Intermittent Bucking/Loss of Power

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I have finally developed a small, intermittent problem that plagues most Vipers.

While driving down the highway in 6th gear, I feel a loss in power. I slow down and downshift to 4th, and I try to punch it. The engine feels like it is bogged down. I figure the plugs may be fouled, so I pull over, check everything, and go back out. The problem seems to be gone. However, to be sure, I decided to replace all 10 plugs with new Champions.

Today, the same thing happens. I'm in 2nd gear at about 3k RPM's. I punch it, and nothing happens. The engine stays at 3k RPM's, and feels like it is
"bogging down." I let off the throttle, and stop the car. I start it back up, and everything is fine again. I can punch it at 3k, and a I get the normal pull.

What gives? This problem sounds strange to me... all the gauges appear to be working. The battery is fully charged. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Rashad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be fuel related.. I dont know much about the viper in particular, but it seems to be either fuel or spark. Perhaps you need to clean the injectors? The battery wont matter since your alternator runs the car while the engine is running. Good luck on this.. im sure someone on here knows...

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else want to venture a guess? Does this sound like a fuel filter problem? The car just hit 12k miles on the odometer...

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had simular issues with mine , are you getting check engine lite?
We replaced: map, O2, & de carboned treatment, cleaned throttle bodies.

But it still came back. until someone said to change the battery. It worked, but I dont know why.
Pete

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahhh, this just happened to me... I couldn't figure it OUT!!! It was bogging so hard and bucking it hurt my back at times... I replace plugs, wires, etc etc....No matter what I did with the gas, the car wouldn't respond at times..My car did it at 20,000 miles....I also showed no check engine light..

I had a friend who has a garage and had one of those DBII sensors or whatever the heck they are called....

what did it say when we plugged it in?????

Throttle position sensor.. That little black plug on the drivers side Throttle body, amazing how a small plastic peice effects the drivability.. It slowly got worse and worse.. I contacted a friend who had a 1997 GTS (yes, the man with two vipers that lives in Tampa) and we switch TB position sensors (takes about uhhhh 30 seconds to switch).. bingo, I went into Dodge dealership and ordered another one.. I think it was like 70 bucks..

oh and also, don't ignore it, it just get worse and worse...

hope that helped..
Gerald

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check:
Fuel filters
Battery voltage (are you running accessories like AC?)
ODB-II readings
TPS
MAP Sensor

Long shot: a failing CAT can cause symptoms like this.
Clean injectors.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once experienced "Intermittent Bucking/Loss of Power".

After checking her Fuel filter, voltage, ODB-II readings, "TPS", MAP sensor, cleaning her injectors and feeding her CAT without any improvements I just decided it would be easier to dump her and got a new girlfriend than to start counseling. She said I was shallow and had issues with independant women.

Those bucks that can hurt your back at times just aren't worth the risks...

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahhh, this just happened to me... I couldn't figure it OUT!!! It was bogging so hard and bucking it hurt my back at times... I replace plugs, wires, etc etc....No matter what I did with the gas, the car wouldn't respond at times..My car did it at 20,000 miles....I also showed no check engine light..

I had a friend who has a garage and had one of those DBII sensors or whatever the heck they are called....

what did it say when we plugged it in?????

Throttle position sensor.. That little black plug on the drivers side Throttle body, amazing how a small plastic peice effects the drivability.. It slowly got worse and worse.. I contacted a friend who had a 1997 GTS (yes, the man with two vipers that lives in Tampa) and we switch TB position sensors (takes about uhhhh 30 seconds to switch).. bingo, I went into Dodge dealership and ordered another one.. I think it was like 70 bucks..

oh and also, don't ignore it, it just get worse and worse...

hope that helped..
Gerald

Hmmm, sounds like it could be it... you said that you got no check engine light, but was able to read the TPS was malfunctioning with an OBDII scan tool.

I thought a check engine code had to light up before a code would register. Am I wrong here?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno, but check it. I can't recall seeing a light.. I'm probably wrong though. you know, now that I think about it, I remember seeing a light after I unplugged battery to get a fresh reading for the ODB sensor...... I would bet this is your problem..

Gerald

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee, sp?, sounds like it could be the tps. Sometimes ces will not illuminate. If you want me to check tps function, email me. John

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee, sp?, sounds like it could be the tps. Sometimes ces will not illuminate. If you want me to check tps function, email me. John

Sounds like "Ling", spelled Linh :) You were close enough! Anyhow, I'll send you a PM...

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a quick way you can POSSIBLY see if it's the TPS sensor (which I have a sneaking suspicion it is) is to just take it out now (takes 30 seconds) and clean it very good inside and inside where it plugged into.. Sometimes oil and gunk make their way in there an cause the TPS sensor to not tell the car how much resistance there is (how far open the Throttle bodies are, hence the loss of power and bucking like the TB's are out of sync) If it still runs the same the problem isn't the dirt or gunk, just that you might need a NEW TPS sensor..

Gerald

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX