I'm too LOUD !! help !!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it might cost you an engine if its on the dyno and clogged though, dont let it get that far....

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was kind of funny, I fired my car up in a parking lot, and this woman jumped back about a foot and grabbed her chest, like a gun shot just went off. She realized it was my car and looked at me like I was some crazy out to kill her.. lol.. :rolaugh:

Jon

This happened to me last weekend as well. I have no cats and a corsa exhaust. This poor female was walking by my car when starting it and giving it a little gas. She jumped so far her sun glasses fell off. I just smiled and waved. I received a look of utter distain. I guess she wasn't a gear head:lmao:

D

DAMN YANKEE

How do you know when a cat goes bad?

Great question.

First, how many actually know what a cat is doing? The cat is converting harmful gases to water and other more benign gases.

The catalysts include:
  • Oxidation catalysts: Palladium (Pd) and platinum (Pt) metals in very small amounts (to keep the catalytic converter price down) convert the hydrocarbons of unburned gasoline and carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide and water.
  • Reduction catalysts: Palladium and rhodium (Rh) metals also in very small amounts convert the nitrogen oxide to nitrogen and oxygen. Nitrogen oxide is a big contributor to smog.
You must be registered for see images

"The average light off temperature at which the catalytic converter begins to function ranges from 400 to 600 degrees F. The normal operating temperature can range up to 1,200 to 1,600 degrees F. But as the amount of pollutants in the exhaust go up, so does the converter's operating temperature. If the temperature gets up around 2,000 degrees F or higher, several things happen. The aluminum oxide honeycomb begins to degrade and weaken. The platinum and palladium coating on the honeycomb also starts to melt and sink into the ceramic substrate reducing its effect on the exhaust. This accelerates the aging process and causes the converter to lose efficiency."

They can fail from essentially four reasons.

1. Bad tunes (PCM plus whatever your using) send way too much fuel (rich, unburned) through them and they become so hot that they fail or are "poisoned".

2. Bad valves, they can do the same thing.

3. Bad plugs...of course, bad plugs, fouled plugs do the exact same thing....unburned fuel down the tubes.

4. Crap cat construction.

So, given all that what should one do....or, how can one tell.

1. Car running poorly?
2. Sills red hot?
3. Smoke, fumes out the exhaust?
4. Hard starting, or better yet...starts then chocks out?
5. Got a Fuel/Air meter? Are you running near Lambda? Air fuel meters are a must for large engines.
6. Logs showing variations, especially at higher RPMs?
7. Stuck in Open Loop all the time?

Some guys remove the front O2 sensor and see if the motor runs better.
Some guys check back pressure.

Best shot...tune it yourself and check it every four months....or go to a great tuner and have them tune it regularly.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the research continues.

I have contacted a number of mfgers.

And so far this is what I have:

Vortex Cones reduce sound by 3BDAs (Which the Dynatech/Vortech technician told me is actually almost inaudiable difference to the human ear... aka doesn't do much). VERY surprised but appreciative to hear this 'frankness' from their own engineer.

next he told me that their Dynatech Split Flow would be a better option as it does 6-8 DBAs reduction.

So I asked him could I just combine them both and hopefully get 11 BDAs reduction and he said its certainly an option. Didnt sound like he was completely sold on the 'stacking' of them adding up to be 100% of the two together. might mean I only get 9-10DBAs by doing both.

I am trying to get a hold of Moroso to find out what their spiral flows do for DBA reduction numbers.

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update update.. can't get anyone at moroso to answer the phone or call me back. :(

so i ordered Dynatech Vortex Cones and Aero exhaust AR30 : 3 inch vehicle resonator, AR30, Exhaust Systems

But also because of feedback from others I also ordered moroso Spiral flows, and will return either them or the AR30s based on which ones work for my application the best.

Jon

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I asked him could I just combine them both and hopefully get 11 BDAs reduction and he said its certainly an option.
Jon

reminds me of one of those guys that thinks if he adds a K&N(up to 25 hp), catback exhaust(up to 30 hp) and a hyper tech power programer(up to 40hp) to his 300 rwhp camaro will now have 395 rwhp:2tu:

Why don't you just do like the ricers and make a silencer for each side??:rolaugh::eater:

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
reminds me of one of those guys that thinks if he adds a K&N(up to 25 hp), catback exhaust(up to 30 hp) and a hyper tech power programer(up to 40hp) to his 300 rwhp camaro will now have 395 rwhp:2tu:

Why don't you just do like the ricers and make a silencer for each side??:rolaugh::eater:

Why don't you just do like a leaf and phruck off.

..!..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc