Installing handbrake with StopTech Big Brake kit

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have installed the StopTech Big Brake (14" rotors, 4 piston calipers) but have not installed the handbrake caliper yet. I have been told that I need to shave down the brake pads a lot in order to get the calipers to fit over the rear rotors in order to install this second, handbrake-only caliper. What have others done? Does this work OK? Seems a bit weird to have to shave down the brake pad, even if it is only going to be used for the e-brake.
Thanks!!

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll only have to shave down your rear pads if they are fairly new. I had no need to shave mine down, but they were used a fair amount.

You are putting a thicker rotor on, so newer stock rear pads would need to be shaved a bit. No worries, though. It's easy.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shave them down or use an old set....its ok and the h/brake works fine. You need to do this bcause you are going to use the old rear caliper with thicker discs. Rerouting the cable is the least ideal part of the setup, with the cable almost touching the rear shocks and a tighter curve than is ideal, but it is after all only the handbrake and seems to be fine.

Just noticed you have ACR so cable should clear the rear springs with room to spare.

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your helpful responses. Especially to Joe for pointing me to the website for IPS Co. I have spoken to them and ordered a set of their billet calipers which should work great and save me a significant amount of unsprung weight as well.
I will post some pics after I install them.
Take care.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you pay extra $1000 to get the older hb kit? Because I was told that they don't make the kit to fit ABS cars so I would have to pick up hb from non ABS car. Insted I went with just front kit...3K for the rear was not worth to me.

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a used set of rear calipers for a non-abs Viper (pre-2001) but did not install them. They were damaged and required the shaved down pads as mentioned above. Check out the handbrake kit at www.IPSCO.ORG and see what you think. The price ($350) is right, assuming it all installs and works as advertised. I'll let you know.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you bought 2 sets of brakes? One front and a second for the rear? I was told that you have to buy all 4 if not then later if you want to upgrade to all 4 you would have to replace the front. Let me know how your setup works. I have new BigBrake kit installed on the front.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe, Thanks for the link. That is a beautiful set of lightweight calipers that will save a good amount of unsprung weight. I ordered them tonight. Awesome! The tuner that put the fronts on the rear never bothered to hook up a mechanical emergency brake. I have been without an emergency brake for 3 years! The upside is I will be safer, the downside is no more scaring the **** out of an unsuspecting passenger by pulling the Emergency brake @ 150 MPH for a quick 180 followed by another equally quick 180!

OP
OP
D

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ElDiablo,
I got the StopTech Big Brake kit that includes the front and rear brakes, plus the bracket for installing a pre-2001 rear caliper onto the rear to serve as a handbrake. So I am not going to keep the pre-2001 calipers, and instead will go with the IPS rear calipers (which are designed to work only as a handbrake). Maybe I can return the bracket that came with the StopTech Big Brake kit since I will not be needing it, since the IPS calipers come with brackets (the StopTEch brackets will not work with the IPS calipers)

Paolo,
Good choice!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ElDiablo,
I got the StopTech Big Brake kit that includes the front and rear brakes, plus the bracket for installing a pre-2001 rear caliper onto the rear to serve as a handbrake. So I am not going to keep the pre-2001 calipers, and instead will go with the IPS rear calipers (which are designed to work only as a handbrake). Maybe I can return the bracket that came with the StopTech Big Brake kit since I will not be needing it, since the IPS calipers come with brackets (the StopTEch brackets will not work with the IPS calipers)

Paolo,
Good choice!

Michael, It seems to be the only reasonable choice after holding one of the stock rear claipers in my hand! I bet you could develop HUGE biceps by doing alternate curls with those things!