Insurance available for track?

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a company out there that will insure someone for 1 day on a track? (10 laps)

Nothing like a race but my own insurance company told me it would be at my own risk... not theirs. When I asked if I could get a supplemental policy just for that day/location they turned me down.

Thanks in advance. :drive:
Bruce

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a company out there that will insure someone for 1 day on a track? (10 laps)

Nothing like a race but my own insurance company told me it would be at my own risk... not theirs. When I asked if I could get a supplemental policy just for that day/location they turned me down.

Bruce
You can try ProSure : Motorsports Protection. Any standard insurance company is not going to go anywhere near insuring you for track racing. If you did find one the premium I would think would be cost prohibitive

Try prosure as I believe they actually offer track insurance.

Last edited:

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce

I asked State Farm years ago about insuring a vehicle that might see some track time, and not only did they not insure that vehicle, they canceled my pickup too.

I would not mention racing of any kind to your regular company.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sign in as a student and check to see what they say about it being a high performance driving school. Check with CT over at Viperdays to get their wording. I don't track my car but I have attended a few Driver Training events and it's helped me to understand a lot about the car, the tires and control.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only go to "driving school -- non -timed" events. I am covered by my insurance. I check every year to make sure I will be covered. If they were to close that window ever(as many have), I'll be done with road tracks.There is really no reason to be 'officially' timed. Someone from another run group can time you if you really need to know. Doing a couple track sessions a year is not what I would call competitive driving. It's more about a day of fun and learning your car much better.

Autocrossing is a different story. I run the risk there -- no insurance. You would have to something pretty stupid to damage your car autocrossing.

Steve

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most insurance companys will not cover your car the second it goes on a track. I was asking a similar question this past may. It dosent matter if its a driving school or not. I was told by my insurance company that the second the car is on a surface that is used for racing, the car is not covered.:( Try going to google and type in "track insurance" and see what comes up. It may seem expensive for just one day but its piece of mind.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dream On sending you a PM on my experience this September! On Track crash total loss.

OP
OP
D

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information and tips.
Just to clarify a bit... This is not a timed event or racing. Just a charity event on the Atlanta Motor Speedway. I pay $25 for a donation, and I can drive 5 laps. I'm not sure if there is a pace car but I am sure it isn't a "race". However, I will be driving at high speed and have not yet had any driver training. Also, I cannot take the financial hit if my Viper would be totaled.
I have seen that - as 01sapphirebob mentioned - most insurance companys will not cover the car the second it goes on a track - even if for a parade. Yet it doesn't seem reasonable to me that so many people can track their car and NOT have some kind of insurance.

I will check with Grundy, HPDE insurance program, Anthony & Co., and ProSure and see what options are available.

I don't intend pay $1200 to make a $50 charity donation and get 10 laps! HAHA... that would be crazy. I may be wild, but I'm not crazy. ;)

V

Venomiss

Just to clarify a bit... This is not a timed event or racing. Just a charity event on the Atlanta Motor Speedway. I pay $25 for a donation, and I can drive 5 laps. I'm not sure if there is a pace car but I am sure it isn't a "race". However, I will be driving at high speed and have not yet had any driver training. Also, I cannot take the financial hit if my Viper would be totaled.
I have seen that - as 01sapphirebob mentioned - most insurance companys will not cover the car the second it goes on a track - even if for a parade. Yet it doesn't seem reasonable to me that so many people can track their car and NOT have some kind of insurance.

I will check with Grundy, HPDE insurance program, Anthony & Co., and ProSure and see what options are available.

I don't intend pay $1200 to make a $50 charity donation and get 10 laps! HAHA... that would be crazy. I may be wild, but I'm not crazy. ;)
After calling your other options first then
call the charity and see what kind of coverage they have for the track.
Then maybe a call to the speedway and see if the can give you a referral for this kind of event.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the Nissan has a built in GPS that works with the Nav system that can detect when you are on a race track, and even see what turn you were in when you voided your warranty.

Ford got really interested when their GT were on the track.

Unless you get really lucky, you would have to assume that any wreckage caused on a track would be on your own dime. Maybe even the elimination of your liability in case you hurt someone else.

Keep really heads up. Most tracks are relatively safe places to drive if you don't drive outside your envelope.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to speak (PM) with ACR Steve who's our region treasurer. He's an insurance agent and is actually in the midst of creating this exact product.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try "Everitt Boles" on google; they are based in the UK but offer racing and HPDE event coverage here in the states.

/Rich

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You answered your own question. If you can not afford to take the hit & repair if any damage...Stay off the Track...$hit Happens....