left lane and jammed traffic in the two right lanes. If I was going 85 in that left lane, do I move into the jam so some guy can go 100?

"What we are seeing here are aggressive drivers that ultimately crash, Trooper Larry Coggins of the Florida Highway Patrol said."

Who are they talking about? The left lane hog? Aggressive? Crash?
What are they talking about?

"Driving slowly in the left lane can lead to a $100 ticket and losing three points on your license each time you get caught."

I understand that part. They stop more people and give out more tickets.
What's new? They could have been doing that for the last ten years.

Again, I'm not going to drive slow. I'm going to drive fast. But if I'm 25mph over the cars in the lane to the right, I'm not going to slow down and jump into that just because some guy comes up behind me.

I'll speed up and move over when there is a break and the guy behind me should be smart enough to see what's happening.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you move right to let the guy go 100. This is how they do it in Germany and it works so well that until you've experienced it, you just can't believe the lack of respect we give each other here. It's not an insult to be passed.

No the cops wouldn't give the guy going 85 a ticket, he moved over. They would be sitting over the next hill to clock the guy doing 100......I say, if they want a ticket, let'm go.

Every day I pass someone on a two lane (legally) and boot it up to a higher speed (Illegal) and guess what? They don't drop back out of sight. They were doing 45 and now I'm at 80, but as soon as I passed them, a lightbulb clicked in their tiny brain and they sped up. Duh! If they were going a reasonable speed, I wouldn't have to pass them! Now they get ********** they got passed by a Viper. Get used to it.

Bottom line is: Some people seem to think the person behind us wanting to go faster is a ****. They act like vigilantes and slow down, just to stress others out and teach them a lesson. Face it, a 16 year old in a Yugo can control the Rolls behind him! POWER! The blue hairs are just totally clueless....We all need REAL driver training starting with courtesy!

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do they mean that a guy in the passing lane, going 85 is supposed to move right for a guy who wants to drive 100?
Yes
Are they going to ticket the 85mph guy for not getting out of the way?
I hope so

If I was going 85 in that left lane, do I move into the jam so some guy can go 100?
Yes

"What we are seeing here are aggressive drivers that ultimately crash, Trooper Larry Coggins of the Florida Highway Patrol said."
Who are they talking about? The left lane hog? Aggressive? Crash?
What are they talking about?
Who knows? Please move over.

Again, I'm not going to drive slow. I'm going to drive fast. But if I'm 25mph over the cars in the lane to the right, I'm not going to slow down and jump into that just because some guy comes up behind me.

Please move over. It's the baby steps toward getting some semblance of an autobahn.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not going to block someone from passing me. I'm not going to drive slow.
I'm going to move over.
In fact, I'm not even going to be in the left lane if there are fast cars in the lane to the right.

But if the traffic in the next lane to the right is clogged up with slow cars and trucks, I'm going to wait until I can move over without getting into a jam.
I'll move but give me a chance.

If I'm going 85 and a guy comes up doing 100, you say I have to get out of his way right now no matter what's going on in the next lane?
That's BS.

If I were going 85 and the traffic to the right was going 70, I'd slow down and move over as soon as I saw a fast car coming up.

This law is about people driving 65 in the left lane holding everyone up behind them.
It's not about cars going 100.

You mentioned "respect". I believe it's a matter of respect not to insist on someone getting out of your way RIGHT NOW when it would obviously be very inconvenient to do so.

Show some respect and give the guy a reasonable chance to move without screwing him up.

yuckydog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I've been told from the IL State Police regarding the passing lane law here in IL:

1. You're to move over to the right at the first available safe opportunity. Thus if you are going 85 (speed limit here is 65) and there's a small open space between 2 semi-trucks going 65, that would not be the time to move over for the guy coming up behind you at 100. (They guy coming up behind you should be able to notice the situation and slow down accordingly, no?)
2. The police stress that people should not act as law enforcement. This holds especially true for those individuals who brake, slow down or not move over just because they feel people are going too fast.

