Installed new System - Touch Screen DVD, TV and kept factory look

cirus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a new system in my 2000 GTS this weekend. Here is a link to all the pics.
http://www.dodgeviper.org/system.htm

My goal was to keep the factory look as much as posible. I went with the alpine MRP-f200 4 channel amp that mounts in the factory location, JLaudio 6.5 subs for the rear and kept the factory component system in the front. The head unit is the new Kenwood KVT-911DVD, which has touch screen dvd,tv tuner, navigation, cd, vcd. Over all the setup was pretty easy. I used most of all the factory wiring.

If any body has questions on the wiring setup please email me. The factory wiring is on the back of the factory amp and on the top of the radio.

The subs hit harder with the aftermarket amp and the factory component system sounds 10 times better with the new amp pushing it. The only wires I had to run was a new remote wire from the amp to the head unit and the rca cables. I had to mount an antenna on the back glass for the tv tuner, which is hardly noticeable at all. To bypass the emergency brake saftey for watching video while the car is moving... all you do with the kenwood is ground that wire. The kenwood unit is by far the best if your thinking about going with a single din unit.

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice, I've been wanting to install a filp screen tv/dvd in my car also. How do you like the Kenwood?

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lookin great!I wanted to do a touch screen to but I got a great deal on a McIntosh HU,2 Mac amps and 2 sets of MB quart seperates($1000 for all of it) I couldnt pass that up.Ive noticed a trend of Viper owners also owning Supras.Congrats on the nice cars.

Joe

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to do the same but is pretty hot in FL and I don't want to block the A/C vents., also with all the neon I have I think it would over tax the electrical system.
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
C

cirus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments.

To answer the question about the kenwood. I went out and tested most of the single din units and the kenwood blew them all away. Some of the units i tested where the alpine, clarion, eclipse, pioneer, and panasonic. Don't let the prices fool you most of these other brands do not come with built in tv tuners.. or cd players, dvd players and non of them are touch screen. A couple of the other units you could only operate with a remote which sucked.

Overall, the kenwood is the best by far and everything is built into one unit where you dont have to purchase additional equipment. The touch screen makes it really easy to operate.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Very impressive.

Could you post a shot with the screen closed?

Tx</FONT f>

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Freekin excellant job.

I guess if you had a seat lowering kit, the brains wouldn't fit?

Bobby Likis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just completed the installation of an Alpine system that is perfect. The entire system was installed by my local Alpine dealer (great guys who didn't put a scratch on my car) without drilling a single hole in my GTS. The system includes a 6-pack DVD player (yes, I have Matrix & Gladiator), an XM satellite radio receiver (it's better than advertised), Terk satellite antenna, and a single disk DVD navigation system (GPS sensor mounted on dash near burglar node). I would strongly recommend checking out Alpine's audio/video components before buying any other. www.alpine-usa.com I have plenty of pictures that I plan to post but just haven't had time to do so. I'll be happy to provide any (or all) to anyone interested. Best to contact me via e-mail.

OP
OP
C

cirus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with the seat lowering kit, I think the brain still would fit fine. There is plenty of room under there and the brain is only a little bigger then a inch high. Also you can mount the brain any where you like.

Actually the alpine was my second choice. Alpine had a lot of good features, but overall the kenwood is a much better unit IMHO. I would go out and see them for your self. The kenwood has a ton of options you can add to it like, head up display, digital direction, sirrus radio ready, you can add multiple screens right into the brain, has to sets of inputs for things like xbox etc. Also, it has a back camera feature built into it so if you have the camera mounting kit all you have to do is turn the camera around and face it out the back and you can view the people on your screen as you pass them.

Kenwood also makes a 10 gig mp3 player that plugs right into the brain that holds up to 2500 mp3s.. (my next upgrade)

The touch screen is priceless. Quick and easy and the built in tv tuner is nice and not to mention the navigation option.

Picture quality is great. Even when the sun is shining on it the picture is still crystal clear with no glare.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same unit in my Prowler. It's very nice and gets a lot of attention, especially from the kids. The touchscreen is great, you don't have to find the remote to do everyting. Plus it has hard buttons for volume, channel up/down etc.

KnwdDVD2.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang