Insurance Question...AGAIN!

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What insurance company are you guys using? I was quoted 2800 from my Liberty Mutual. They told me they don't insure Vipers at all but they would make an exception because I am a long time customer in good standing.

I think that number is ludicrous. I'm 33, no tickets ever (until I get my Viper :cool: ) no accidents (knock on wood). I just don't get it.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Oh yeah, I insure 3 other cars w/ them and my house.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It pays to shop around on insurance. When I first bought my Viper in 97 my insurance company dropped me (wouldn't insure a Viper). No wrecks, tickets in previous 10 years. I got quotes ranging from $2200 to $3600. I went with the $2200 company (Progressive). Six months later, after attending my first VCA meeting and finding out others were insured with State Farm and Nationwide, I switched to State Farm when they offered me a $1200 rate. So that's almost a $2400 variance between quotes. Plus, if you switch your homeowners policy to the new company, you'll probably get an additional 10% discount on both policies. Try State Farm, Nationwide, USAA.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid $120 a month for my 94 RT/10 and now I pay $122 a month for my GTS, that is with Progressive and I am 21 with a clean driving history.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I use Geico, 1400/year with the whole nine yards... I recently added a second vehicle to that policy, and it dropped to 1300.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check Hagerty. Go online and pick how much coverage you wanted amd it will give you an idea much much it will cost. I would think it will be waaaay cheaper than 2800. Good luck.

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just shopped insurance. I have 1 ticket & 1 accident, I'm 44 and I live in the los angeles area. State Farm quoted me $10,500 for the year. Mercury was $8200. Allstate was $5725. Finally I got it from Progressive at about $300 a month or $3600 for the year. I couldn't believe how expense it was! My 2004 Z06 was $91 a month. I was told that the viper is on the insurance companies hit list and has a 50% surcharge out here in LA.

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had to add to my previous post..........is anyone else out here in the LA area getting as screwed on insurance as me? Everyone elses numbers seem great, but most of you are on the East coast.

Sleepersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am with State Farm, I pay $960 a year. 35 years old, no accidents in over 5 years and no speeding tickets since 1993. Two words, Valentine 1.

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am with State Farm, I pay $960 a year. 35 years old, no accidents in over 5 years and no speeding tickets since 1993. Two words, Valentine 1.

Two more words: "Tulsa" "Oklahoma". Insurance rates are more sensitive to where one lives than one's driving record. $960 is cheap!

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2003 SRT in May and had to switch from Liberty Mutual (15 year customer) to State Farm because Liberty Mutual wouldn't insure the car. I have another car with them and have been ticket and accident free for 15 years (knock on wood). State Farm is the best paying insurance company (I am an attorney and know their paying record) and they put me in their lowest rate bracket because of my good driving record. I pay $1920/year for both cars, and my other is a $32,000 2005 Nissam Pathfinder. SO, I bet that I pay around $1200/year for the Viper. They also told me that because of the group that I/m in, my first ticket will be forgiven. The Viper is an expensive car and doesn't crash well. If that were to happen, you want an insurance company with an excellent payout reputation. You may pay a little more for State Farm compared to Progressive, but it's worth it. Plus, I live in Charlotte, NC where there are a lot of illegals, so get as much Uninsured Motorist Coverage as possible. If you get hit by Manuel Labor, you want the full amount for your car. Liberty Mutuals coverage wasn't enough anyway. I also have my house with State Farm, so there is a discount applied. But, their house rates were also better than Liberty Mutual. Have a good one!

OP
OP
P

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far the best has been Hagerty and Nationwide coming in around $1700 a far cry from my insurance company quoting me $2800.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In SoCal as well, I ended up with Hagerty at a grand per year. As Newport Viper stated AAA was the next best choice. If your car is a daily driver, which mine is not, go with AAA. I believe it was about $1,400/yr with 250,000/500,000 limits for me.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In SoCal as well, I ended up with Hagerty at a grand per year. As Newport Viper stated AAA was the next best choice. If your car is a daily driver, which mine is not, go with AAA. I believe it was about $1,400/yr with 250,000/500,000 limits for me.

Good call. Mine is a daily driver.

Camfab what year was that quote for?

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My insurance runs $806 per year-full coverage 100/300K, 1000 ded collision. There is some value to living in a deep freeze zone...

I have State Farm.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport, the quote was for a 2000 ACR. By the way, thanks for giving me the heads up last year. Your agent was a real nice guy, I would use him if my car was a daily driver.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Getting insurance quotes and comparing them to others quotes are not possible.

I'm not an agent but have been paying high dollar insurance rates since I was 16. I'm 30 now and [******] has not changed. Insurance rates are based on alot of things, for instance. Are you married? Kids? what else is insured with that company? How much coverage do you want? etc, etc. So Pythonpete when comparing prices with say a married person with kids that has 3 other cars insured and a house with that company will be way different than say you being single 33 and no kids,other cars and no tickets.

The way i set mine up was strickly pleasure use.
mine is just over 1000.00/year with 1000.00 deductibles.
I'm 30 with 2 kids and 2 other cars and 2tickets.
The only good thing about living here in Ohio is that I drop my insurance down to Fire/Theft for the winter and i get a refund check for a overpaid premium.
Either way stick with a company that will be around if something goes wrong.....

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I pay 800 per year with USAA with one ticket in 10 years. I live in Southern Wisconsin equadistant between Chicago and Milwaukee. No one can touch USAA but, obviously, you have to be active or former military.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have allstate. I thought I was getting a DECENT deal per Viper. Paying about 750 per every 6 months. State Farm just quoted me and I'm swicthing immediatly as they quoted 364 for every 6 months. And that is for 100/300 ( Allstate was 50/100).... Might want to try state farm, for some reason with me, they are going to save me over 50%.

G

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay $1200 a year with very high limits.It all depends what state you are in and how many companies your agent can shop it around to.Today your credit score is more of a factor then the car you drive.Be careful with the collector policies.I am an insurance broker and I dont write my cars there because of the limitations on the policy.If your car is a garage queen then they are fine but if you go out to dinner or away with it be careful.

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's say you are 51 and drive a Viper. Your wife is 44 and drives a 745. Your son is 20 and drives a Dakota: Your wife is the primary driver for the Viper, your son drives the BMW and you are the primary driver for the Dakota. It makes a big difference trust me. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten