installed headers

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up my car, headers being installed. Every thing is great no check engine light, nice loud sound. But one problem
frown.gif
when ever I hit the gas even in nuetral or all 6 gears there is wierd ticking sound that gets louder with the higher the rpms go. The guy who did the installation did nt know what made the sound. I am thinking its coming from the right side sill ( under driver ). Not sure about that but i am sure its from the left side of the car. Anybody know what this is ??

JeremyBlackwell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you checked to see if it's an exhaust leak at one of the connections? i would start there...that's exactly what it sounds like to me

OP
OP
V

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how do I check for leaks ??? or should I take it to a exhaust shop ?

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Most likely it is an exhaust leak. They didn't do anything inside the engine, right?
The HMS headers are a slip tube fit. These style do have a tendency to have small leaks, especially when at startup when the pipes and engine are cold. There is probably nothing wrong with them,it is just the nature of those type of headers. If not there, then it might be at the collector of where the cat-back starts. Since I have not heard it, it might also be the sound of the exhuast pulses going through stainless. Your engine is exhaling more efficiently now and stainless tends to echo and exaggerate sounds you may not have heard before.
Good luck.
Thx.
-Wayne

OP
OP
V

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lthl,

I believe they did nt do anything in the engine. I had the catback for a while now. I know that they made a custom pipe between the catback and the headers. I am thinking the leakage is from there. I am gonna record the noise and post it here. I heard that you have to do something about the plug wires so they dont melt. The stock heat shields couldnt be installed is that ok ? thanx again