IMPORTANT UPDATE -- Recall Expanded on Cam Issue

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went in to the dealership this morning only to find out that the cam sprocket bolt recall has been expanded to include a larger number of vehicles. The new list of covered vehicles appears to have issued April 21.

OP
OP
K

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh, by the way have the dealer check the torque on your idler pulley. I stuck around to watch the tech pull of the serpentine belt and saw what looked like a loose idler pulley bolt...and it was almost ready to fall off! I would have lost power steering, cooling, etc. and been stranded by this problem also!

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, by the way have the dealer check the torque on your idler pulley.
After having numerous separate problems attributable to improper bolt tightening, at my request, my dealership secured permission from DC (i.e., DC agreed to pay for the work under warranty) to check the torque specs on every bolt and screw that they could get to, including the steering and breaking components.

OP
OP
K

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, it gets better on my car. The crank pulley fastener on the FEAD was also finger tight. Evidently, DCX has switched from using wrenches to human hands as a cost saving activity!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) IT AINT A RECALL !! It just feels like one

2) I came here to post the Oregon data, glad to see its up.

3) The issue will NOT expand to 2003. The factors that caused it were not present.

4) CHECK AND RE-CHECK YOUR VIN, if you were on or near the initial date ranges.
Each time a check-engine or other cam-bolt repair occurs OUTSIDE the [estimated?] date range, D-C is instantly notified and the range is expanded.

The Oregon car above was vin-checked 10 days ago as CLEAN....only to be "discovered" as "affected" while doing some upgrades this week! (Thanks kmg99!)

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry but the copy of what was given to me said reacll. I made the dealer give me a copy of the step by step tech guide on this "recall"

pm me with a fax # if anyone wants to see it. Its about 30 pages.

vd..

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of like the "flickering-headlight" issue. Was that a euphemism or what? It's my understanding, although I could be wrong, that that issue would have been more accurately dubbed the "complete-failure-of-headlights-in-the-dark-while-driving-at-high-speeds" issue or maybe, to be more concise, the “lights-out” or “driving-blind” issue. :eek:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just called DC yesterday, and I am still safe at a build date of February 6th. Does anyone know if this "recall" was expanded backwards, forwards, or inside the original timeframe?

04 SRT10 Owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recall at a minimum has been expanded to an earlier date since my car which has an MDH of 082212 has now been recalled. The car is at the dealership as we speak about to undergo surgery. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
K

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Talked with my dealer today. Evidently my harmonic damper was on the edge of flying off...but luckily had not damaged the crank snout. Ironically, the cam bolts were all snug.

I think the dealer did a much better job putting everything back together than DCX did in the first place. It is Timberline Dodge in Portland. The service manager is Ken and he is extremely knowledgeable about Vipers and I believe the tech's name was Bill.

As a side note, DCX only pays 3.1 hours for the entire repair job and I know the tech worked much longer on my car to make sure it was repaired properly. I'll have to bring him something by.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I just posted, my engine would not start again today, and when it finally did the check engine light stayed on. I was going to my dealer to get my 3.55 installed and was told BTW, my cam recall parts were in. I was never told I was on the list! I think dodge should give us the added confidence of an extended engine warranty after this bullsh^t.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey kmg99

thats word for word what my dealer told me about my car. I think that the guy was on crack when he put that part on.

vd..

OP
OP
K

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper D --

Sounds like you avoided a big problem on your car also.

Seriously though, if you have a 2004 car that is not in the "recall group" I would still take five minutes to check all items on the FEAD including the harmonic damper and the idler pulley. DCX does not have their arms around this issue entirely yet.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Confidence is dropping as I fly through faster corners.....

Seriously... my car is going on the lift this weekend, and EVERY SINGLE BOLT, NUT, and SCREW I can get to is going to be re-torqued. then loctited just in case!!!

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great stress reliever to see the sprocket myself and note there was no scoring of the surroundings. Now I just hope it all goes back together without developing a leak.