Now for those of you who want the US highways to be like the German Autobahn, remember that not all of the Autobahn is limitless stretches of unregulated speed. In fact, a large part of it is congested and clogged just like here in the States.

As for those of you who believe that everyone else should just move out of your way as soon as they catch a glimpse of you so that you can cruise unimpeded 100% of the time, grow up. :) Driving is a privilege, not a right and it's a freedom that all should be able to enjoy as long as they are capable of observing the rules of the road.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am grown up and yes, the Autobahn has traffic. BUT, on my last trip I drove 11 hours in ONE day from Munich to Wolfsburg and back. Not ONCE did anyone refuse to move over when I approached, and not once did I have to move over when being approached without ample time to SAFELY change lanes. It seems like we all have different 'rules' we go by in this country, which all stems from attitude and POOR DRIVER TRAINING AT A YOUNG AGE. It costs about $5000+ to obtain a license in Germany. It's not easy. After tons of experience, I have to honestly say that thier system works far better than ours.

Imagine driving on interstate 95 from Jacksonville Florida to Washington DC in 5 hours. Those that want to keep right and take 11 hours.....good for them.
Do the math for yourself. Pick a city 2 hours away and now imagine you could be there (safely) in under an hour. Isn't that better?

Yuckydog, it's not about moving out of MY way, it's about treating each other with respect, and I'll move for you too! I don't care if you're in a Viper or an Opel Corsa 1.2 liter! That's what I was in on my last trip (only car available with a nav system!) and to see a Mercedes S600 pull over without hesitation for my little Opel was amazing.

God bless America, but we need a better driver training system, and then stretches of highway with no limit. Driving IS a priviledge. One that we give too easily. IMHO

yuckydog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree totally that our Driver's Education system is sorely lacking. This is compounded by the fact that (no offense intended) new immigrants can get licenses without even being able to speak English. Also, we've got way too many people gabbing on the phone and not even thinking about driving like checking their mirrors periodically. And aren't Democrats in CA wanting to give DLs to illegal immigrants? :confused:

And yes, I move over as soon as I see anyone approaching me rapidly even if it means I have to slightly slow down to squeeze in the right lane...right in between 2 dump trucks who are travelling way to fast without any tarp or cover and spewing gravel and sand everywhere. :)

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now for those of you who want the US highways to be like the German Autobahn, remember that not all of the Autobahn is limitless stretches of unregulated speed. In fact, a large part of it is congested and clogged just like here in the States.

How congested is I-80 West of Ottawa? Don't bother answering. I grew up in Illinois. There is a lot of open highway in that state where 90-110mph cruising would be safe - IF SLOWER TRAFFIC KEPT RIGHT!

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, driving is not treated as a privilege but a right. Not every individual is as responsible as those of you above. There will be people without sufficient driving skill and experience driving beyond their capabilities in the left lane and creating hazardous conditions.

In the best of worlds, I would have a different license for those who pass a more rigorous driving skills test that would allow them to drive with more privileges in the left lane, enforced by a large fine.

The way things are, we create laws to protect ourselves from those who for many reasons (ignorance, stupidity, carelessness, maliciousness, recklessness, to name a few) would cause us harm or infringe on our rights and freedoms. This necessarily leads to laws which are more restrictive than they would need to be for the majority.

Ticketing people using the left lane innapropriately is a good first step though. How many times have you wished you had the authority to just take someone's license, on the spot and permanently, for driving stupidly.
That would solve our traffic problem!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yuckydog is right.
You guys who demand instant open road even if the guy in front of you has to dive into very congested traffic on the right, are being childishly self centered.

So the Germans insist on strict lane discipline and they have open roads and they make people pay $5k to drive.
They are Germans, what do you expect.

To tell the truth, I don't think it's safe to have more than abou 25mph difference between ajacent lanes.
Too many dumba$$es for me to be going 100 next to a lane of 65s. Theu will pull in front of you just like they do to bikes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang