Impact of nonfactory paint on value of GTS

Reaction score
We all love our Vipers, but they aren't quite the vintage Porsche are they? "Collectors" don't look at Vipers, only people who are into "Cool" and "Oh-My-God!"...

I hated the milky Dodge black that mine was painted, even though the body was perfect. I also wasn't very happy about the aging cellulite that comes along after a few years in the sun (the Viper that is!). Because of these things, I had my Viper repainted with a very costly paint job. It was professionally done and I had elapsed-time video taken of the whole process along with over 1000 pictures of the entire body. This shows that there was no damage.

I have been offered over $160,000 for this 1995 Viper RT/10 with over 50,000 miles on it, and I've done just about everything to make this thing "un-stock" in every way. That's the neat thing about Vipers! They're the ultimate do-what-you-want muscle car that doesn't require any apologies to the Concourse de Elegance crowd! I have Collector automobiles that I keep to the "Letter", but the Viper will always be my favorite and the most fun to work on...

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think a custom color really hurts the value of the car if the color is chosen wisely and paint is clean and straight.

To repaint a GTS with stripes, complete take apart and remove all old paint, jams, hinges etc cost about $5,500.00.

I am considering buying an older gts, whatever color car I can get the best deal on and then doing a custom paint job. whenever I go to these VCA meeting I realize how unrare and not unique my car is.

If you like the color, just run a car fax and make sure the car was not in an accident, then ask own why he repainted the car, most viper/car guys will usually document the car before, during and after restore/repaint.

What color is the car?????

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipereus Optimus, How come you haven't sold that thing yet? Is that the one that you sent to Hawaii to get the guy to paint it? I think I saw that one on ebay. If that's the one I'll have to tell you that I don't believe anyone would pay you $150k for it. I think you feel that if you tell people that long enough that someone will want it. Is that the car?
About the question, Of course a repaint job detracts from the value of a car. Even if it looks great you don't know what a repaint might look like in a year. Why, tell me why, would anyone stand in front of two equal Vipers and pick the one with the repaint. Get real.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe117:
Vipereus Optimus, How come you haven't sold that thing yet? Is that the one that you sent to Hawaii to get the guy to paint it? I think I saw that one on ebay. If that's the one I'll have to tell you that I don't believe anyone would pay you $150k for it. I think you feel that if you tell people that long enough that someone will want it. Is that the car?
About the question, Of course a repaint job detracts from the value of a car. Even if it looks great you don't know what a repaint might look like in a year. Why, tell me why, would anyone stand in front of two equal Vipers and pick the one with the repaint. Get real.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I think you are talking about Remey's car with the dolphin on the hood.

As far as someone offering you $150K for a 95 RT w/ 50K miles on it. Could you tell us a little more about the mods you have on it?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to take some of that back:-(
I was mixing up you with either one of two cars I've seen offered at high prices due to what I consider an ugly paint job. I looked at your website, as I should have done first.
I still don't see why you think your, very nice, car would be worth $160k.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
joe117:

You're right, that was the "Dolphin" one. Even I'm not that nuts!

I have pretty much everything you can get, including DLM's magic. The real value comes from Jerry Wolfe, the famous car designer who developed my custom Intake and custom painted my Viper (he also designs those far-out future cars for Hot-Wheels). The paint /body work was almost $50,000 and the engine should finish out at $40,000+. This doesn't count for any of the other stuff I had done. I did it for the fun, and I certainly wouldn't pay $160,000 for any American automobile. (other than my wasteful Viper project).

As a point of interest, I wasn't offered that much money by any "Viper" guys. As a matter of fact, they weren't really that much into cars. We were just talking Corporate Jets one day at lunch and two guys starting bidding for my Viper. It was pocket change to them, and I declined for the same reason.

As for "Side By Side", I didn't pay that much money to have the same paint job as anyone else. Believe me, you can tell a big difference and I've won a lot of car shows...

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe117:
I'll have to take some of that back:-(
I was mixing up you with either one of two cars I've seen offered at high prices due to what I consider an ugly paint job. I looked at your website, as I should have done first.
I still don't see why you think your, very nice, car would be worth $160k.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though I have almost that much into it, I DON'T think it is worth that much. I never said it was! It was just a group of rich friends who did. Isn't something only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it? I have far more into it than it's worth. Even my Insurance company thinks it's only worth $34,000 (salvage value). If I total it, then it was worth only $34k. If I sell it to a buddy for $160k because he thinks it looks good next to his Jet, then that's what it's worth...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that the least it could hurt the value of the car is the amount it would cost to make it stock again. but heck...if YOU like the custom paint..go for it.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Its not so much the non-factory paint that will decrease the value so much as what that paint is hiding. There is a very high ratio of repainted cars vs. wrecked cars so that it itself will cause questions. If you want an analytical answer you will be hard pressed to find one. As a buyer the first things I would ask is:

1 - Why was the car repainted? To hide damage? To hide rust?

2 - Assuming there was no damage: Did the original paint fade? Show signs of neglect? Was it keyed?

3 - Is the new colour the same as the original? If not is it a standard Viper colour (red, black, yellow ect..)?

4 - If its a custom paint job (still assuming quality work): Does the car look TOO flashy now (chrome chameleon, DOT orange...)? Was there more work done? (rarely do people repaint a car and not spend some dough on mods - which really do decrease value)Remember Mods and flashy paint turn new buyers off and though the car is cool looking on the street it will do much worse in the classifieds.

I'm overly paranoid, but if it were repainted (especially if its now a common colour) I'd do a detailed check into the background just to be sure. There may be some other concern hiding below that new gloss there.

If you're sure of the car itself (and sure of its history) than a great paint job (of common colour) shouldn't really change the value.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why was it repainted? owner preference? just a color change or custom?

Anyone who hears a repaint thinks it's been wrecked or had other dammage. I guess it all comes down to your view of the car.. if you like it, go for it. If your buying it for it's future resale value, then pass most definetly!

MadMaxx

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang bonkers, beat me too it why don't ya! hehe
wink.gif

MadMaxx

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dvickrey:
an inspection to make sure that the car has not been in any major shunts <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. A $200 Viper Tech visit is worth its weight in gold.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(2) a VIN search to make sure it is not a salvage title. Is there anything else that I should do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VIN search on Carfax AND a dodge dealership AND a Motor Vehicle background. Again a wasted day at the DMV/Dealership is still better than a few hours on the side of the highway.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My concern is that, even if there is no significant damage to the car and the car were repainted to its original factory silver, the value would still be impaired by the repaint<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The possibility still exists, but in reality Vipereus is right on the mark about these cars being collectibles. If the car you're looking at has over 2500 miles than its already into the "assumed abused" category for collector's status. By changing the colour back to the original you might be able to swindle a dealership or naive buyer into thinking its fine, but the diehard fans won't have any issues with a clean - repainted car if you can prove its history.

Besides which I kinda like the colour of the Ebay car. A wing would be a must and those tan seats would have to go back into Remster's car, but other than that it shouldn't affect value enough to loose sleep over.