If YOU were buying a Viper...

Mazman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
and it had one of the following two options on it, which one would you prefer and why?

Viper with:
A) after-market wheels that looks awesome
OR
B) headers, hi-flo cats and cat-back that sounds awesome.

(Let's assume cost for option A and B are the same. Ofcourse, ideally you'd want both!)

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,

I would go with the exhaust mods. The reason being that deciding on a set of rims is easy. However, the exhaust question is very subjective. If the car already has an exhaust that makes you salivate to get behind the wheel, you'll be way ahead. It's also the type of job that will keep your car off the road and in someone else's hands for a while. Changing the wheels is a quick and straight forward proposition.

Good Luck!
Paul
:2tu:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the exhaust mods. Wheels can really make a Viper look awesome, but Vipers look awesome to begin with. The exhaust is one part of a Viper that should be updated IMHO. When you have the power a Viper offers, most people are going to want push the envelope even further. My last car was done up for show, but wasnt very fast, with a Viper, you can have both. Go for the performance mods and then add to the looks later

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm probably the only Viper fan in the world who likes the stock Gen II wheels better than any aftermarket ones.

I'd go for the exhaust, but from your locale be sure they'll pass emission testing.

OP
OP
M

Mazman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'm a bit surprised that exhaust mods would be a better selling point than wheels since most folks usually want to go for an 'unmolested' Viper. For most, I think, exhaust mods give the impression that the car has been driven hard thus making it a second choice. It would be interesting to hear from folks who have recently sold their Vipers what their experiences have been with respect to those mods.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Johann- I'm with you. I think the stock wheels look the best and also are by far easier to clean than the wheels on the ACR for example.

Maz- My car is for sale and has an aftermarket exhaust and has never NEVER been driven hard. I simply wanted a better sound. I have a feeling that quite a few people have chaged out their stock exhaust for a better sound and not necessarily to beat it to death.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm probably the only Viper fan in the world who likes the stock Gen II wheels better than any aftermarket ones.

I'd go for the exhaust, but from your locale be sure they'll pass emission testing.

No your not, I agree. I think the five spoke wheels on my '98 look really nice, they are highly polished and fit the car well.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Exhaust mods, you will wind up doing them anyway and the wheels well you can do yourself when ready if you want.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take the one with the Wheels, as the price of wheels these days is higher than exhuast.

A set of aftermarket wheels/tires, will run $5000 on average.

Headers, exhaust will run $2500.

Poor mans exhaust is 3" straight-pipe, NO CATS! Pick up some used headers for $1300+/- and your in way under $2000.

Wheels for me! :D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He lives in California, don't think he's passing emissions with no cats.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about other states - but in Pa. you don't need to pass emissions if you drive less than 3k per year- which I am sure many viper drivers don't.
Garwood

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you every race the car?

For just a normal driver, the 99 wheels look much better than the 97's!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting quandry you have there. I had the same problem. I picked headers/cats/cat-back. No regrets.

vipergts2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please move out of Sacramento!!!!!!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is easy. Bling does not make the car faster!

You must be registered for see images

I practice what I preach. My old HRE 543 19s are for sale. :D

OP
OP
M

Mazman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like exhaust mods have a better chance of selling your Viper than aftermarket wheels. I thought the opposite would be true but good and interesting feedback. thanks!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough question,so though as a matter of fact that I couldn't choose and did both the exhaust (Corsa catback) and the wheels (ARC)

Luc. 00GTS

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My 95 sports Gen II OEM wheels and I agree with you! Sorry, you're not alone... :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it were a Gen 1, this would be a no brainer. Replace the fugly 3 spoke wheels and then set the 3 spokes on the curb for the trashman (if he'd take 'em).

Bulldogger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll approach from a different angle. If the exhaust was done there's the possability he's been driving it harder to hear that wonderful sound. Where as if just the wheels are done he maybe slow cruising so everybogy can check out the ride. For me I'd shoot the wheel option first provided I like the look. Exhaust notes can be subjective to as far as the sound. Dave

jibran

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what do the upgraded wheels look like? versus what's stock?

maybe that would make it easier for people to recommend one versus the other.

i would personally go for the exhaust. exhaust mod doesnt mean that the car was driven hard for sure. that's a judgement call based on driver and his driving habbits.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I'm probably the only Viper fan in the world who likes the stock Gen II wheels better than any aftermarket ones."

No, it looks like more than a few of us like the stock genII wheels.

I would go so far as to say that some of the very expensive aftermarket wheels look like crap on a Viper.
JMO, but I'll bet I'm not the only one who thinks fancy wheels on a Viper are a form of RICE.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the mods... A viper is a viper regardless of what wheels you have on stock or cool lookin (unless you have spinners, then go out to a field and shoot yourself in the head).

You can always buy wheels and get those install cheaper than the mods. Not much research on that, you already know what you think looks good so save up and buy those. Hell, you may even find better looking wheels between now and that time.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B: Because the first time you lose a race...you think...oh sh##, if only I would have spent the money on the performance mods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine