Is adding aftermarket stripes same as buying a striped Viper?

C5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really want a Viper with stripes but maybe there is another option. Buying a non-striped Viper and getting stripes painted on. Has anyone done this and were the results as good as the stock Viper stripes and what was the cost? Just looking at all options.
Thanks.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the same. The factory stripes are aligned with a lazer and are perfectly staight. Aftermarkets are sometimes great and other times..... well, not so good.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see why not. I've seen painted stripes that look better than factory, but make sure whoever does is highly recommended by the Viper community. I wouldn't know how much, but I'm sure many do.... If I had to guess, $2000 for a properly done job. You don't want to skimp on paint work for a Viper, IMO.

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went through the same thing. I had my heart set on a striped GTS, but found my black RT/10 and decided to go with silver stripes. I'm going to have vinyl put on first to make sure I really like it. Then after a year or so, I'll see how I feel and if I still like them I'll get them painted on. If figure it'll be worth spending $250 for the vinyl just to make sure. Once they're painted, you're stuck with them.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went right to having stripes painted on. Chris Barone of East Coast Performance in West Orange, NJ did the work and what an outstanding job. He applied several color coats then a clear coat on top so that the finish has amazing depth but you also can't feel a ridge.

Just do it! All real Vipers have stripes.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I looked for almost 2 yrs for a clean yellow 95 with tan int and had my heart set on stripes. I infact had worked a deal with local folks to do the work for about $2200. I got real lucky and found the car and to my surprise the original owner painted the stripes and they have a dimension to them in black that tape cannot compete with. Also you can have the stripes done more through and through ie the lic plate area unlike the factory stripes which really looks good.

good luck !

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend against it, then your car will be classified as a "repaint". The VIN tells the correct color combo for the car. Just buy the right car when you see it.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
C5, check with Sean Roe. He had his car repainted and included stripes, looks excellent, he could give you a lead in the Florida area anyway.

GoldMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm also in Florida (Orlando Area) & looking for someone to paint Black stripes on my Red RT/10... I've got vinyl stripes on it now & REALLY like them !!!

Anyone got a recommendation of a good painter here in Florida ???

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Jim McHugh @ 954.989.4285 He is in located Hollywood.
He has painted at least 6 of my cars and will be getting my Viper in two weeks.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put vinyl on mine a year ago to see how I liked it and I love it. The vinyl cost about $150 for 3 mil. I am going to have them painted on as soon as the weather breaks up here.(winter) The only problem I had with the vinyl is the front fascia. The hood is "bowed" and the stripe did not want to come down the front straight so I ended the stipe above the emblem. Just do it, you will love it.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting my Red 94 striped with Diamond silver pearl (98 Caddy) color. I have it on my Camaro and it really looks good, especially at night depending on how the light hits it. Local body shop said about $1,500 with clear coat.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been trying to get stripes painted on mine for about six months. No one in the area will touch it. I can't see how vinyl would be a bad thing but I want it to go through the front fascia.

Most tell me that you will get a crease or two when doing it. Any opinions?

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
I have been trying to get stripes painted on mine for about six months. No one in the area will touch it. I can't see how vinyl would be a bad thing but I want it to go through the front fascia.

Most tell me that you will get a crease or two when doing it. Any opinions?

You can use a heat gun to form them to any non flat surface. I work with Vinyl everday and also have applied many stripes for various vehicles. We do tons of vinyl work all the time. If anyone is interested, we could probably get really cheap prices on vinyl stripe kits. A heat gun is a must and a wet application is the best method for applying them.

To comment to the original thread, i would say do what you want and not worry about what the title says, chances are it will help sell it to the next person who really likes what you have done!

Good luck!

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Painted? My Final Edition GTS has them taped on. They are not painted... Are they supposed to be?

Mike

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Painted? My Final Edition GTS has them taped on. They are not painted... Are they supposed to be?

Mike

I'm sure your FE is not taped on stripes. The factory puts them on over the clear coat giving them the raised edge feel, but I assure you that if you have an Final Edition it came with painted stripes.

I'm assuming that you are the 1st owner and that it has not been repainted.

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the owner of the dealership drove it for the first 2000 miles but I am the first registered owner.

I think it is tape. I am going to go check now.

Maybe it is paint. I would never have thought it was, and now I look at the car entirely differently. Weird. Definate raised edge, but I guess it could be paint. I know nothing about the car. I don't deserve it.

Mike

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is tape. I am going to go check now. Maybe it is paint. I would never have thought it was, and now I look at the car entirely differently. Weird. Definate raised edge, but I guess it could be paint. I know nothing about the car. I don't deserve it.
Mike

You appear a touch freaked out!

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend against it, then your car will be classified as a "repaint". The VIN tells the correct color combo for the car. Just buy the right car when you see it.

Repaint? What kind of logic is that? No wonder Viper prices have hit the skids if that's the kind of ridulous "garage queen" mentality that prevailes in our own backyard no less!

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not in the VIN, but yes it is documented on the car with a second paint code. That second paint code is the stripe color. Approx. 25% of GTS's have stripes from the factory.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Original paint,after market paint,vinyl.To me they all look cheap,ricer,camaro.....I'll add stripes when Ferrari does.Can you tell I don't like them? Bruce

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with adding your own stripes and personalizing the car the way you want it! That's what makes these cars so special. No two are alike. I wouldn't hesitate to try vinyl at first, and then work your way from there. I purchased my snake with vinyl stripes and sits just fine with me :) .

- To the untrained eye..... less is more :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang