INSTALLING SIDE EXHAUST COVERS ON GEN I

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to install the side covers with the stock insulation on a GEN I and I have a question that I'm sure many of you can answer. When installing the top of the exhaust cover over the lip on the car, does the skin of the exhaust cover slide directly over the lip on the car or does one layer of the insulation go over the lip also. For some reason I'm having a hell of a time getting them on because the lip on the car is hitting the first layer of the insulation and not allowing the cover to move close enough for the holes to line up. Should I bend the edge of the insulation down so the lip on the car slides between the exhaust cover and the insulation?
Thanks for the help.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only the aluminum cover goes above the lip; the insulation goes under. The sheet metal screws won't be long enough. Yes, bend the insulation down so that it wraps itself around the exhaust rather than butt against the side of the car.

It might help to put a center punch through one hole on one end of the cover to hold it against the car while you start the first screw at the other end of the side cover. I always had better luck starting on the top screws before the bottom ones.