Instant Car Starter/Jumper

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am having trouble finding a reliable "instant start" battery jumper. One I can keep in the car in case of battery trouble, etc. Does anyone have any good brand ideas??? Thanks.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sears one looks good. The main thing is the battery that is in the unit. Some of the cheap ones use little weak batteries that can be toast after one use. This is one of those things that you get what you pay for. If you dont know much about battery specs its easy enough to just compare the weight of units. This 18lb craftsman unit obviously would have a bigger battery than a 8lb cheapo unit.

Also, these things need to be maintained just like your car battery. Don't leave em sitting around unused for months then expect them to work. LeadAcid batteries naturally slowly discharge over time and a battery left sitting at anything less than 100% will begin degrade with sulfation. Plug in to the wall monthly to make certain fully charged.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Having been caught once with a shorted cell in Viper with 2 year old OEM battery, I started taking a "pal" along on EVERY outing...an earlier version of this:

http://www.batterymart.com/p-solar-booster-pac-es6000-jump-starter.html

I have used mine on all types of cars, trucks, and a few Vipers...and it for lasted 8 years. It weighed a TON...actually about 40 lbs.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started a similar thread about a month ago since my original battery was crapping out and the car was sitting in the garage dead. I bouht the Sears Diehard Platinum and it worked like a charm. And after all the power outages from Hurricane Sandy, it's also nice to know I have a very reliable battery backup that can power up my cell phones, computers, etc.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang