Impressions on Heffner's Performance

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressions on Heffner\'s Performance

Hello all, I just got back from visiting Jason Heffner's shop this weekend. I went there to see the shop and to get a ride in Gary Almond's Intercooled, Blown, Rocket-Sled.

Jason picked me up at the Airport and we went to the shop. I got to take a look at the car up on the lift and it was very interesting to see all the clean fabrication and excellent workmanship that Jason has completed thus far in the development of this supercharger package. He has really done some clean, functional engineering that obviously works very well. The shop was very clean and orderly.

I met Gary Almond who is such a nice, unassuming guy, who just let me take his car out for a ride by myself, do you believe it? Don't I wish! But he did take me for a ride... I have to say that this is the fastest car I have ever been in PERIOD! It pulled so hard in 4th gear I could not believe it! There's something very weird about accelerating at a rate 20% harder than a stock Viper does in 2nd gear BUT to do so at 140 MPH is pretty unreal! We also raced someone where @ about 100 MPH in 3rd gear, the back end kind of kicked out sideways a bit, very cool!

I have personally driven the patriot missile turbo car when it had 1000 crank hp and this Heffner car feels as fast or faster and definitely more streetable! This car drives just like a stock Viper until you get into the gas! I cannot believe it! I remember when I went to Lingenfelter and went for a ride in the LPE 540 Package car. What I could not get over was how stock it sounded until you got in the gas.

This Heffner car is the same way except for of course, its obviously faster and it should be with almost 850 RWHP!

I have talked to a lot of tuners like Wayne @ Apex, TNT, Grant's Performance, Sean Roe, John Lingenfelter, Dan Cragin, Rob at Axis, and Doug Levin, who is one hell of a nice guy and very knowlegeable and has had his ear talked off many times by me. I have considered many different ways to get more power, the right kind of power for me and have learned different things from all of these people(who have been very helpful, thank you all very much!) I gave Jason Heffner a deposit and he will be rebuilding my 73,000 mile 1996 GTS motor with custom billet Oliver rods, Ross forged pistons, balance, blueprint, heads, cam, intercooled supercharger. He will be doing all this for around 24K which I believe to be the best value for what I need to be done and for the horsepower I am seeking. I also get a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty with this on the motor. This the very important to me because I know Jason stands behind his work and I know he will be there for me if I need anything. There are only a handful of guys who have this kind of reputation in the Viper tuner world and depending on which way you want to go will determine which tuner you will choose.

I am so glad there are so many more choices today than there were a few years ago and that the amount of HP and reliability/driveability you can get for your dollar is only going up! Up until a few years ago, to get around 1,000 crank horsepower was either unheard of or cost $100,000.00. It is only going to get better!

Thanks again, Jason and Co! Paolo

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Impressions on Heffner\'s Performance

It was great meeting you Paolo! I'm glad there's going to be some competition out there real soon! hahaha!!

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations Paolo... I've read your posts for a long time, and have seen how long it has taken you to choose a tuner and a package. That is one sweet job for an even sweeter price.

How long until you have "a grand on tap" ?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paulo!

My eyes are hurting!

...one... big... single... spaced... paragraph...

Tom

PS. Seriously, your post is greatly appreciated!

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It'll be nice to have some competition around town.
cool.gif
embarass.gif
eek.gif
grazy.gif
yesnod.gif

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miles B:
Congratulations Paolo... I've read your posts for a long time, and have seen how long it has taken you to choose a tuner and a package. That is one sweet job for an even sweeter price.

How long until you have "a grand on tap" ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Miles, Jason will be getting my car in about a month and it should be a couple of months to get everything completed. I will also be getting transmission ratios of .80 for 5th and .62 for 6th to replace the stock .74 and .5. With these ratios, the car will have a HP multiplication of 2087.6 (850 HP x 3.07 x .8 =2087.6) in .80 5th gear. A stock car w/400 RWHP has a HP multiple of 921. This means that in 5th gear, Gary's car pulls 70% harder than a stock Viper in 4th, 30% harder than a stock Viper in 3rd and only 4% less than how hard a stock Viper will in 2nd! This seems weird, but it is the case! I am not sure how fast the car will go on the top end with the large frontal area of the Viper, but it should go well over 200 MPH! Paolo

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom and Vipers:
Paulo!

