Insurance claim for a "replacement Viper"

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insurance claim for a \"replacement Viper\"

I was recently in a small fender-bender in my Viper, with the other party 100% at fault. Since I didn't have my car back for the weekend, I rented a Panoz Roadster to attend the annual VCA picnic last Saturday. (I had intended rent a Viper, but it was unavailable and the Panoz was the same rate). I feel that it would be reasonable to make the argument that I needed a replacement car for the weekend, and so the other party's insurance company should cover the cost of the rental. When their adjuster called me today, however, he said that they were only obliged to offer basic transportation, which I had declined since I have a daily driver. Am I being unreasonable by asking for them to cover the rental? (It was $700, including tax and mileage). Has anyone had experience with asking for a true replacement rental for their damaged Viper? The adjuster sounded like I'd asked to date his 16-year-old sister or something when I talked to him about this, but I think that I'm being quite reasonable since I didn't demand a new hood or a full-time rental from them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Insurance claim for a \"replacement Viper\"

Andy,
My wife was rear ended a few months back and our insurance agent from State Farm told us the other party is responsible to replace with a comparable car. Of course we got the run around, but when I told them I would let my insurance pay for it, all I need is refusal in writing from them. They suddenly changed there mind.
If you accept anything from them they are off the hook. So I suggest letting your insurance co. deal with them for the full amount.
Dan

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

A comparable car to my Z28 from State Farm was a Geo Metro. I was p!ssed, but my lawyer said they really only had to provide a car, not a 300 hp car.

farrbar

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Your best bet is to get your company to pay you and then subrogate the claim.

On the state farm note, they have a plan (optional) that allows customers to get $500 of rental coverage per incident (regardless of the length of loss of use). So, if the car gets in a major hit and it will take weeks to fix, this stinks. However, for damage that is a quick fix this is great. I used to own an exotic car rental agency, and several of my clients were state farm customers that had a one or two day fix on their Honda Accord or Toyota Camary, but because they had the $500 rental coverage they rented a Viper or Porsche for a weekend.

However, State Farm has some harda$$ adjusters. In 1995 my 3 day old Taurus SHO was hit (with 167 miles on the clock)by a State Farm customer. I went to the adjuster's office, he walked around with a clipboard for ten minutes, then the receptionist called my name and had a check for $195, with a release form attached. I new that I could not get a new bumper for $195. I spoke with the adjuster he said he could get a used bumper from Ohio for $100. I asked if he could guarantee that the bumper only had 167 miles on it, his response was when a car leaves the lot it is a used car, thus they only have to pay for used parts.

My response (in a very loud voice) "Like a good neighbor, you bend me over and...." ok, you get the point.

Needless to say, I got new parts at my insurance co's expense, then they worked out with SF, and no my rates did not go up.

Good Luck!!

Farrbar

94 R/T 10 Black (Sold)
01 R/T 10 Yellow
03 SRT VIN# 283 Black

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I can't imagine ANY insurance company, whether at fault or not, agreeing to a parallel rental replacement on an exotic or luxury car.

Unfortunately, I think your out of luck.... but keep us posted.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are not going to believe this, but I know for a fact that if you are not at fault, and you have the proper language in your policy, that party at fault would have to pay for you to be able to drive a car of your particular level for up to two months. The reason I know this? A few years ago Maurice Liang got hit while sitting in his Viper. He told the parties insurer that the vehicle was essential to his business (they did not know he had another one!), so they paid for him to drive a premium car for almost two months. I want to say that they agreed on something like $500 per DAY? Anyway, it is your responsibility to negotiate with the persons insurance company to get what you want. Make your case and you could get the same consideration.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

YES you are entitled to a comparable car. I believe the Panoz is reasonable....for EVERY DAY THE CAR IS GONE. I was hit by a honda civic in my BMW 740i. The other insurance resisted at first, then I threatened subrogation. They authorized renting a luxury car of value up to $79K or renting anything that costs less. I rented jaguars, town cars, navigators, cadillacs for a month. Just be a hard nose.....does your back hurt?
laugh.gif

OP
OP
N

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After talking with my insurance company, they faxed me the section of Washington State vehicle code that supports this. In short, the code says that I'm entitled to a replacement vehicle comparable to the vehicle that I was deprived of. (This is in an at-fault situation. For a first-party claim my policy limits me to $40 per day). Interestingly, the code also says that I do not actually have to rent the vehicle to be entitled to the damage. I've posted the code as it was faxed to me at http://www.wavca.org/accidentrental.tif . (To get the file, right-click on this link and select "save target as"). I called their adjuster back, who told me that this was the first that they'd heard of it. They're going to look at it, though, and let me know if my $700 rental was covered. If it is, then I may need another car over the weekend - hmmmm....maybe something convertible?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go get them! I hope you get to drive a dream car for a month? I bet they fix your car faster!

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Go get them! I hope you get to drive a dream car for a month? I bet they fix your car faster!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but......

I know I would initially feel the same way regarding a like car rental. But this costs money. Who pays? If you think it's not you, then who do you think it is? The insurance company?
laugh.gif

'course it's spread out over all of us so you don't see the full brunt of it at once, but you pay when I insist, and Joe insists, and Mike insists. I understand the emotion but I don't know if I'd go to the mat over this.

(I just avoid all accidents no matter what.
supergrin.gif
)

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntmatter:
They're going to look at it, though, and let me know if my $700 rental was covered. If it is, then I may need another car over the weekend - hmmmm....maybe something convertible?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Screw that.....the weekend? Rent it till its DONE!!!
laugh.gif
Or keep the money for viper mods!!! $700/day adds up!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I work at an insurance company, so I understand that everyone pays for it. But if anyone is going to get the benefit I would rather see a Viper owner get it.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ntmatter,
I recently had a situation where my wife was driving my XK8 convertible and was hit by a guy running a stop sign. Not only did the guy's insurance company offer to supply a rental of similar value ( mercedes E500 with a little gentle persuading ) but in their latest insurance settlement they are offering $12,000.00 for the depreciation in value due to the fact that the car has now been in a collision. I would suggest to anyone who is currently dealing with an at fault accident to pursue this as in may states and provinces you are legally required to disclose any accidents and in doing so the value of your premium automobile is affected. Keep in mind that you are entitled to reparation of all damages that you suffer and can prove, get an appraisal of you vehicle with and without the accident disclosure.

Steve

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
I work at an insurance company, so I understand that everyone pays for it. But if anyone is going to get the benefit I would rather see a Viper owner get it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Unfortunately, everyone feels the same regarding their right to a benefit. And so it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4