Ignition problem

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 05 SRT (2500) miles, has not run smooth since I purchased the car. I changed the wires, plugs, obviously removed the inlet and tightened everything down correctly.
The car improved by about 75%, but there is still this annoying (feels like a misfire but isn't thing going on).
I pulled in McDonalds, and when I returned to the car I turned the key, disarmed the alarm, pressed the start button, and lost all power to the car. I knew this as the radio asked for me to input the code, however the car started on the second attempt.
Is it possible a faulty alarm connection could cause my car to hesitate and **** the car under acceleration, I am out of ideas! I checked the battery in the car and ensured there was a good earth connection, but the car is still not smooth.
Any ideas appreciated.:(
Thanks
Ade

V

Venomiss

You said you checked the battery. Has it ever been changed?

OP
OP
A

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes new battery fitted 3 months ago by previous owner, when i collected the car he commented it was running a bit lumpy. This prompted me to change the wires and plugs which greatly improved the situation.
Then the car cut out when i tried to start it ( it made a click sound all power lost), but started when i tried the second time. I am wondering is this fault responsible for the cars intermittent lack of smoothness, has anyone had the same problem. This is ruining the pleasure of owning the car, my 97GTS never missed a beat!

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know that I'd have taken the car if it was running differently than it was on the test drive :nono:(I assume you test drove it before buying and it ran correctly?).Anyway,that's some low miles for an '05,how long has it been sitting on the gas that's in the tank?

OP
OP
A

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't test drive the car as it had only covered 750 miles from new, the car is as brand new even now. There is nothing seriously wrong with the car it drives perfectly smooth on occasions, loads of power, it is just spoilt by this intermittent fault. I was wondering if the car alarm could have a fault which may produce this problem, as when I disarmed the alarm with the key fob I lost the electrical supply to the starter button. This was evident as the radio then requested the code which only happens usually with a battery disconnect.

Reaction score
Is there any check engine lights with the no start? If running rough and actually a misfire you should get a code. The battery may be new but could be bad so have it checked with a meter. Also check to see that there is not excessive draw going on while car is off and sitting you may be discharging the battery without knowing which can cause all of this.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I agree, batteries can cause all sorts of weird maladies. Check to make sure the cables are tight on the terminals!!!

OP
OP
A

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem has not returned since I cleaned the main earth cable, however my car is not running right and when i accelerate it feels like the car is holding back, and at low revs it bucks and surges; I have to depress the clutch to prevent embarrasing knocking noises from the diff. I had to change a spark wire at 750 miles as it was broken (I changed them all), the car had a slight misfire is it possible my cat could be damaged, although the car was driven carefully. and never threw a code.:(
thx

OP
OP
A

adesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone with Viper knowledge give me an idea what I should check first and in which order to try to find the problem, I am starting to lose patience with the car.:confused:
There are no Viper techs where I am from.

Thanks