My eyes are hurting!

Tom

PS. Seriously, your post is greatly appreciated!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, in school, I always had a problem with run on sentences and paragraphing. I am glad I am not being graded on the grammatical aspect of my postings! LOL! I will try to work on that. Paolo

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryA:
It was great meeting you Paolo! I'm glad there's going to be some competition out there real soon! hahaha!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, thanks again for everything, and more specifically, thanks for the balls out 4th gear pull to 145 MPH! It was aaaawwwwesooome! I will see you guys pretty soon. Paolo

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo,
Glad to hear your car is alright. Can't wait to see it again. With all the power on tap (not that it'll be anything compared to my beast, yeah right), i have to make one request. 5pt harness for the passenger. Yeah, its a bouncy ride sometimes but fun nonetheless. Have to go find that fata$$ that was hasseling you and Marcus that night at Uno's and the ***** that i ran into the other day. Call me sometime.

Tom

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Me and Asif will be heading to Jasons shop tomorrow, cant wait.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Hi Paolo,
Sounds like you will have one mean ride and are getting exactly what you were looking for. Jason knows his stuff and I'm sure you'll enjoy the final product.
Congratulations,
Sean

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean Roe:
Hi Paolo,
Sounds like you will have one mean ride and are getting exactly what you were looking for. Jason knows his stuff and I'm sure you'll enjoy the final product.
Congratulations,
Sean
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot Sean! I am sure I will be needing some things from the Roe Racing catalog to complement the Heffner Supercharger system! I will give you a call! Paolo

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

PAOLO,do the math you could get 8 TOOFAST NOS setups for the same price,thats 2400HP for the money
clown.gif

Good Luck,i've been looking for a good reason to pull my motor!
supergrin.gif

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Passed by Heffners shop yesterday to check out Gary's car. After a long Q/A session with Jason while i was walking around the car, i think i checked every nut and bolt on that SC, Which was truly a work of engineering art, and that intercooler looked soo damnn sweet. I got all the info I needed to start considering this SC for my own car. After about 30 min of asking every question i could think of, the ride of my life was about to take place. Jason and I get in Gary's car (thanks Gary
wink.gif
), he starts it up, and we drive off. We spent about 5 min in traffic on our way to the highway...opps...i mean race track.... and then Jason hits it, WOW....i really cant explain how it felt......This car is the fastest dammn thing i have ever been in. I think you start looking for bikes only after this stage, since no other car will have much of a chance… and i thought my NOS viper was fast, it does not even come close to the way it felt when Jason floored it. Power came on smooth and stayed smooth.

What amazed me most about the car, and what made me decide to go with this kit, was the way the car idled and acted during traffic and around town. it felt so stock-like, it was unbelievable. revs were not bouncing around or anything, the car just idles and drove as if it was totally stock.

After i promised my self i would keep my car as simple as possible, and just staying N/A, due to me shipping my car over seas very soon, i have decided to add Heffners S/C on my car, and with the price Jason is selling them for, i could not pass this offer/ chance of having such a fast car.
Jason and Gary, thanks for the ride.
supergrin.gif

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TOOOFST:
PAOLO,do the math you could get 8 TOOFAST NOS setups for the same price,thats 2400HP for the money
clown.gif

Good Luck,i've been looking for a good reason to pull my motor!
supergrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott - sign me up for this!
laughing2[1].gif

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo;

Congrats--you are in great hands. Hope to see the car and even meet you one of these days. I try to get by Jason's shop periodically to see what's going on. Enjoy.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THEMASH:

Jason and Gary, thanks for the ride.
supergrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mash,

Glad you liked the car. Everybody that has ridden in it has come away with the same reaction. I think Jason's batting a 1000 on this one (horsepower, that is!).

This car continues to amaze me--finesse and brute power all in one package!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom and Vipers:
Paulo!

My eyes are hurting!

Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hurt my eyes too, so I broke it up into a few paragraphs, Paulo, if they do not look correct, let me know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten