Im losing fuel while idle crap!!

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first let me say i have an exhaust leak, in fact a crack in both the manifolds. I just never realised it would affect my fuel consumption this bad as the cracks are not THAT big.. but i guess its messing with my o2 sensers.. i confirmed it tonight

I ran the car till the red indicator was completely on the qaurter line tank of gas. waited till the car got cold.

started the car and sat idle.. after 5 minutes the red indicator had completely moved off the qaurter line. drove a few miles up and down the street probebly less then 3 miles. came back home.

by now i had lost a half of a qaurter tank. im guessings its my o2 sensor from having 2 cracked manifolds (which i will be fixing soon)

anyone have any other ideas what it could be?

also can u lose hp from having two cracked manifolds?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can lose hp from cracked manifolds and driving while having cracked manifolds is not a good idea.

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plum

Your right im just waiting for the parts to come in so i can change it. the cracks are small enough that when the car heats up you cant even till there cracked.. only when the car is cold you can tell..

im just worried about losing so much gas.. i guess having TWO crack manifold is driving the 02 censor crazy.. and its compensating by pushing in more gas..

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes. The cracked manifolds are allowing oxygen to seep in and get to the O2 sensors. This will cause the O2's to think the engine is running lean, and they will compensate by dumping in more fuel.

Until you can get it fixed, I recommend disconnecting the front O2 sensors, starting the engine until it pops a check engine light, and then you can plug them back in. This will cause the computer to think the O2's are bad, and will turn off and zero out the Closed Loop control function in the computer, which is the routine that is dumping more fuel than is really needed. Do not clear this code until after you repair/replace the manifolds.